22 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that movie box office has been in the crapper, this has to be one hell of a movie to make some dough. I think it will, given the names above the title.

I'm willing to bet Katie's ring that it will make more than $100 million. That used to be a guarantee for just about any summer blockbuster, but not this year.

If it's original, it'll do well. If it's just another Spielberg movie, it'll be good, people will like it, but it'll fade away like Minority Report. But if WotW gets parodied a lot...then it will have been successful. Parody is the true measure of success, not money.

It's a Spielberg film and a remake of a what's considered a sci-fi classic..... YEAH

It is NOT a remake! It is based on the book with a few elements from the 1953 film.

It won't save this dud of a summer. It'll do well, but I'll be amazed if it does over $200 million. We'll have to see how it does over the long 4th of July weekend. I'd like to see it do well and I hope it's good. It's been far too long since we've had a quality Spielberg popcorn film rule the box office.

Neil

Wow! Neil and I are actually agreeing!

In my thread: "I'm already sick of WOTW" I already predicted that WOTW will do around 180 million.

I've just seen the film and...

... IT WAS GREAT!!!!

Still; it's more Signs than Independence Day and in Hollywood-reality that means a gross less than 250 million. Or something like that.

I hope I'm wrong actually; I LOVED the film!! The acting was absolutely top-notch and the effects amazing.

This is turning out to be a really good year for genre-films...

Revenge Of The Sith

Batman Begins

War Of The Worlds

King Kong

I love all those films. Granted I haven't seen Kong yet, but the trailer is SOOOOO promising!!!

Judging from the legions of lowest-common-denominator morons at the War of the Worlds boards at IMDb.com, it sounds as though this film didn't really touch people like it should have. I thought it was great, despite some minor flaws, but I feel a bit pessimistic about the general reaction to the movie.

A while back, didn't Spielberg say he was going to make this into a trilogy? I also heard Tom Cruise signed on for three films, but it's probably all hearsay and crap.

:|

I think its pretty evident that this was a one and done type movie.

seriously War of the Worlds Part II, They're back, this time their mad as hell, watch as Tom Cruise must save his daughter from even more tramatizations. Watch as this time its the invaders take down the new Twin towers,

Well, I saw it, and I have to say it was awesome. I think only Spielberg (and maybe Lucas) can surprise you so much with visual effects. Some scenes were really great, and I loved both Cruise and Fanning. The only thing that may be negative is that it was way too short. Most of Spielberg's recent sci-fi films have run longer than 2 hours (some two and a half hours), but WotW is only 118 minutes!!! I thought the ending was abrupt. I just hope that he'll release a Director's Cut DVD!!!

Oh yeah, JW's score was great, too.

Spielberg has final cut on his movies. He's more than earned it. This is his final director's cut. I was thrilled that it was only 6 reels. I wanted a tight film, not something bloated, and that's exactly what we got.

Neil

A while back, didn't Spielberg say he was going to make this into a trilogy?  I also heard Tom Cruise signed on for three films, but it's probably all hearsay and crap.

:|

I read this a while back in the Arizona Republic. At the time, I thought "What the hell? There's only one book."

this is the directors cut.

I mean the Director's Cut as opposed to the Theatrical Version.

there will likely be deleted scenes on the DVD, and the alternate version where the son dies, I'd bet.

Spielberg has final cut on his movies.  He's more than earned it.  This is his final director's cut.  I was thrilled that it was only 6 reels.  I wanted a tight film, not something bloated, and that's exactly what we got.

Neil

I think there's a difference between a tight cut and a film with an abrupt ending. A film of this magnitude (both in terms of story and production) should be over 2 hours, in my opinion. His recent sci-fi movies like A.I. and Minority Report may have suffered because of length, we could argue about that, but I think WotW was definitely a scene or three short.