What score REALLY had to grow on you?

Sandor

For me: Star Trek TMP.

When I first heard back in the early 90's I wasn't at all impressed. I thought it was Goldsmith trying to do Star Wars.

But because of it's popularity on this board and the truly exceptional boot I got from Mr. Cosman I gave the score another try.

I listened to it again and again and again. And again. And after 10 years of being familiar with the score I all of sudden started to realize that Star Trek TMP is ONE OF THE GREATEST SCORES EVER WRITTEN!!

I LOVE it now and it makes me miss Jerry Goldsmith. Without his output the film music scene is just not the same anymore.

To Jerry. :|

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really had to work hard to like the music of John Williams. He tries sooooo hard to be a Bernard Herrmann type composer and like a poor marksman, he keeps missing the target. Which is why I don't listen to Williams' music any more. Why do I even bother coming here in the first place? Taxi.........

I really had to work hard to like the music of John Williams.  He tries sooooo hard to be a Bernard Herrmann type composer and like a poor marksman, he keeps missing the target.  Which is why I don't listen to Williams' music any more.  Why do I even bother coming here in the first place?  Taxi.........

I may flame up a fight but to me Williams does not sound remotely Hermann and he does not try to emulate the late great composer (well except in Fury and few other scores). And Williams does not have that freaky quality that Hermann injected almost in his every score: DREAD! His scores are almost all so bloody scary and make you feel uneasy(Citizen Kane is down right unsettling). No one can do it like Benny. Of course his scores like Ghost and Mrs. Muir are not that dread laden but Benny has this unsettling quality.

Williams beams like a ray of thematic light in the darkness of themeless underscore and short motifs. He is not Bernard Hermann and he should not be. And if you do not like Williams don't hang out here Hitch. Go listen to a John Cage album or something or take up yoga lessons or try Philip Glass music.

Why are you here if you only bad mouth Williams praise Jerry Goldsmith and modern orchestral composers.

As for the thread I must say Kingdom of Heaven was a score that had to grow on me. It has great thematic structure but it is not that apparent from first listening. Well after few weeks of listening I finally saw the light and now it is one of my favorite scores. HGW composed 180 minutes of music for that movie and we only have measly 62 minutes. I want the rest. That should flesh out all the themes

even more! And I can't believe that the choir on the Kingdom of Heaven was 140 strong. It should have sounded so much stronger(The information from Soundtrack.net Narnia scoring article. Check that out!).

Another score that had to grow on me was believe it or not Williams' Sleepers. At first when I bought it (I was about 16 years old and liked Williams' heroic music very much) it made not a very big impression on me but the more I listened to it over the years (and saw the film) the better it got and the score has become to me one of the most strongest drama scores Williams has ever penned. Such darkness and bleakness and sense of hopelesness exudes from the music and that is finally pierced by final track like the shaft of light in the darkness. It gives almost a catharthic feeling when you listen to the album. Great score by Williams!

There quite many others but those two came to mind first.

I really had to work hard to like the music of John Williams.  He tries sooooo hard to be a Bernard Herrmann type composer and like a poor marksman, he keeps missing the target.  Which is why I don't listen to Williams' music any more.  Why do I even bother coming here in the first place?  Taxi.........

I may flame up a fight but to me Williams does not sound remotely Hermann and he does not try to emulate the late great composer (well except in Fury and few other scores). And Williams does not have that freaky quality that Hermann injected almost in his every score: DREAD! His scores are almost all so bloody scary and make you feel uneasy(Citizen Kane is down right unsettling). No one can do it like Benny. Of course his scores like Ghost and Mrs. Muir are not that dread laden but Benny has this unsettling quality.

Williams beams like a ray of thematic light in the darkness of themeless underscore and short motifs. He is not Bernard Hermann and he should not be. And if you do not like Williams don't hang out here Hitch. Go listen to a John Cage album or something or take up yoga lessons or try Philip Glass music.

Why are you here if you only bad mouth Williams praise Jerry Goldsmith and modern orchestral composers.

You've never heard Herrmann's JOY IN THE MORNING I take it?

