Justin

What do you think of John Williams score to Minority Report  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• It's incredible. I LOVE it!
    • It's very good. I really like it.
    • It's not bad. I can listen to it.
    • It's pretty bad. I don't like it.
    • It sucks so bad. John Williams is a hack and he deserves to die for this insult to film music.
    • I don't have it

What do you think of Johnny's latest score?

I love it big time. :D

Justin -Wondering if anyone will vote for the second to last option. :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must shamefully admit that I have yet to buy the cd. I have heard it but not enough to vote yet. Loved the film however, except for one thing. The cinematography was the worst. I know the DOP was going for the look but it just plain annoyed me. The washed out blue was in a word yuck. But everything else was great. I didn't blame Anderton for wanting to murder this guy.

Joe

Justin, nothing Williams writes would ever make me vote for the second to last option. Maybe a couple in between.

Jeff -- who LOVES this score.

I can listen to it but it's not my favorite, although I do enjoy the beautiful rendition of Shmi's Theme in "Sean by Agatha". Overall, I think Harry Potter and Attack of the Clones are superior scores, but I tend to like the more thematic, melodious scores better.

I can listen to it but it's not my favorite, although I do enjoy the beautiful rendition of Shmi's Theme in "Sean by Agatha".  Overall, I think Harry Potter and Attack of the Clones are superior scores, but I tend to like the more thematic, melodious scores better.

Hey Dole, there's plenty of melodies and themes in this score. Just not as blatant as the typical Williams score:

The Pre-crime motif

Sean's Theme

Agatha's/Anne Lively's Theme

Spyder's Theme (awesome!)

Running Theme (though not a major theme)

Once you identify them, you'll find them everywhere in the score.

Hw is it that 44% voted for the second to last choice? If that was you vote then get you butt of a JW fan page.

Billybobab-Who thinks that that choice should be eliminated due to idiocity

I thought Minority Report was fine. It's not the best, but it's hard to turn down a track like "Everybody Runs!" or that CE3K-esque sound of "Can You See?" or the strings in the middle of "Psychic Truth" or the beautiful "A New Beginning." Not to mention that cool Precrime motif--especially the film version right after the vision of the Sarah Marks murder--the one with the high-pitched celesta(?), cued up with the first shot of Tom Cruise walking into the Precrime offices.

I wish that would get an extended version--even though it doesn't really need it. Mainly I'd want it just for the original source music--like the Precrime commercial and walking through the ads to the subway. The classical cues would be nice to have, just to add more of the movie to the soundtrack.

I dunno,I didn't like it,like most of Attack of the Clones,His action music is somewhat far deriving very far from his usual thematic style approach.Unfortunately I don't like this new style.

I do like a lot that nice melody on the last track.Alas,there is always one or 2 tracks that have kept me purchasing Willliams score albums,even the not so good ones(I basically only listen to Back to America in Angela's Ashes)As far as other composers goi I quit Horner and Goldsmith a long time ago.

I did buy Elfman's Spiderman as an exception.

K.M.

I LOVE the Minority Report score (and movie for that matter). It serves its purpose perfectly, and is a wonderful listening experience apart from the film also. The action cues are great, as are the more moving ones. "Sean" by Agatha almost makes me cry.

Ray Barnsbury

....(I basically only listen to Back to America in Angela's Ashes)

Since I no longer regard Schindler's List as a film score as I think it rightfully belongs to the classical music genre and should be transcribed into a concerto for violin or at least a string quartet, Angela's Ashes have thus become my finest Williams' film score to ever have. What I want to say is that Back to America track is the only "drawback" of this effort since a tad too much of Hornerism creeps in so in fact the only thing for which you, king mark, listen to Angela's Ashes seems not to be a 100% Williams'.

Are you sure you listen to John Williams for pure John Williams' writing? :?:

I bought the CD straight after I saw the film, then got it home and realised it was an impulsive decision and a mistake. The album blended together to easily, I couldn't remember one track from another, it was all eerie strings and wailing women. The action track was good but lost its zazz after a few listenings.

