New Temple of Doom Boot?

TheRuleOfThirds

So umm...I was just checking out some resources tonight when I came across bits from a Temple of Doom boot w/ titles different from those on the existing boot. I listened to the Club Obi-Wan scene (which was mixed into "Fast Streets") and the sound quality was just a shade below perfect. No sound effects, either.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of that scene sounds clean with a DVD extract.Where did you find this?If cues like Undergrounds Heroics come off clean without sound effects then we might have something...but somehow I doubt it.

K.M.

Doubt all you want. The Underground Heroics I've got is called Underground Chaos, which starts at Willie slapping Indy and goes up until the mine car chase WITHOUT sound effects.

I also got:

Club Obi-Wan/Fast Streets (but not that neat map montage)

Film version of Thuggee ceremony

The Bridge/Finale (some of the Raiders march is missing from the return to the village w/ the kids--cuts straight from the bridge to Indy talking to the shaman)

Actually, none of these have the changes in audio levels like a DVD would to be mixed w/ the rest of the movie. After listening to it more, the biggest prob is that the end credits seem to be going a little fast, b/c they sound a little high-pitched. Still quite decent, though.

And to think...I found this while I was looking for Munich. ;)

That almost sounds like my private edition.

If there is any interest, I will post all details as soon as i get home today.

The Track Listing of the first disc starts like this:

01. Anything Goes

02. Anything Goes (instrumental)

03. Anything Goes Fanfare

04. Nuhaji Diamond Deal / Fast Streets Of Shanghai

05. Slalom On Mt Humol / The Village

(...)

can't remember the rest though. All moments with heavy sfx are edited out and the sound was pitched to match the album tracks which are edited into the film cues. That was possible because the album cues are mostly film versions (sometimes excerpts of film versions) except for the end titles. I believe there were only two or three noticeable sfx.

I was surprised to find most cues (including the underground and finale) virtually isolated on the dvd rear channel. A little flat maybe (since there were elements missing) but that was fixed by playing with the equalizer a little.

On the boot I do have made from the DVD rip,there's gunshots in Underground Heroics that completely ruin the Raiders March statement when Indy swings into the mine car.And the Finale(especially the part where Indy talks to the shaman) is very uneven in volume. some other cues are ok.

k.m.

I should mention that all parts with heavy sfx are edited out. The moment you have mentioned goes directly into a later part of the cue. The edits are quite ok i think (at least better than having gunshots breaking up the cue).

Cues like the plane sequence from the beginning are missing too due to heavy sfx. It is just a combination of sfx free parts merged with album tracks to present a good listening experience.

I see how that could be done with some patience,there are some parts that are really sfx free,and I guess sound level dips in the music can be fixed somewhat with a music editor.But that moment I mentionned,when Indy swings into the mine car,that's the best musical moment of the whole Indy trilogy.

Maybe RuleofThirds can tell us more on what he found so we can compare.

I hope we get those complete score re-recordings from Silva,I'd love to listen to some of these cues even if there performed by the Prague orchestra.

K.M.

Yeah, basically what you guys are talking about is what I found. The name of the track I have is "Nuhaji Diamond Deal and Fast Streets of Shanghai" (which I'm listening to right now, BTW). I got it off a P2P program and the guy I got it from was in Vancouver.

This is the bootleg I have:

Disc One

1. Anything Goes (2:49)

2. Anything Goes [instrumental] (2:43)

3. Anything Goes Fanfare (0:12)

4. Nuhaji Diamond Deal & Fast Streets of Shanghai (9:33)

5. Slalom on Mt. Humol & The Village (3:24)

6. Fortune and Glory (4:59)

7. The Trek (2:29)

8. Welcome to Pankot Palace (3:45)

9. Mara Raja & The Dinner (0:48)

10. Nocturnal Activities (5:51)

11. Bug Tunnel & Death Trap (3:29)

12. The Thuk Ceremony (4:50)

Disc Two

1. Stealing the Stones (4:34)

2. The Blood of Khali (3:52)

3. Short Round's Escape (2:25)

4. Underground Chaos (8:36)

5. The Mine Car Chase (3:40)

6. The Bridge, Finale & End Credits (14:11)

7. Parade of the Slave Children [Concert Version] (4:46)

8. Finale and End Credits [Album Version] (6:18)

I have this as well. Mine also has some more music - the music where indy is fighting Chatter Lal. Sounds very good.

