What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

the STTMP boot sounds like crap . It's about the same quality as the Last Crusade boot

You must have the wrong one.

Anyhoo, I forgot that I also added a couple of the disco themes (Meco) of ST:TMP to my iPod list so I have about 2 hrs and 10 minutes of just music from the film.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steiner's King Kong is the best. After that it would be King Kong vs Godzilla (Akira Ifukube) and then Barry's version with JNH's bringing up the rear.

Barry's Kong is due for an expansion but I doubt we will see it happen anytime soon.

I listened to Once Upon a Time in the West last night, and a bit more this morning. Pretty good scores. There are only two that I find distracting, but they may grow on me, I don't know yet. But a lot of the tracks are so ethereal.

The Phantom Menace - elvisjones 2cd complete edition

It had been a long long time since i listened to any TPM music, and it was great to hear again. I forgot how great some of it really is. However, listening to the varying sound qualities from track to track just makes it so much more annoying that we don't have an official release of the complete score

BTW, I lost track of star wars videogame music a while ago. Did any additional TPM stuff come out post- Ultimate Edition? Or did all the later games just use AOTC and ROTS music?

I've been listening to my Christmas playlist. Selections from:

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas!

Elf

SS

Home Alone

Home Alone 2

Polar Express

Nutcracker

And some miscellanious X-Mas music.

I listened to Once Upon a Time in the West last night, and a bit more this morning. Pretty good scores. There are only two that I find distracting, but they may grow on me, I don't know yet. But a lot of the tracks are so ethereal.

Do you mean The Man With No Name scores? One Upon A Time In The West is a single film.

I was listening to "Schindler's List" on the bus to and fro school today. I think "Immolation" is my favorite track, followed by "Jewish Town". I got strange looks from the guy who was sitting next to me when the choir started in the former track.

SL is probably the most important JW score that I don't own.

I'll probably get it after the holidays. I don't want to be listening to depressing music on Christmas.

Wait, are you serious? I cannot believe I am telling a person to purchase a John Williams that they do not own. Anyways, I do not know if it is just me, but I never get "depressed" while listening to dramatic scores like "Schindler's List". In fact, there is a higher probability of me crying while listening to "E.T." or "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" than while listening to "Schindler's List" ( and yes, I speak from past experiences).

Limited editions get higher priority than non-limited editions. SL has been on my "To Buy" list for a while, but it has always taken the backseat to a different soundtrack release.

I've been wanting to buy all the original soundtracks that are on my "to get" list but unfortunately like indy4, Limited Editions get top priority first, especially if it's one I want.

You know I do get a craving to play Star Trek TMP at Christmas as well. Makes sense since it opened in December 1979 and I saw it close to Christmas.

Last night listened to Home Alone & Home Alone 2.

I do not know if it is just me, but I never get "depressed" while listening to dramatic scores like "Schindler's List".

Have you seen the film?

Buying "Jingle All the Way" when you could have bought "Schindler's List"....Shame on you.

That'll please Kora.

:baaa:

Frost/Nixon by Hans Zimmer.

I am quite surprised to say this, but it is really quite good. Not what I expected. Zimmer can actually compose proper music when he wants to.

Bolt by John Powell

Enjoyable, but completely forgettable.

Karol - now listening to Largo Winch by Alexandre Deplat.

Frost/Nixon by Hans Zimmer.

I am quite surprised to say this, but it is really quite good. Not what I expected. Zimmer can actually compose proper music when he wants to.

I thought he had proved it on several occasions.

Bolt by John Powell

Enjoyable, but completely forgettable.

I am listening to this for the first time as I write here. It's enjoyable indeed, but I also don't suppose I will remember much of it. It's still the best of Powell's efforts this year. There are still couple of tracks before me, though, hence I expect to have some thrilling finale cues, like it was in Hancock.

The score just stops, doesn't it?

As for Zimmer, I think I need to to check out his smaller works. It might be interesting. As it stands, Frost/Nixon is one of the strongest scores of this year. I'm impressed. How refreshing is to hear him not doing power anthem or Thin Red Line-like string elegy. This is what seprarates him from the rest of RC, I guess. Pity, TDK wasn't half as interesting, despite few tracks.

Karol

The score just stops, doesn't it?

That's a problem I noticed in some scores of his (e.g. Evolution).

As for Zimmer, I think I need to to check out his smaller works. It might be interesting. As it stands, Frost/Nixon is one of the strongest scores of this year. I'm impressed.

Karol

Spanglish is most recommended. I also wish they properly released Rain Man score.

As for Zimmer, I think I need to to check out his smaller works. It might be interesting. As it stands, Frost/Nixon is one of the strongest scores of this year. I'm impressed.

Karol

Spanglish is most recommended. I also wish they properly released Rain Man score.

Rain Man deserves a full score release. I have the recording sessions though.

Karol, there is a load of great Zimmer stuff you should check in to.

I've heard and liked those two, but Kung-Fu Panda is still my favorite from either of them for this year.

I agree, but Horton is a very close second.

Sat at my desk at work listening to JAWS 2.

I do not know what to think of it. I absolutely love the "Orca Theme" variation in the first Track, but the score just sounds... I do not know, I really cannot think of what to make of it. Everything about the "Jaws" sequels are so forlorn for me, and this score is no exception. It is interesting to hear hints of what would become "The Lost World: Jurassic Park", though.

Defiance by James Newton Howard

A decent score. Not Oscar worthy, in my opinion. Very subtle and rather boring. Some good violin work, but it's too sparse and sounds like Snow Falling On Cedars. A poor year for JNH. His output in 2007 was much better.

My Best Friend's Wedding by James Newton Howard

A really great score. I wish it had an official release, but the Academy Promo suffices.

I like Jaws 2 more than Jaws as a listening experiance. Everything is better in Jaws 2.

Really, everything is better? Imagine the Jaws 2 score in the original Jaws. It would be awful.

My point is that you seem to have no sense of restraint. The greater the scale, the greater the music. Have you ever heard the saying "less is more"?

In general, I like bombast more than I like subtlety*. Sue me.

But I wouldn't really apply that to the Jaws vs. Jaws 2 issue. Jaws 2 is hardly on a greater scale than Jaws. The only thing that's more complex would be the action sequences, which really develop and expand on the two note theme. But a sequel score requires some development and expansion, so those are justified.

*this does not mean that I dislike subtlety

I like "Jaws" better. Perhaps actually watching "Jaws 2" would do something for me, but the first one is easily more diverse, intense (in my opinion), and it feels complete ( though that could just be the album release). "Jaws 2" is certainly a good effort by John Williams - as always, he never rests on his laurels- but...seriously, "Jaws 2" must be the most difficult thing that I ever had to critique.

In general, I like bombast more than I like subtlety*. Sue me.

But I wouldn't really apply that to the Jaws vs. Jaws 2 issue. Jaws 2 is hardly on a greater scale than Jaws. The only thing that's more complex would be the action sequences, which really develop and expand on the two note theme. But a sequel score requires some development and expansion, so those are justified.

*this does not mean that I dislike subtlety

Only the action sequences are on a different scale? Compare "End Titles" with "End Title, End Cast." That's a completely different scoring aesthetic.