Notes on LOTR, Memoirs, Munich and GOF from FSM

Sandor

Start saving your pennies, because on November 22nd, Reprise will release a boxed set of THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING -- THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS. Howard Shore's complete score for the expanded version of the film, over three hours of music, will be featured on 3 CDs, and the fourth disc in the set is a DVD which will feature the same music in 5.1 Surround Sound. The set will feature liner notes by a certain Doug Adams -- apparently not the late Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novelist, but someone who actually writes for this website, and who, unlike me, knows more musical terminology than just "piano," "loud," and "Goldsmith-esque."

In an effort to compete with this Rings behemoth, plucky newcomer John Williams will release his new score, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, on the same day. The score, to be released by Sony Classical, features solos by musicians Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma, and has a main theme that has been described by insiders as "exquisite." This holiday season will also feature the release of another Williams' project, Munich, Steven Spielberg's docudrama about the terrorist killing of the Israeli Olympic athletes in 1972 and its aftermath, a story that has been previously covered in the TV movies 21 Hours at Munich (score by Laurence Rosenthal) and Sword of Gideon (Georges Delerue).

Two weeks earlier, on November 8th, more Williams themes will be featured in Warners' CD release of HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE, whose score was composed by Patrick Doyle.

www.filmscoremonthly.com

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely you jest, Drax. I'm looking forward to the LOTR release. It is one of the best scores to have come out in a while. One of my more recent favourites.

Don't get me wrong, I like Shore's LOTR. But I really don't have the patience to sit through more of his underscore which sounds almost the same as what's already heard on the original soundtrack release. My first priority is to the new Williams soundtracks and the Revenge of the Sith DVD... and then eventually Potter, if Patrick Doyle manages to impress me.

The holiday season is going to be very expensive. All the great Williams releases and the LOTR box. I think Memoirs of the Geisha is worth waiting for and if the main theme is exquisite(according to some nameles guy apparently) even better. I'd still say the LOTR box is the biggest thing for me this autumn. I have been waiting fo the release fo three or more years. I will not rant more about the FOTR music as it would piss some of you off but I must say it is brilliant. I can't wait for November.

I don't even own a LOTR score yet. Maybe I'll start with this one. Naahhhhhh only joking. Howard Shore? Are you kidding me??? LOL. I think I'll wait for GEISHA too.

Hitch, who challenged Fat Bastard in a sumo contest to win the heart of the local geisha girl....namely Tippi-san. I won....with Mother's help. ROTFLMAO

November is going to be one great month! I can't wait. I guess I know what I am telling my good friends and parents to get me for my B-Day. ROTFLMAO With any luck I will not have to spend a dime on any of the scores.

I think we will see a return to greatness with the themes. There has been a little bit of a gap between scores, so I am hoping we won't be disappointed. I like when Williams does multi scores a year, but do think it takes away from his creativity when they are too close together.

It's amazing what a difference an adjective can make.  :P

Is that about "Plucky newcomer?"

~Sturgis, who will be getting Memoirs, Munich, and GoF no matter what, and not LotR

The holiday season is going to be very expensive. All the great Williams releases and the LOTR box. I think Memoirs of the Geisha is worth waiting for and if the main theme is exquisite(according to some nameles guy apparently) even better. I'd  still say the LOTR box is the biggest thing for me this autumn. I have been waiting fo the release fo three or more years. I will not rant more about the FOTR music as it would piss some of you off but I must say it is brilliant. I can't wait for November.

Ian McKellan voiceover

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is how to spend the money that is given to us.

Jeff - who will definitely be buying the complete FOTR

Except a December release for MUNICH. The movie could be released before the Oscar consideration deadline which is December 25th or 26th I think.

Hitch, who hopes to have THE WHORES OF BABYLON starring Eugene Levy, Kirsten Dunst, Sharon Stone and Erik Estrada wrapped up by January 7th.

Okay, I'm officially excited for Geisha now.  "Exquisite" main theme? :mrgreen:  

Ray Barnsbury - who was wondering if Williams could still write themes, after the last two scores

I had no doubt.

Morlock- who incidentaly was just contemplating about how great a theme 'Battle of The Heroes' is

Okay, I'm officially excited for Geisha now.  "Exquisite" main theme? :mrgreen:  

Ray Barnsbury - who was wondering if Williams could still write themes, after the last two scores

I had no doubt.

Morlock- who incidentaly was just contemplating about how great a theme 'Battle of The Heroes' is

Clearly, I was exaggerating. But still, his last two scores were thematically bland. And "Battle of the Heroes" is a good and enjoyable piece of music, but the theme itself is nothing very special. It's the orchestration and arrangement that make it.

Ray Barnsbury

Well the thing about Battle of the Heroes is, it's five themes in one. Other Star Wars themes have B sections, sometimes C sections, but not E sections. In this sense, the orchestration is part of the theme itself. This makes more sense when you consider "The Boys Continue," which uses the opening ostinato and the ending chord crashes in various guises.

Reading that thing about how elegant Geisha's theme is, I just thought: Could we have another Schindler's list here? Williams is a great theme composer, but he always tends to write big themes with big orchestrations (most of the times cause the movie asks for it). In Schindler's list he used a very intimistic approach with very good results. Could this 'elegant' thing mean something in that direction (I mean, simple and beautiful)?

I think the score has a smaller ensemble of players as Williams said in his interview and that may mean a smaller, more intimate score as a whole. I have high hopes for the score as I love Williams more lyrical and intimate style. His scores for Angela's Ashes, Jane Eyre, Stanley and Iris, Accidental Tourist and Schindler's List are more intimate (except for the concert versions which tend to be more grandiose) and I was hoping something in that vein. I am anxious to hear how well Williams was able to incorporate the ethcic intsruments, like koto (and I am hoping Japanese drums as I am a huge fan of Kodo and Daiko drums) into the score.