Jerry Goldsmith DVD

Hitch

Just got my Jerry Goldsmith DVD from MUSIC FROM THE MOVIES in the mail this morning.

What can I say? Simply fan-f***ing-tastic. To see Jerry getting his Oscar for THE OMEN and hearing his acceptance speech brought tears to my eyes. That and hearing him playing the theme from POLTERGEIST. Bravo to MFTM for making this possible. Get it while you can. Now to get one of Johnny and Benny.

Hitch, happy at last.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What can I say?  Simply fan-f***ing-tastic.  To see Jerry getting his Oscar for THE OMEN and hearing his acceptance speech brought tears to my eyes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience this reaction.

Neil

Congratulations on your new arrival.

In answer to your query: Prayer, Mr Stewart. Klingons don't take prisoners. But when they do, you'll be the first to know.

Sounds great. Must get it sometime, but at the moment i'm just working to pay money off. Let's hope the DVD is around for some time?.

Got it today, too.

The 1-hour-recording footage is a revelation in the sense that it's really the first in-depth coverage of the recording process and you see composer and musicians really wrestling with 20 seconds of music, trying to get it right.

While the orchestra players get rather noisy at times Goldsmith looks more like a kindergartner trying to be heard and looking a bit uneasy and looking on his watch frequently.

As noted the Botnick interview is a really great one, Botnick notes how he recorded 'E.T.' because Williams attended the 'Poltergeist' sessions, Goldsmith's special rapport with Verhoeven, the 'Total Recall' munich experience and a wealth of other things.

All in all it's a great DVD which is a sad reminder that he's gone almost a year now :P

I got my copy on monday, quiet fast shipping here. Unfortunatelly, with all the work I've been having, haven't had the chance to fully watch the whole thing.

While I congratulate everyone involved on the making of the original documentary and this new DVD release, I can't help thinking that the production values could be a litle higher: a booklet might have been to much to ask, but a small paer with some little information and chapeter list would be nice. Of course, since we don't have chapters, it probably don't really mind. Also, the menus look a little amatourish.

But this is still a great adition to the collection of nayone who loves music. For me is great to have all the extras and the original film on a more trsuty medium than that of a tape.

Just one final note... my disc, while the package arrived safelly, came with a very little scratch. AS far as I can tell, it don't even affect playback, but this is likelly to have been a problem while packing the discs on the boxes.

So, my final veridict is, go get it while it lasts!

I got my at last.

This is just a great DVD for everyone who seriously interested in subject. And a perfect tribute to wonderful talent - JERRY GOLDSMITH.

Somebody just should to do the same for old Johnny!

1500 copies, over half of which have been sold.

I wonder why is this taking so long to sold out... I know some people find it expensive, but surelly, that's because you don't live in Portugal! Sadly, that's the regular price of anew release around here :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, reviewing this thread has compelled me to speed up my purchase of it. I thought I could wait, already having the doc, but all those extras......

Ordered!

People who haven't yet should hurry up, less than 250 left. And once that spreads around, all the hundreds of stragglers are going to be running to MFTM (so far I've been lucky with this phenominon in the soundtrack world- I've ordered just intime, like 5 minutes before a given item was sold out).

Man, I'm really running low on money....but I gave in and bought a copy. I'm sure I won't regret it. If I run out of money completly, I'll just sell it on ebay.

THis is better be worth it. I'm postponing the completion of my lego cathedral because of this.

I can't vouch for the extras (which sound great), but if you've never seen the documentry, it was well worth it. It is a fantastic documentry, which no fan of Jerry Goldsmith should go without.

Like Merkel, I'm running low on money right now, but I broke down and bought just now. I know it will be well worth the investment.

Would anyone who has a copy of the Goldsmith DVD tell me how many minutes total are the contents?

Thanks so much.

Its probably about 4 hours of stuff. The extras are awesome. The best extra is the extended recording session footage. To be a fly on the wall to see what is involved in a Jerry session is amazing beyond words.

Got mine in the mail yesterday!!!! Didn't get to watch it yet, but hopefully tonight. My wife even said she would watch it with me. I'm converting her. Slowly, but it's working.