Then I saw the film again (as I make a point to once I've purchased a score) and listened to it in context. Then, after a few more listenings at home, I could identify, and appreciate, the subtle differences between each track. And I began to like the score much more. I enjoyed the heartbeat-like beginning, the PreCrime momentum, the excellent Spyders, the melancholically perfect Sean's theme, the thrilling chase, the disturbing Confrontation (preceded by a haunting rendition of Sean's theme), the tense climax, and lastly, the satisfying conclusion.

Not a perfect score, I still like them more melodic, but this works in the film fine as it is. I give Johnny 7/10. Good work.

Probably Hornershriners or even a couple of very disappointed Williams fans...

I'd say some Hornershriners for sure because a John Williams fan that was disappointed with this score should know that he can make up for it, and will pretty soon. Furthermore, if for no other reason, a John Williams fan will never choose that second to last option just because of the word "die" in it. That was a bad option... shouldn't have been included there at all!! :)

Sure it should have mr. hornerscore. It doesn't hold a candle to my nemesis' score. Besides it was dark humour. Don't you like dark humour.

Its the choice I chose. I might relent a little if John writes a theme for me.

My wrath will be huge if I have to settle for a theme by Mr. Ross.

My name is Tom and don't you forget it.

Potter where are you, I am waiting?

Since I no longer regard Schindler's List as a film score as I think it rightfully belongs to the classical music genre

That is the dumbest thing i have ever heard in my life.

It's film music, it will always BE film music.

End of discussion.

Stefancos- :roll:

I can listen to it but it's not my favorite, although I do enjoy the beautiful rendition of Shmi's Theme in "Sean by Agatha".  Overall, I think Harry Potter and Attack of the Clones are superior scores, but I tend to like the more thematic, melodious scores better.

Hey Dole, there's plenty of melodies and themes in this score. Just not as blatant as the typical Williams score:

The Pre-crime motif

Sean's Theme

Yeah, quantity, not quality.

Since I no longer regard Schindler's List as a film score as I think it rightfully belongs to the classical music genre

That is the dumbest thing i have ever heard in my life.

It's film music, it will always BE film music.

End of discussion.

Stefancos- :roll:

You're wrong, Stefan. Schindler's List stopped being a film score YEARS AGO. It's just part of the inexorable cycle of life.

The Pre-crime motif

Sean's Theme

No, just don't jump at you.

The Pre-crime motif

Sean's Theme

No, just don't jump at you.

Yeah, instead, they slink away into obscurity because they're so ashamed of having been composed at all.

Schindler's List si film socre, and a bloody god one. I couldn't care less to whether it is considered a film score or classical music. I tend to think it's both. BUt who cares? It's music...wonderful music.

Some pieces of classical music like Grieg's Peer Gynt are not very unlike to modern day film scores in their orrigin, sice it was composed as incidental music to a stage play of the same name.

Only an anal snob would seperate film music from classical music. What next, are ballets and opera's not classical music?

And there is nothing wrong with MR themes :)

....(I basically only listen Back to America track is the only "drawback" of this effort since a tad too much of Hornerism creeps in so in fact the only thing for which you' date=' king mark, listen to Angela's Ashes seems not to be a 100% Williams'.

? :?:[/quote']

Sorry dude,I've been listening to Williams for 20 years.Back to America is pure Williams.

K.M.

I LOVE the score. "Anderton's Great Escape" is my favorite action piece so far of anything I've heard. I think that the reason I like it, and the rest of the score, for that matter, is because it is a very stereotypical and simple (yet complex, as well) score. I love simplicity. The first hit in the afore mentioned track told me that I was going to love that one. "Sean's Theme" is marvelous, and I can't think of any other Williams song like it. It seems almost classical to me. Overall, this is a great score, I think.

~Conor

Hi everyone! I've just bought Minority Report used from a little cd shop in Indy for $7.99 US. I didn't think I'd ever get to hear it because money has been tight as of late.

