Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... but that edit of Duel of the Fates was done for the album, and we all know Williams himself supposedly selects the music that is going to be on the album, so that particular piece would be Williams approved.

Well, it happened several times in Williams OSTs that the concert/album arrangements of the main themes were editorially created using bits and pieces from end credits suites or other cues. I'm sure he oversees and approves everything that ends up on the official OST album.

I like some of these edits, like the Superman Chasing Rockets / Superfeats edits on the original album release.

Jason, you do need to get that Musical Journey DVD, the 5.1 mixes alone are worth the purchase!

Yea I think for whatever reason, when I bought the OST I got a version w/o the DVD. I was kind of in a film score low-point from like 2005-2006ish, didn't pay much attention to stuff

Jason,

Next time you get some CD's, be sure to pick up the ROTS score...I think you can still get the ROTS score that has the Musical Journey DVD from Amazon. Or even better yet, email Peter (Movie Music) and see if he has copies of the ROTS OST with the Musical Journey DVD and get it from him.

It sucks that there is dialogue interlaced with the music on the Musical Journey DVD because a lot of the cues sound so much better, especially for the Original Trilogy cues.

Hahahaha. I just pulled my ROTS OST off the shelf, and I DO have the DVD. I guess I just never watched it.

I think I was just so disappointed with everything prequel related by the time the midnight showing of ROTS was over I just didn't care anymore.

I think Neil claimed that the 5.1 mixes were artificially created from the stereo CD tracks. However, I can't believe "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi / Light of the Force" came from either the Anthology or RCA CD. If it did, it's an amazing CD restoration.

Might be a hoax. In fact it looks strangely similar to my TPM Cue-by-Cue Edit, but it it IS ture, it's wonderful news. Or is it Trent's edit?

But I won't get my hopes up unless SONY makes an official announcement and I see a track listing.

Might be a hoax. In fact it looks strangely similar to my TPM Cue-by-Cue Edit, but it it IS ture, it's wonderful news. Or is it Trent's edit?

But I won't get my hopes up unless SONY makes an official announcement and I see a track listing.

You posted in the wrong thread lmao....the track list is indeed from my set...the guy stated he was just wondering if it may look like from the track list I made up. I mean I'm not holding my breath or anything...but who knows what will happen. If we do finally get a complete intended edition for TPM, AOTC and ROTS I would buy them.

You posted in the wrong thread lmao....the track list is indeed from my set...the guy stated he was just wondering if it may look like from the track list I made up. I mean I'm not holding my breath or anything...but who knows what will happen. If we do finally get a complete intended edition for TPM, AOTC and ROTS I would buy them.

Don't see how that's possible as this window wasn't open at all - the only JWFan tab I had open at the time was that thread, I was in the other thread. Anyways, it would have probably been merged here anyway...

I certainly would not hesitate to add them to my collections either. And we'd finally have the truth about the order it goes in (as we're all working with guesswork - albeit very good, trustworthy guesswork)

I've been listening to the rear channels of the German DVD from when Anakin becomes Vader and the music that is tracked from "Birth Of The Twins" I'm beginning to now think it's not just pitched and looped...it maybe unused material before it goes into the statement of Vader's theme at the very end, which is definitely tracked from the end of "Birth Of The Twins".

Edit: On second thought it is pitched and looped twice.

Wow okay The Force Unleashed PC files...I'm wrong about track 035 containing unused "Palpatine's Big Pitch".

KM, you were wondering what the music from 0:26-1:30ish is before it goes into music from "Be Careful Of Your Friend"..well I just placed it now. I too thought I heard it before but didn't put the two together until recently. Anyways that segment is from "Moving Things Along", the opening part after "News Of The Attack" that was omitted from the OST. It plays when Anakin tells Padmé he has an important assignment from Palpatine when they're on Padmé's apartment balcony.

Trent, have you or do you know if anyone has compiled a list yet of the tracked music from Ep3 but specifically dealing with music written for Ep3, like the beginning of Boys Into Battle being shifted to later on in the movie for example?

I know a handful of posts have dealt with the Ep1 & Ep2 tracked music, I'd just like to find a list of the Ep3 stuff.

Cheers.

No one has done the tracked music. Frankly most of here on the board don't like the tracked music and thus don't include it in our edits. I'm one of those people.

Edit: That "Boys Into Battle" bit which appears later on in the film when the Clones arrive at Utapau which is called "Good Guys Arrive"...that is NOT tracked, it's just a reprise. Similar to the music that appears in both "I Am The Senate" when Mace gets fried and towards the end of "Moving Things Along" (aka Enter Lord Vader). It's a reprise, nothing more.

I actually used to like including tracked music...now I'm more interested in assembling scores the way they were originally intended, like most here. I still like to do "film edits" from time to time just for the heck of it, though. For example, I actually prefer the film transition out of the main titles in ROTS with the drums over the fanfare Williams wrote - but my preference is to have both, which I do. And if I were to redo my whole ROTS edit today, I'd most likely just keep tracked music out of the main body of the edit.

No one has done the tracked music. Frankly most of here on the board don't like the tracked music and thus don't include it in our edits. I'm one of those people.

Edit: That "Boys Into Battle" bit which appears later on in the film when the Clones arrive at Utapau which is called "Good Guys Arrive"...that is NOT tracked, it's just a reprise. Similar to the music that appears in both "I Am The Senate" when Mace gets fried and towards the end of "Moving Things Along" (aka Enter Lord Vader). It's a reprise, nothing more.

Ah, thanks.

I was asking simply for that reason ...in order to avoid it, I'm not a fan of the tracked music at all.

I'm just interested to know how much tracking was done.

