Lost

Mr. Breathmask

Why would they need to preserve his body? As long as he's back on the island with the rest, I don't see the reason to protect it. Although it would make sense to take a dead body to a butcher. They have freezers. I don't know, but we'll find out this week I think.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All they said was "he looked pretty dead to me" which is essentially their way of not answering the question at all ROTFLMAO

You mean when Christian Shepard (Jack's dead dad) talked to Vincent?
Yes

Why did Ben turn the wheel instead of Locke in the first place??? And if Ben had turned the wheel as he was supposed to ,how would he have known he had to bring back the Oceanic 6??? And what interest does Ben have in bringing back the Oceanic 6 to the island???

Brilliant episode, really brilliant. This season has the best scoring since the first IMO. A lot of interesting things are happening, and I love it.

We know the sickness wasn't actually a disease. My guess is that the CV vents all lead to The Temple, and somehow made those people "all knowing" and pro-island. I guess that's what would have happened to Locke if he got taken down in Season 1. Danielle was not crazy after all, but I hope we still get to see how Ben takes Alex from her.

I think Charlotte was experiencing something similar to Desmond when he left the island. I knew that when she was saying all that crazy stuff that her mind was back in her childhood on the island. What I didn't get is why Daniel was surprised to her revealing she was raised on the island. She already told him that in Season 4.

To answer KM's question, Ben and Jacob are on opposing sides. I'm sure he knew what would happen, and that he had to prevent Locke from doing it.

One thing I just realized, the people on the island haven't aged, but it's already been 3 years for those who left.

I believe the next episode is The Life And Death Of Jeremy Bentham. Can't wait.

To answer KM's question, Ben and Jacob are on opposing sides. I'm sure he knew what would happen, and that he had to prevent Locke from doing it.

But what would have happened? It seems Ben pretty much screwed everything up by turning the wheel.

But what would have happened? It seems Ben pretty much screwed everything up by turning the wheel.

Yeah his intentions are unknown. Maybe Ben actually is the good guy. Jacob aka Christian Shepherd is starting to seem like the bad guy in all this. I mean, why does Locke want to protect the island so much if he's gonna die and not be able to lead his people. Maybe Jacob sees him as someone who could possible overcome him and wants Locke out of the way. This is all just theory.

Great episode. Every single scene seemed to move all the plots forward. I can't believe it ended where it did, I want to see what happened next!

We all knew that Eloise Hawking would be Farraday's mom.... still no on screen confirmation that Ellie is a young version of her, but she pretty much has to be, right?

Is Charlotte really dead? I hope not. Why do they have to kill off all the female characters on the show? It's gonna be heartbreaking when we eventually see the scene where Daniel tells a young Charlotte not to come back to the island.

I really want to know what's up with the Christian Shepard apparition.

I believe the next episode is The Life And Death Of Jeremy Bentham. Can't wait.

Actually, they recently swapped episodes 6 and 7, so now "316" is airing next week as 5.06 and "The Life And Death Of Jeremy Bentham" is airing the week after as 5.07. At the same time, they announced that TLADOJB will run 4 minutes longer than the usual episode. I'd guess as a result of the switch, they probably had to tack on the original ending of "316" onto TLADOJB to lead properly into 5.08.

Great episode. This season has already made up for its predecessor. I can't wait to see where it goes from here!

As for the "deaths" of Charlotte and Locke...I think Charlotte could end up alive...somehow...but then again, she did look "pretty dead." And we got a partial rendition of the "Life and Death" theme, which doesn't bode well. (Then again, Charlie got that theme for when Ethan hanged him...and he survived that...) But Locke? I'm sure he'll be back in some form or another. Really hard to figure it out exactly, but they won't write him off the show like that. They know he's one of the best-loved characters, and there's no way they could justify that.

I loved getting to ostensibly see the Temple, and I loved the bit about the monster protecting it. Still dying to know more about both, but I suppose that can wait. Heck, just seeing and hearing the monster again was a thrill! I also loved the donkey wheel being shifted off its axis, or however Christian put it. It'll be interesting to see where Locke ends up and how the rest of his...adventures turn out, ultimately leading to his deathlike thingie.

I really do wish I hadn't known about Eloise's name beforehand, though...that would have made the end of the episode a little more shocking. But still yet another vastly entertaining episode, and I'm greatly looking forward to watching it again tomorrow online.

Also, remind me to never trust a word Ben says again. I've known for a while that the only word that can consistently be applied to him is "LIAR", but I still fall into the trap of believing a thing or two he says from time to time. I gotta stop doing that.

Why did Ben turn the wheel instead of Locke in the first place???

Maybe Ben didn't realize that different things would happen if he did it Vs if Locke did it?

And if Ben had turned the wheel as he was supposed to ,how would he have known he had to bring back the Oceanic 6???

I don't understand this question. Ben did turn the wheel.... do you mean what if Locke turned the wheel? Maybe if Locke turned the wheel, he wouldn't have had to bring back the Oceanic 6. Remember, the point of turning the wheel was to move the island so that Widmore couldn't find it.

And what interest does Ben have in bringing back the Oceanic 6 to the island???

I think his motivation is something they have specifically not revealed yet. And I have no theories. Ben always does everything for a reason, usually his own personal gain. Perhaps he just wanted to get the 06 together to try to get access to Penny so he can kill her.

And we got a partial rendition of the "Life and Death" theme, which doesn't bode well.

Hmmm, so the "piano theme" as I've referred to it is known as the "Life and Death" theme, eh? Interesting.

I really do wish I hadn't known about Eloise's name beforehand, though...that would have made the end of the episode a little more shocking. But still yet another vastly entertaining episode, and I'm greatly looking forward to watching it again tomorrow online.

I dunno, even before they announced her first name it seemed fairly obvious that she would turn out to be Farraday's mum.

I dunno, I might not have made the connection. Hard to say.

As for the theme, one of its most straightforward statements is in the S1 OST track entitled "Life and Death," and it's almost never used for anything other than death scenes, so it seems an appropriate title.

While I liked all the recent episodes, I begin to worry about this whole s-f/fantasy element. Before, it was only suggested. Now it seems to be very upfront. But then again the creators always stated the show was always about "the long con", so there's probably a reason why there is still season 6 to come. I'm intrigued, but cautiously.

Oh, and nice scoring this year.

Karol

I don't trust Ben, he wants to get back to the Island for his own purposes.

In fact I wouldn't be suprised if he

kills Locke when he comes back to mainland.

Also, I wonder where in time Sawyer and the group were when Locke fixed the problem.

Someone posted a quote from Daniel Dae Kim, taken from an interview, over at FSM.

He mentions that just because he's alive doesn't mean he'll re-unite with Sun because events are not "particularly in the same place or chronologically in the same time".

That's a good question. The last flash we saw, that happened as Locke was falling down the well, seemed to have brought them to a VERY old time, as the well hadn't even been dug yet, and the room hadn't been frozen over.

In fact, that makes the room very interesting:

-Ben turned the wheel in January 2005, but when Locke arrives in the very old time, its still "off its track". That seems to indicate that the room itself is immune to the time traveling

-Contradictory to that, though, is how the room is normal in one timeframe and frozen solid in another. Interesting.

Anyway, I wonder if, when Locke turned the wheel, our lostaways remained in that timeframe, or returned to their proper timeframe (January 2005)?

Locke should have been teleported to Tunisia, right?

Also: Rebecca Mader confirms death of Charlotte

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/...0,6200770.story

according to my other half David, Lost is completely Lost this season. He's very disappointed with all the time travel foolishness.

He says that the show doesn't suck, but its not having a good season at all.

Well Charlotte's death may explain Faraday appearing at the Dharma center on the season premier.

I wonder how he managed that, either by luck with the time jumps or he figured out how to move thru time.

That's a good question. The last flash we saw, that happened as Locke was falling down the well, seemed to have brought them to a VERY old time, as the well hadn't even been dug yet, and the room hadn't been frozen over.

