34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Revenge of the Sith
    • War of the Worlds

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROTS is a score that I feel is getting better with time. It struck me right away in the first listen, but I''m discovering new things with each listen. I love it a lot more now than in the beginning. Those are the makings of a great score.

I don't know . . . War of the Worlds is too new. Both scores are pretty darn good, neither is in my favorites, so I can't vote now.

~Sturgis, who feels bad for how WotW is doing now in this poll

RotS,by far.But the unreleased music must be factored in,because the RotS album is lacking.With WotW,it doesn't matter,only a few cues stand out really.

K.M.

It's hard to compare the two because they're so different. For one, WOTW isn't thematic and doesn't even have a central theme (or at least a concert suite). ROTS is much better for an album, simply because the music is nicer. However WOTW works brilliantly in context of the film, where it belongs.

So I won't vote.

Difficult to say but based on the album, I’ll vote for WotW. Even though WotW is a difficult listen in places, I like that it carves out a unique place in the Williams canon. RotS has a lot of repetition and feels less fresh in virtue of the fact that its his 3rd prequel and 6th Star Wars movie. WotW has a lot of compelling action music and different types of underscore. Its a more interesting score for me and even the most difficult parts of the score can usually be appreciated on a cerebral, damn-he’s-good level. So I feel more affection for WotW though I can’t deny that after an hour of it, I’m ready for something more tonal and soothing.

- Adam

WotW is one of the few scores that added little to the film, IMO. I applaud Spielberg and Williams for not automatically putting in sappy family music in the first 20 min or so like any other director would do (Emmerich/Devlin, Bay). The action/horror scenes were scored well, but barely audible in the film and not entirely needed. Great flick though

I don't know....RotS never blew me away, which I expected it to. And WotW is growing on me in very unexpected, subtle ways. So...I don't know.

Ray Barnsbury

I don't know....RotS never blew me away, which I expected it to.

Have you given it a shot in chronological order? I'm not usually a chrono freak, but I really feel this time it just makes the music better. And this was after plenty of not-really-disappointed-but-somewhat-empty listens, so it's a sitaution I think is similar to yours.

No, I know I should really try that. Unfortunately, I kind of had RotS burn out after a while and skipped over every SW thread on the board. Where is the chronological order of the album listed?

Ray Barnsbury

The chrono order of the OST is on the main page in the news. But there's also a good 5 minutes or so of unreleased music that's been uncovered. The best summary is here.

I blurt voted WOTW. Its more elemental Williams, and a welcome approach after so many melodic scores in a row.

ROTS. Because it does what WOTW does ( action the emotions, the strength) but with themes. Brilliant themes at that.

Most of the material on ROTS that I like harkens back the material from the original trilogy so I would say WotW by far since it's more original. And it does present a side of Williams we don't get to hear as much.

ROTS is a brilliant score easily Williams finest of this new century. WOTW, upon recent listens, presents little memorable material it's a servicable Williams score but little more, I'm sad to report. :)

Justin

I'll only ever vote for anything ROTS related when the Razzies are announced.

Neil

Really? Cuz we weren't aware of your opinion on the subject... :music: