Lost

Mr. Breathmask

Does anybody else think the Oceanic Six (and Ben) aren't the only ones to have gotten pulled off the plane? I don't see any other reason for Frank Lapidas to have been the pilot, from a writing standpoint. And if that's a ruse to get Jeff Fahey on the cast full-time, I'm fine with that; love me some Lawnmower Man.

I'd also guess that Sayid's captor got dumped on the island along with him, and that the random dude who offered Jack his condolences is now an Islander, as well.

That's what I'm thinking.

I'm also thinking that now that the Oceanic 6 are on the island there will be some flashbacks with them before they got back to show what happened to Aaron, Ben, and pretty much everyone else except for Jack.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two? There's the one that plays when Charlie reads the message she tags onto the seagull. I slightly recall a smaller lighter one for their romance. Yes?

Well, there's the one for their romance/friendship, and then one that's geared more towards her and Aaron. Both are on the first OST ("We're Friends" and "Thinking Clairely," IIRC).

And I agree, red rabbit. It'll be very, very interesting to see what happened.

Also...anyone else find it bizarre that no one appeared phased by Ben's appearance on the plane? Jack never even commented on his injuries.

That really was a thematically rich episode, I must say. The O6's theme...Kate's theme...bits of Jack's theme...Ben's theme...the survivors' theme...the main theme...Ms. Hawking's theme...even a I-V chord progression that sounded like it was right out of one of the traveling themes.

I've never been able to figure out what Kate's theme is. Do you know off the top of your head which tracks on the 3 OSTs would contain it? (I know it's in Kate's Motel, but I don't remember hearing any part of that track again somewhere else at the moment)

Several very straightforward renditions of the main component of her theme (not the secondary seven-note melody Datameister also mentioned) play in "Romancing the Cage" starting at 0:09, before giving way to the love theme at 0:45 (gives me chills!). It also makes a brief, very leitmotivic, appearance at 1:14 in "Flash Forward Flashback." But yeah, "Kate's Motel" is definitely the main representation of it among all the soundtracks.

Several very straightforward renditions of the main component of her theme (not the secondary seven-note melody Datameister also mentioned) play in "Romancing the Cage" starting at 0:09, before giving way to the love theme at 0:45 (gives me chills!). It also makes a brief, very leitmotivic, appearance at 1:14 in "Flash Forward Flashback."

Yes, right you are. Knew I had to be forgetting some obvious ones. ;)

It appears Locke might really be dead after all. Also, considering the parallels between his body and Shepard Sr.'s during the 815 flight and him being the driving force in getting the O6 back to the island, I'm wondering about Shepard Sr.'s role in the original 815 crash.

I wonder if Locke is going to become an apparition much like Christian has been.

I also wonder if there was a dead person aboard Rousseau's boat. We know the drug plane carried Yemi's body. Perhaps the Black Rock also had a dead person on board?

I just had a revelation as I was waking up this morning. Perhaps I'm just stating the obvious, or perhaps this is far less profound than it seemed at the time, but "This Place Is Death" really does deal extensively with the theme of Island-induced death, not just Charlotte's. We start out with the monster apparently making Rousseau's team "sick" and resulting in Rousseau killing them all...then we have Charlotte's death...and then we have Smokey-Christian telling John he needs to sacrifice himself. That episode does not exactly portray the Island as the wonderful place it sometimes seems to be!

I wonder if Locke is going to become an apparition much like Christian has been.

I also wonder if there was a dead person aboard Rousseau's boat. We know the drug plane carried Yemi's body. Perhaps the Black Rock also had a dead person on board?

It just struck me how the answers and theories are even more bizzare than the questions. You know, you ask "why do they need Locke's body?", and then you get the answer "because you need a man in the coffin on the plane to replicate another body from tha last crash, for whatever reason". It's hilarious how many people (not necessarily here) find this revealing and logical. Must be the magic of television.

Karol

I suspect Locke might take over from Christian and become one with the Island.

This is exactly why right now I find the show both exhilarating and frustrating. It becomes a true cult show. For good or bad.

Karol

Which is why I think there might be more to there just being a dead guy.

I suspect Locke might take over from Christian and become one with the Island.

But then who would lead the Others?