Regarding what you mentioned about "Good Guys Arrive", although it doesn't have the same percussion as underneath "Boys Into Battle", I find it a little odd that Williams would reprise it unless at the request of Lucas ...or maybe not. I just find the transition of the material at the beginning of "Good Guys Arrive" a little awkward but maybe that's just because I'm so used to hearing it in "Boys Into Battle".

I'll have to check out what you were saying about "I Am The Senate" and "Moving Things Along" (aka Enter Lord Vader).

Also, have any of you come up with or found a list of inserts, overlays or sweeteners, etc, yet?

Cheers.

'Just' a reprise???? :P

Its great news it is a different recording and NOT tracked... ;)

I think that maybe lucas asked Williams to use it somewhere in the score since he liked that music but didnt like it in the opening titles.

Or maybe it is a 'good guys arrive' motif since that's what both scenes are...

It's not much but now we have a good three seconds of the clean ending to the cue "Rev. Yoda Into Exile" in a movie from Elite Squadron.

In light of the 'hilarious' April Fools fake announcement, I went back through my TPM set and upped the quality to 320kbps and added a couple more tracks to it (significant alternates). I was thinking of putting in the film version of the end to "Queen Amidala". I know Lucas slowed it down but when I sped it up, it did not really match the end of the Album version of Queen Amidala.

I theorize that the Tremolo Swell, the only piece we have not yet placed, goes in the Podrace, the same place where the abridged opening moments of "The Race Begins" is tracked to in the film. If I'm right, it means we have pretty much all of the film's music where it's supposed to be.

I think its part of an alternate or unused overlay to the sith spacecraft, for the part where maul sends the probe droids to the city. One of the games featured part of that cue with the begginging of the tremolo, IRRC.

Its been years...but i think it was either racer or The Phantom Menace.

I made (listening to it in restrospective) an awful edit making an 'alternate'. It has the sith infiltrator cue, and you hear the tremolo, and then i pasted the tremolo in the end... im not sure why i didnt overlayed it... but i was an editing rookie those days...

Do you want to hear it?

I think TPM has the sith spacecraft... or at least part of it..

It must be a pre-2002 game since that's when i made that edit.

Though i never had the obi wan or Jedi power battles source files. or the EPI insiders guide ones.

The enitre Sith Spacecraft cue can be heard in the TPM video game.

The Ultimate Edition uses it too but it replaces the true "The Probe Droid" segment.

AH! i remembered.

The UE features the part of sith spacecraft with the tremolo swell in 'Watto's roll of the die'.

I think that is what you said?

Regardless of all the edits and tracking in the movie..since with dont have any more clues, the most feasible location of the cue is what is:

a: alternate sith spacecraft

b: alternate overlay-sweetener for 'Watto's roll of the die' when tracking of 'sith spacecraft' was planned... ?

Forgive me for butting in with a question that may well have been answered already, but...do we know the slate number and/or title of the insert heard during Leia's arrival on Alderaan in ROTS? I assume it's just 7M7A "Insert" or something, but I'm curious - it's not included on the cue list on the main site.

I'm checking the sith spacecraft now. You can mix the tremolo into 0:40 of the UE 'sith spacecraft' cue and the tremolo end at the same time of the tense music that is part of the cue.

That track time for mixing is the same point where the tremolo starts in the tracked probe droid music from watto's roll of the die.

Can we asume is an alternate original version? maybe lucas wanted something more colorful (different notes) not just one string chord.

Forgive me for butting in with a question that may well have been answered already, but...do we know the slate number and/or title of the insert heard during Leia's arrival on Alderaan in ROTS? I assume it's just 7M7A "Insert" or something, but I'm curious - it's not included on the cue list on the main site.

Why an insert?

7M7 'a home for the twins' ?

There was a separately recorded insert heard in the film. The album version of "A Home For the Twins" is the way the cue was recorded - it doesn't have any edits. There's additional material in the film during the shots of the Tantive IV landing on Alderaan that isn't part of the original recording.

That he does...annoyingly so...but this one isn't a microedit, surprisingly. They just didn't edit the lovely film insert into the album version, which is also common in Williams albums.

It does sound like an artificial fade-in at the beginning of the track, I agree. I'm not sure why that is - that is the beginning of the cue. But the insert I'm referring to starts about 5 or 6 seconds into the cue - or at least it would if it were there in the album.

If anyone doesn't believe me that this was an insert, listen to the OST version again - the horns play a melody of eight prominent notes at the beginning. The last two notes are not heard in the film version at all; instead, the horn melody ends differently, leading into a soaring statement of the Force theme. If the film version were the original, unedited version, the last two notes of the OST version would be in there somewhere.

I'm pretty sure "A Home For The Twins" on the OST is edited, just like how the ending for "It Can't Be" on the OST is edited. If you compare both for "A Home For The Twins" you can hear the edit on the OST.

I mentioned to Trent in one of our chats that I always felt the OST version sounded more natural and now after looking over the written score to that cue it at least gives the indication that it was probably recorded that way.

Data, you should just say that you've looked at the cue ;)

AH! i remembered.

The UE features the part of sith spacecraft with the tremolo swell in 'Watto's roll of the die'.

I think that is what you said?

Regardless of all the edits and tracking in the movie..since with dont have any more clues, the most feasible location of the cue is what is:

a: alternate sith spacecraft

b: alternate overlay-sweetener for 'Watto's roll of the die' when tracking of 'sith spacecraft' was planned... ?

Yep, that's what I mean - Lucas looped those measures to fit the termolo swell, as well as layering Sith Whispers meant for use only in Qui-Gon's Noble End... I once tried to fit that cue to the footage, and it didn't quite fit properly.

It may even be like the unused part of Gas Leak that we didn't know about until TFU (where we believed it to be a separate cue but it wasn't).

Another possible theory is that it scored a scene deleted from the final film.