Golden Globe Nominations for Best Score

Hitch

Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Nominees:

Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Gustavo Santaolalla

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) - Harry Gregson-Williams

King Kong (2005) - James Newton Howard

Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - John Williams

Syriana (2005) - Alexandre Desplat

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooray. These nominations seem to come one after another for Maestro. Great! :mrgreen:

I really hope Memoirs will win.

It's Williams' score to lose. Even one of the movie presenters of the E! Channel were delighted and it was the first thing he said that he was delighted for John Williams when the nominations were announced this morning.

I've got a bad feeling about this. I have a strange feeling that Santaolalla's over-rated score will win only becuase of the film's critical success and not on the quality of the music.

-Erik-

John Williams has won fewer Golden Globes than Oscars ("Schindler's List" lost to "Heaven and Earth"!!!!!).

I'm ecstatic about the nomination but I have never expected JW to win at the Golden Globes. The Oscars -- that's different.

Jeff -- who thinks the score to "Brokeback" will win, because it's written by a foreigner

That controvercial gay cowboy film will win everything this year.

But at least it's supposed to be fantastic. I'd rather have a good film like Brokeback Mountain win, then some film that doesn't necessarily deserve it.

But in defense of JNH, the Kong score is awesome.

I tried to get into the Narnia score, but I didn't enjoy it that much. The last few tracks are the best.

Tim

That controvercial gay cowboy film will win everything this year.

But at least it's supposed to be fantastic. I'd rather have a good film like Brokeback Mountain win, then some film that doesn't necessarily deserve it.

It won't win because it's a great film,I'll win because it'll be Hollywood's fashionnable cause or subject of the year.

K.M.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

John Williams received his 21st Golden Globe nomination for best original score for "Memoirs of a Geisha." Despite three prior wins and two best original song noms, he said he couldn't be happier because he feels that awards gain more meaning over the years. "The Golden Globes become more and more prestigious every year, and the currency and quality of the award increases every year," he said. He added that the Golden Globes' "celebration of scores only increases the (general public's) awareness of music in film." He was surprised that "Geisha" was shut out of most other categories; the movie's only other nomination was Ziyi Zhang for best actress, drama. "I thought it was a particularly magnificent film. Rob Marshall did a beautiful job of translating the Arthur Golden book into a magnificent film, and it will certainly be appreciated by audiences. But to be fair, I've done four scores this year, and I haven't seen the other films. It makes me look forward to seeing these other films which must be marvelous indeed." The "Memoirs" score is unlike anything Williams has done, and he was thoughtful in describing it. "The score is a synergy combining Japanese material, instruments, colors and textures with a Western symphonic orchestra and Western soloists. All those elements come together to create a universal emotional message to the music."

It won't win because it's a great film, I'll win because it'll be Hollywood's fashionnable cause or subject of the year.

K.M.

Unless Hollywood has changed KING KONG to KING MARK. Then again, you are always favour of the month here. ROTFLMAO

John Williams has won fewer Golden Globes than Oscars ("Schindler's List" lost to "Heaven and Earth"!!!!!).

That had to be a kick in the pants for Johnny. The same way Maurice Jarre won for A WALK IN THE CLOUDS over Horner's BRAVEHEART back in 1995. But I like them both.

That had to be a kick in the pants for Johnny. The same way Maurice Jarre won for A WALK IN THE CLOUDS over Horner's BRAVEHEART back in 1995. But I like them both.

The Golden Globes are on a par with the Oscars for crap nominating and winning. Remember ESB and Raiders?

Still bitter....

Wasn't I thinking the same thing when I read it but hey it's Hollywood. And Johnny needs all the muscle power he can get these days.