In fact, that makes the room very interesting:

-Ben turned the wheel in January 2005, but when Locke arrives in the very old time, its still "off its track". That seems to indicate that the room itself is immune to the time traveling

-Contradictory to that, though, is how the room is normal in one timeframe and frozen solid in another. Interesting.

Anyway, I wonder if, when Locke turned the wheel, our lostaways remained in that timeframe, or returned to their proper timeframe (January 2005)?

Locke should have been teleported to Tunisia, right?

My guess is that the wheel was off its axis because the island was unstuck in time. Locke simply put it back in place to stop the flashes.

Well Charlotte's death may explain Faraday appearing at the Dharma center on the season premier.

That makes sense. Daniel is the only one who hasn't had a nose bleed, right? He couldn't have been on the island before.

But still, Faraday still hasn't got one and he's been there with the rest of them. He said it was linked to how long they've been on the island when Miles asked him about it. Desmond has been through so much of time travel stuff, I'm really excited for his confrontation with Ms. Hawking.

Well Locke and Jin should have one by now since Sawyer started having one.

I think it starts affecting the mind, Faraday told Desmond he needed to focus on something when he was experiencing the jumps that drove the crew mad.

Mind you I'm just basing my opinions on the actual show. I'm not watching all the podcasts or interviews where hints are dropped.

I don't recall him having one.

Lostpedia doesn't mention it either...

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Nosebleed

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Little_Prince

It was when only Charlotte had them ,so I remember thinking "ok,so he gets them too" .Maybe it was 2-3 weeks ago

Maybe you are thinking of Miles?

Charlotte got them first, then Miles, then Juliet, then Sawyer

I don't think it's a hideout, but yes it is the same Temple. He dragged the guy in through a Cerberus Vent. There are holes like that all around the island where it comes in and out of.

And after checking out some Ajira Airways stuff on Lostpedia, I know why the next episode is called 316.

I'm assuming it's the flight the O6 take back to the island.

I assumed that was the Temple. Major geek-out moment for me, especially with the hieroglyphs, which I did notice.

For the record, I don't remember Faraday getting a nosebleed, either.

(Also, Koray, I'm really nitpicking here, but in the future, if you're gonna put a spoiler in, can you make sure that even something like the reference to Ajira is in spoiler tags? Leaving it visible really narrows down the sorts of things that could be in the spoiler tags. Thanks! =))

Obviously, it hasn't been confirmed in the show, so it's really only speculation at this point. I feel pretty certain, though.

Also, as far as music goes, I want to say that I've generally been happy with this season thus far. Season 4's scores often left me a little cold, but Giacchino seems to have gotten his nerve (and originality) back, and I'm really enjoying some of the statements of the old themes. The S1 traveling theme has made several appearances (so to speak), which has been deeply gratifying for me. I was just watching the pilot earlier yesterday and remembering how much I enjoy that theme. Hearing a new, rapid statement of the monster/explosives/Black Rock theme during one of the scenes with the monster was also a lot of fun.

Yes, I remember seeing that when the video came out in December.

Looks like a new Dharma station...maybe it's called the Beacon?

Anyway, I echo all the praise of last night's episode. They've been consistently great so far this season, and have gotten better since the premiere, which is pretty rare. I loved seeing the Temple and finding out that it looks to be the monster's hideout....I wonder what Smokey did to Rousseau's team to "change" them? Montand yelling to them after getting pulled down into the hole seemed like a trick, so maybe Smokey does some sort of weird possession thing to people. Can't wait to find out more...I like how it appears to be such an organic, amorphous entity, yet sounds very mechanical.

Charlotte's death was pretty unexpected for me...I'm not surprised she died, but I thought it would be later. It was done well, and was actually pretty sad. She was kind of a bitch last season, but I'd warmed up to her a good deal. And it was nice to hear "Life and Death" in that restrained, almost cameo sort of way.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting Charlotte's death, either. I've always had mixed feelings about the character, but on the whole, I've been liking her more lately, so it's kinda sad to see her go.