Haven't voted yet, just popping it in the player now!

:mrgreen: track 01. Minority Report

Well,i saw the film today,which I liked,and must say the music was mixed in well loud enough and fit the movie perfectly.As a score album or stand alone music,it doesn't work for me.

k.m.Who must consistently remind himself film music is film music,though some stand alone better than other.

Yeah, instead, they slink away into obscurity because they're so ashamed of having been composed at all.

Not true. The score is meant to function in a kind of low key, not too blatant way (except the action sequences I guess). Like Williams stated in an interview, it isn't one of his scores that he expects people to hum as they walk out of the theater. Of course this is unlike most of his scores which contain great, unforgettable themes that immediately get everyone's attention.

Sorry, no time to post over the weekend. That's the delay.

Thanks for a cool nickname, Morn. I won't start digging myself a sepulcher for having overestimated the worth of Schindler's List score. I didn't do any wrong at that. I have come through some contemporary classical music analysis and certain parts in SL --although primarily a film score-- are regarded as a classical music (and some other scores have been mentioned there as well). I have my own sentiment to this, no need to copy and brag about anyone else's words, but I fully identify with those who else ennobled --among some other scores-- SL into a classical music realm.

Only an anal snob would seperate film music from classical music. What next, are ballets and opera's not classical music?

How on Earth can you automatically consider a film score a classic music? I need you give me a lesson then. I've so far thought film scores (and ballet music and others as you suggest) are PART of classical music provided they are themselves composed as a classical music, nothing gets achieved automatically. Have you ever heard (I believe you did) Stravinsky's The Soldier's Tale or his Octet? Are you considering them a classical music? If you do, then I apologize for all I've said so far and you don't have to read on, a waste of time.

Well, composers such as Hans Zimmer, Jan Hammer, David Newman, Wendy Carlos and even now-popular Howard Shore and many others they also do compose some of their scores in classical style, but a healthy number of what they did and done is not a classical music in its roots. Or, as myself being a Czech and cannot speak/read English very well, then find me a better word to denominate the style in which Mahler did his ninth and Williams his Schindler and then compare it to, say, The Rock or 48 Hours film scores and make me believe they belong into the same genre. If these film scores are considered classical music and anyone who tries to separate them from classical is thought an anal snob, then I don't belong in here but I won't shed a tear.... I usually don't for nothing.

I think the The Rock is more like rock music. I consider it almost a pop film score :) I am against considering a film score not classical music unless it becomes a classic score. If it's of a classical style I think there is no reason to not call it classical music.

Well, I think that just about everything Williams has done should be considered classical music. Because Williams is strongly rooted in classical tradition.

OK, I like it so I voted for 2.

Now as for Angela's Ashes, both the main title and Back to America are fantastic, so is the rest of the score mind you. It's one of my favorite JW albums (not the American version though)

Not true. The score is meant to function in a kind of low key, not too blatant way (except the action sequences I guess). Like Williams stated in an interview, it isn't one of his scores that he expects people to hum as they walk out of the theater. Of course this is unlike most of his scores which contain great, unforgettable themes that immediately get everyone's attention.

But this "low key, not too blatant" approach originated with Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones -- rather curious, wouldn't you say?

Minority Report is hardly a major departure in Williams's oeuvre, despite Mr Spielberg's promotional blather.

Ok Alan. We see that you don't like the score.

Thanks for sharing it with us over and over and over again.

Justin - :)

But this "low key, not too blatant" approach originated with Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones -- rather curious, wouldn't you say?

It's called maturity :)

It's called maturity :)

It's called senility. :)

I think it's a very interesting score, if middling for JW. It works quite well in a supportive way rather than as another character in the film. Perhaps though, this score got the crumbs off the composer's table after Clones.

I voted "its not bad". Man, this just IS NOT the John Williams I grew up with. I dunno what happened to "Johnny" with this one but it plays like the experimental 1970's Goldsmith stuff. Which ain't bad in and of itself but its NOT my thing. :sigh: