The most superior statement of Vader's theme?

BLUMENKOHL

Of all the times Vader's theme appears throughout the original and prequel trilogies, which one is your favorite?

My favorite would have to be the one in the beginning of "The Battle of Hoth" followed by "Aboard the Executor" and followed by the statement at the end of the credits suite of Attack of the Clones...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to go with Vader's Death. After all the loud, evil statements of it, this one is the saddest and most moving.

Those are all good choices, but I'd have to say one of my favorites is in ROTS at the end, when Vader, Palpatine and Tarkin are aboard the star destroyer and it closes up up Vader and Palpatine, basically the Empire's icons, and the music is played almost triumphantly as this is sort of the first time the regime of the OT is introduced.

My favourite is just after Han has been frozen in carbonite and the freezing unit is beeing raised from the pit.

There's a power and insanity to that statement.

1. When Han is being tortured on that red electrical thingy in Cloud City.

Yes good choice. Maybe not the best statement, but certainly the most menacing.

I think the best and most evil-sounding is at the end of AotC, it's just so plain and dry, it's perfect. I think the theme is better when played out of march context.

~Sturgis

I am with Sturgis. I think the most superb rendition of Vader's theme is at the end of AotC. It is simply brillant and it segues prefectly into Across the Stars.

There are so many great renditions of the theme. It is probably the most variedly used Sw theme though Williams puts all the bigger themes through many permutations. I have to say the Aboard the Executor is one of my favorites but also the one of the most forceful statements in the ESB in the middle of the track Han Solo and the Princess. I love those swirling strings and that staccato march rhythm. Also the Clash of the Light Sabers is one of those wonderful variations buried in the swirling strings. Brilliant.

I'll end up naming all the variations used if I go on. :) In the Prequels the final scene where Vader and the Emperor are on the bridge of a Star Destroyer watching the construction of the Death Star weaves the funeral theme with Imperial March with perfect grace. All in all Williams has written a perfect theme for Darth Vader that can be varied in so many guises it is amazing. One of the truly iconic SW themes.

Well the first statement in "The Battle of Hoth" is pretty much identical to the start of "The Imperial Probe". The sneakiest version of the vadar theme is part of the last few measures of the end credits, and most people miss it because the notes act as rhythmic blasts. I like the initial quote in "Deal with the Dark Lord" and of course the "About the Executor" with the all-brass variation. The version in the film, I believe, is just the concert version. But I guess my favorite version is during the Luke and Vadar duel.

Tim

Why so stubborn? :) It's too jarring and obvious to be purely accidental. To me, it's as plain as day. The notes are the same, which means it's an exact quote of the first four notes and not a variation. They are as follows: E-E-E-C, played as striking rhythmic hits with the timpani. The reason why most people don't pick up on it, is because the beats for the hits are timed far apart, and it is not part of the main trumpet melody in the forefront. It's things like this that make me appreciate Williams more and more.

There really shouldn't be a debate about this, because it is what it is, I just wish you could hear it :)

Tim

I think the best and most evil-sounding is at the end of AotC, it's just so plain and dry, it's perfect.  I think the theme is better when played out of march context.

~Sturgis

I may not getting the meaning of 'Out of' but are you saying the finale of AOTC is not March context?

Its the only scene in the saga where is played with troops marching... (in ROTJ , her sister rendition, the troops are just standing when the emperor arrives)

If the meaning is the contrary then i have nothing to say :)

Well this must be very much common knowledge but it is brilliant how Williams uses the march version of Vader's theme only in the scenes involving Empire and the military aspect of it. The March represents the relentless and oppressive military might of the Empire but all the scenes not involving the military aspect but Vader himself are scored with different variations on the Vader's theme. Never in the march style always in some other guise or permutation. I find that that was a brilliant idea from Williams. The theme works for two purposes at the same time.

Still there are people who think it is JUST Darth Vader's Theme.

Well I remember that when I was younger I thought it presented only the Empire LOL I had not even seen the SW movies yet but I was listening to the music from some compilation. I sounded brilliant already back then.

There really shouldn't be a debate about this, because it is what it is, I just wish you could hear it  :)  

Tim

Oh, I can hear the notes, but I don't believe it was intentional. It's a standard fanfare ending.

"I hope so Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am." :)

Is that when Vader got demoted from Dark Lord of the Sith to Death Star Construction Foreman?

Neil