I know not all Hermann is not fear and dread but that is just my experience with his music. Ghost and Mrs Muir was graceful and beautiful score which was impressive from the first listening. I wish there was some of those less scary Hermann scores available here in Finland. Well I listened to the 7th Voyage of Sinbad and I was not that impressed (it was an old fashioned adventure score but with Hermann sensibilities). I like Hermann but to me he is not Williams. I find his scores less accessible than Williams' that is all. And accessibility of composer's music should not be the meter of by which he should be measured but that comes often into question when comparing composers. Some like the more challenging music and others the opposite. I am not saying Williams is easy listening but readily more accessible than Hermann.

Isn't PSYCHO more hummable than STAR WARS?

Well that might depend on the person. I do not find myself whistling the Prelude chase motif or the Murder scene music or Mad House motif very often. I hum and whistle Yoda's theme, Main title, Imperial march Across the Stars, or any other SW theme more often than Hermann's themes.

:music: The Queens Story from The Brothers Grimm

HELLOOOO!!!! ANYBODY HOME????!!! Could you guys find some other thread to settle your scores? What about Hitch's own homo thread?

HELLOOOO!!!! ANYBODY HOME????!!! Could you guys find some other thread to settle your scores? What about Hitch's own homo thread?

Sorry that things got out of hand. You are right. Let's get back to the topic here.

My deepest and most sincere apologies Roald!

I just can't watch and see my favorite composer's name sullied by people who do not appreciate him.

Someone taking Hitch seriously? I never would have imagined.

Anyhoo, I tend not to try to get into a score any further if it doesn't impress me during the first listen or two. First impressions last forever with me. Call me narrow minded, but that's the way things are with me.

Sorry that things got out of hand. You are right. Let's get back to the topic here.  

My deepest and most sincere apologies Roald!  

I just can't watch and see my favorite composer's name sullied by people who do not appreciate him.

Totally accepted! :music: And by the way; I really respect your desire to defend Williams. I am no different than you in that regard.

Kingdom of Heaven took about...3 runs before it hit me. War of the Worlds too. I still havent got into Saving Private Ryan yet, apart from the hymn since its so....slow. Not Williams' fault I admit, just an inherent property from the film

Could you guys find some other thread to settle your scores? What about Hitch's own homo thread?

I ain't goin' near that one!

Tim

Well those were my sentiments when I saw the name of that thread.

Sorry Roald!This thread brings the off topic monger in me :music:

I have to say many of Thomas Newman scores take a long time to get accustomed to. Angels in America was so hyped but when I first heard it it did not seem all that great. After many months of listening it revealed it's true grandeur. There were pieces there that were brilliant on the first listening but many more opened to me after thorough and thoughtful listening (the thematic material is scarce if Newman scores but when it opens to you it is great). I am a sucker for choir motifs and the Angel motif ("Mortuum in choro fuit anima mea" My soul was among the Dead" sung by a soloist on e.g. the first track) is really great and much used in the score and it took a little while to realize it was a theme of sorts.

Someone taking Hitch seriously?  I never would have imagined.

If anyone takes me seriously on this board, then they need their head(s) examined. And if they do, then it's a first! People do not appreciate my black humour anymore. :music: For the record the name is HERRMANN not Hermann.

Someone taking Hitch seriously?  I never would have imagined.

If anyone takes me seriously on this board, then they need their head(s) examined. And if they do, then it's a first! People do not appreciate my black humour anymore. :music: For the record the name is HERRMANN not Hermann.

Well indeed it is Herrmann. I have remember that. And it is just nice to pass time slinging arguments to your not-so-serious remarks. Why what gives anybody the idea someone would take them or you seriously? :P

Most Jerry Goldsmith scores. Especialy Total Recall. I never got why people liked it so much, until recently. I'm still not as crazy about it as most Jerry fans are, but I caught myself humming 'The End of a Dream' in the shower this morning. And if I'm humming it, that's generally a sign that I really, really like the score.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture for me too. Watching the movie again made me see the light. Thanks to Jerry's score, the movie isn't a complete snoozefest. :music:

I think I have several scores lying around I don't even fully know yet, too.

Incanus, I can't believe you walked right into Hitch's trap. You should know better young man.   :music:

Well I am little too trusting but I walked right into Roald's traps too. I have always been easy to provoke.