But I do not have any of the plane music ("You know how to fly, don't You?" "No Parachutes!") Music. Too Bad. :)

I heard 1 cue so far and I'm impressed.Better have small bits of music edited out than having a loud sound effect ruin the cue.Plus the edits are well made.Overall better sound than the Last Crusade which has horrible hiss reduction artifacts.

K.M.

So is this nearly sfx free? How would it compare sfx and sound quality wise to say the TLC boot?

Justin

It's kinda muffled (like most non-isolated score DVD rips) but at least it's not distorted like TLC.

Well,I got a few sampler cues from that boot and this got me going. I edited some DVD rips I already had.Now I got a half decent expanded version.I had been putting this off forever.The plane sequence is pretty unuseable.Other cues have more sound effects(like the village ones full of crickets).Some are pretty clean(Trek to Pankock Palace and Stealing the Stones).

K.M.Again reminded this is one of Williams top 5 scores of all time.

Here's hoping the re-recordings of the complete scores for the Indiana Jones series will sound good like the originals. Since we all know most re-recordings tend to have either a faster pace or a lot slower pace to the speed of the music. By the way when does that set come out, does anyone know for sure?

K.M.Again reminded this is one of Williams top 5 scores of all time.

I listened to these new tracks last night on my iPod when I was going to sleep and it made me think that this score is probably my 2nd favorite Williams score. It's so lively and energetic and it doesn't really slow down too much. It's kind of funny how the Indy scores parallel the Star Wars scores. ANH starts out really brassy and it seems uptight, like it's trying to impress. Then Empire comes along and it lets loose and even the smallest act has this really fun fanfare that really gets you into the listening. Raiders starts out like ANH...it's brassy, uptight, and tries to impress. Then TOD comes along and everything gets a fun fanfare, and you've got these long sequences that have incredible energy in them that suck you in and make you a 'true beliewer."

When I listen to that "Underground Chaos" cue,I smile to myself and think JW just doesn't get better than this.I'd give anything for a c.d. quality original version of this cue.The Prague orchestra can't possibly get this right if they re-record the scores.

k.M.

I think it's been pretty much confirmed over at FSM that the Silva re-recording was false.

We need a legit release of the original tracks and I'm suprised it hasn't happened yet.

You guys should take this news with a grain of salt. Just because ONE person on the FSM message board says they're not doesn't mean that they won't be. FSM themselves said they would be and didn't a user on the board contact Silva Screen directly and said that they are??

I tried to email Silva about these recordings two times and never received a reply. Ok, that seems to be the common business procedure of every label but since there wasn't a real confirmation in the first place we should remain as sceptical as possible about these rumours of new recordings.

I originally posted the news about the re-recordings on this forum. I found the news here. For all I know, The IndyExperience.com is usually a quite trustworthy source on Indiana Jones news and when something isn't certain, they usually post the news and adding that it is still just a rumor. So if it really is true, I don't know. I think you should judge for yourself.

You guys should take this news with a grain of salt.  Just because ONE person on the FSM message board says they're not doesn't mean that they won't be.  FSM themselves said they would be and didn't a user on the board contact Silva Screen directly and said that they are??

Well, considering that "ONE person" ("mellow" -> Rick Clark, also founder of Mellodrama Records) actually works at Silva, I'd put a bit more stock in his response that no re-recordings are presently planned.

KM, is this thing better than my 3 CDR set?

I made two ToD homemade editions ( a two disc and a one disc) and traded with several people. One with better sound quality and more sfx, one with a tad lesser sound and lesser sfx. It could be one of mine. The cover on that one is similar to mine too... though I crafted mine a LITTLE better than that one.

Also, I prefer original recordings over re-recordings 99% of the time anyway. I'd still listen to an original with good sound and minor sfx over a re-recording with excellent sound quality. In fact, I stopped buying re-recordings of late. But I buy (and keep) every original recording that's out there.

No,I listened to it and compared it to yours and it's not any better,but it seems so initially because heavy sound effects are just edited out(with part of the music).

and I had only your 1 disk ToD with the unreleased music.Somehow I neglected to make a decent expanded score with the OST cues untill now.I used your extracts for the rest of it.

Mark