As for Montand calling for help...I figured that was a trick. Smokey doing the same mimickry it's ostensibly done for Christian and Yemi, among others. But considering how an apparently real Robert was changed by the monster...maybe it really was him, in some sort of altered state. In any case, it must have been a trap. And I'm looking forward to finding out more about the monster, the Cerberus Vents, the Temple, and so forth, even if I have to wait another year.

In other news...WHERE ARE ROSE AND BERNARD? X(

Updated list of episode titles:

5.01 Because You Left

5.02 The Lie

5.03 Jughead

5.04 The Little Prince

5.05 This Place Is Death

5.06 316

5.07 The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham

5.08 LeFleur

5.09 Namaste

5.10 He's Our You

5.11 Whatever Happened Happened

5.12 Dead Is Dead

5.13 Some Like It Hoth

5.14 The Variable

Updated air dates list:

5.01 Jan 21 9pm EST

5.02 Jan 21 10pm EST

5.03 Jan 28 9pm EST

5.04 Feb 4 9pm EST

5.05 Feb 11 9pm EST

5.06 Feb 18 9pm EST

5.07 Feb 25 9pm EST

week off

5.08 Mar 11 9pm EST

5.09 Mar 18 9pm EST

5.10 Mar 25 9pm EST

5.11 Apr 1 9pm EST

5.12 Apr 8 9pm EST

5.13 Apr 15 9pm EST

5.14 Apr 22 9pm EST

5.15 Apr 29 9pm EST

5.16 May 6 9pm EST

5.17 May 6 10pm EST

This is reminding me of this game " Worlds of Ultima ,The Savage Empire" game I played in the 1990's. The intitial part of the game was on the surface world which was a primitive jungle with magic powers, natives and monsters such as dinosaurs ,but eventually you found your way to an underground world built by advanced beeings that "explained" the big scheme of things

I think the smoke monster is just a guardian to the entrance (The Temple) to an underworld built by the original inhabitants/builders of the island. Darmah Initiative built labs and facilities around those (probably mostly unexplored) ancient passages and structures to study them and the others were just there to profit from the superficial powers of the island (more like opportunists).

I agree!

And I also think the Swan Station, and the 108 minute counter, have something to do with the Jughead bomb being buried in concrete there

I think the Swan countdown timer was installed because Darmah digged and disturbed something they shouldn't have and they devised that button mechanism to control whatever mistake they made . Not sure it has anything to do with the atom bomb.

If the Others are just opportunists wanting to "benefit" from the island powers , Charles Withmore is probably a "corporate rival" fighting them for it . The Others might want a more direct relationship with the island like live on it , while Withmore might just purely want to exploit the island on a more industrial level .

so

--Original inhabitants: non-human advanced beings, aliens? (the 4 toe statue is probably them) >>>Built an ancient but advanced underground city that explains the island surface phenomenons (magnetic shifts, healing, time travel and portals... ) , all of which are probably not that important in the end . Entrance to city = The Temple guarded by smoke monster. The hieroglyphs is their language.

--Others: Lived on the island for a while and benefit from island powers such as healing ,not aging...etc.. Accepted by Jacob (remnant of the original inhabitants) as good allies and protectors of the island (Jacob uses the Others but lets the Others use the island , like a symbiosis) .Ben can control the smoke monster because Jacob lets him , Jacob decides who gets healed or not...etc.. Their main problem is the fertility and pregnancy issues of the women .

---US Army: Came to the Island to test nuclear weapons in the 1940's. Probably thought it was just another random isolated island.

--Darmah Initative :Neutral , just wanted to study the island and it's properties and maybe harness it's powers to make the world better . Built labs and barracks around random chambers of the ancient underground city they dug out since they couldn't directly enter it (Temple is guarded by smoke monster) . Digged in areas they shouldn't have (had to build The Swan and countdown timer to prevent a world catastrophe) . Darmah made a partial map of the ancient city (is that what Locke saw projected on the wall in The Swan?)

--Charles Withmore: Billionaire who wants the island to exploit it industrially .Was originally an Other but went his own way and is power mad.