That's just me. I try to be cynical but it does not work for me. :P

Hitch... The Jiminy Glick of JWFAN

One look into those innocent eyes and flabby quadruple chin of Hitch and you believe anything he says. He is our real world(well almost real world) Saruman :P Such Charisma and scintillating personality not to mention that biting wit of his ;)

Fooled me atleast :music:

I'm taking 'REALLY' to mean 'took longer than most'...

Star Trek: TPM for me too, along with these other pieces/scores(some JW, some not) that come off the top of my head...

1. Battle of the Heroes

2. Amistad

3. Spider-Man

4. Far And Away

5. Signs

6. LOTR: Fellowship

7. The Shawshank Redemption

8. Cinderella Man

I have a feeling Far and Away is going to end up on this list. I have listened to it twice and still don't care that much for it. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

F&A is great...

For me its ESB, i had always thought it was great but hearing so much great reviews, its now pretty close to ROTJ in my list.

The complete Hook hooked me.

Really when i usually hear a complete score i tend to have a new apreciation of the score...

I haven't found the amazing brilliance in The Fury yet either, but then, I haven't seen the film yet.

It will come to you. You will see the light. :| I loved it from the first hearing though. Usually a complete score gives so much better picture of the score than an album does. You can hear the thematic development better and the way music evolves throughout the movies narrative. POA is a score that should really have a complete score release (well there are atleast 20 Williams scores of the top of my head that should receive complete scores ;) ) to be fully enjoyed in all it's thematic richness.

Recently Loch Ness by Trevor Jones but that was due to all of the hype that surrounded this release.

I don't really recall too many scores that took awhile to grow on me.

For me: Star Trek TMP.  

When I first heard back in the early 90's I wasn't at all impressed. I thought it was Goldsmith trying to do Star Wars.

But because of it's popularity on this board and the truly exceptional boot I got from Mr. Cosman I gave the score another try.

You give to too much credit.

The version you have has 2 cues in the wrong order. (Spock Walk and Thruster Suit are reversed) and it's still uncomplete, unlike my current version which has the captains log cues and the music for the Warp Drive scenes.

I listened to it again and again and again. And again. And after 10 years of being familiar with the score I all of sudden started to realize that Star Trek TMP is ONE OF THE GREATEST SCORES EVER WRITTEN!!

It took you 10 years to figure out that Star Trek TMP sounds like Jerry goldsmith going out of his way NOT to sound like Star Wars?

I LOVE it now and it makes me miss Jerry Goldsmith. Without his output the film music scene is just not the same anymore.  

To Jerry.  :|

It's possibly my favorite score of all time.

ST TMP has still not grown on me. Perhaps I should listen to it more often (compared to the once/year I now listen to it). It is good but the greatness keeps eluding me.

"Nixon." I hated the movie, and I didn't want to hate the score as a result. But I did, because the score is attached to the film.

About two years later, I bought the CD. One of the finest examples of the score far exceeding the film.

And you call yourself a Wizard?

As I said I have not listened to it that much (my loss). Perhaps I should listen to it once a day for a year and see if it would open to me.

And Nixon is a brilliant score. I watch the movie just to hear the unreleased stuff.

I listen to Nixon once in two weeks atleast (I have been keeping record :thumbup: ). If only the album was longer but it is half full of multimedia new computers can't even play. The interview would be very interesting if I could play it. I have seen it once about 6 years ago so my memories are quite faded by now.

Another score I have grown to love is Saving Private Ryan. I was 15 years old when I bought it and it has taken many years but by this time I think it is a master piece. It is like a separate concert piece Williams composed based on the movie. A war concerto or symphony. Simply brilliant (I tend to use that word alot when describing Williams' works :) ).

Honestly for me....ANH's score.

Well who would have thought! :thumbup: It is one of the most accessible scores I have heard.

This must be a joke!

Planet of the Apes (Goldsmith)

Marian - who actually got ill a few days after he bought it.

Because you hated it so much? You could not stomach it?

It took about 4 listenings for me to appreciate the Planet of the Apes. I know. I am tough guy to grasp the tough music in such a short time. :thumbup:

Honestly for me....ANH's score.

You've got to be kidding.

No I'm not kidding. Don't like my answer? Tough crap.

It's not that I did not like your answer (as if there would be a right answer). I am just amazed.

Sorry Vosk, that did come off a bit harsh. I just never heard someone say they had to warm up to Star Wars before, much less a Williams fan.