Good point.

Actually, scrap what I said entirely. Locke won't take Christian's place. There have been far too many hints that he will be reincarnated for him to become a spirit-like entity.

But then who would lead the Others?

It probably won't be Locke. The writers said once that Locke thinks its a good idea for him to be a leader and that it wouldn't be such a great idea. Whatever this means.

Karol

Some guys I know put together a website called Jackfaces.com

They also do LOST points for each episode

for example

Lost Points for Episode 5.06, "316"

-5 The new cage people points for The Oceanic Six

+2 Oh hey that's where "doubting Thomas" comes from points for Learning

-5 Baby-killer points for Kate

-5 Get rid of things that make you sad points for Aaron

+2 Gross angry baby-kiler sex points for Jack

+6 Pendulum-dodger points for Des

+5 Done with this poo points for Des

-2 Unhygenic points for Simon's Butcher Shop

+4 Seat hog points for Hurley

+2 Shameless plug en espanol points for That Comics Guy

+2 Oh god what did you do points for Bloody Ben

+4 Who cares? points for Ben

+3 Teaching points for Ben's Dead Mom

+3 Persistence points for Dead Locke

+3 Passive-aggressive points for Dead Locke

+3 Yay points for Frank

-5 Wasting the end of the episode repeating the beginning of the episode points for Lost

-10 Wasting two opportunities to kill Kate points for Lost

+6 When it doubt, it's Jin points for Omg It's Jin

Was that a Wilhelm I heard during the plane crash?

Yes. I forgot to mention that. Quite subdued, but still cool. :)

And Marc, ever since this episode I've been expecting Locke to make frequent apparitions as a spirit thingy.

I hope and suppose so-- like Ben & Yoda.

Good points.

Wasn't the Black Rock a slave ship? There must have been some dead slaves.

The theme of this season is sacrifice and reincarnation

Cuse & Lindelof specified the symbols near the wheel referred to resurrection.

Is it metaphorical? (As the island moves around, it appears to die and resurrect)

Is it literal? (Christian's coffin was empty)

There's more than that. The text on Ben's van is an anagram of "reincarnation" and remember the warnings from ghosts Claire and Charlie last year?

"Don't bring him back. Don't you dare bring him back."

"Don't raise him."

Were they really talking about Aaron? Somehow, I think not...

There's more than that. The text on Ben's van is an anagram of "reincarnation" and remember the warnings from ghosts Claire and Charlie last year?

"Don't bring him back. Don't you dare bring him back."

"Don't raise him."

Were they really talking about Aaron? Somehow, I think not...

In fact someone asked Lindelof and Cuse the question about that. All they said that's its a good one and that they always write these kind of lines with a purpose in mind.

Karol

Considering that Lindelof & Cuse are both Star Wars fans and always acknowledged it as (one of the many) inspirations for the series, I too think Locke will become a sort of Jedi-like figure in the future episodes.

So does anybody have any ideas on the symbolism of shoes in the show? I only picked up on it in the third season, when Sawyer complained he wasn't wearing any shoes before killing the original Sawyer. Then I remember there were a bunch of instances in the first season where shoes were given prominent mentions, but I had forgotten all about it until I saw last week's episode. Any ideas?

Christian's shoes are important. First episode, right when Jack runs to the beach, there's a white shoe in a tree. That was Christian's shoe, he was out of the coffin the second the plane crashed and was already an apparition. When Locke was in the cabin to see Jacob, a quick glimpse shows Christian sitting in the rocking chair. It's safe to assume Jacob and Christian are one and the same. When Hurley looked inside the cabin, Christian was wearing the white shoes. When Locke has spoken to Christian, and when Christian appeared to Michael, he was no longer wearing the white shoes but boots.

It's safe to assume Jacob and Christian are one and the same.

Strongly disagree

Well not really as in the same person. Christian Shepherd is dead. That is a fact. Jacob is some sort of spiritual entity that has taken human form through Christian's body.

Same thing, right?

But, Koray, beyond the specific case of Christian, can you think of other examples where there's an important mention of shoes? It would be weird if the writers just arbitrarily made Sawyer walk barefoot in his most pivotal epiosode.

I remember that wall from a video podcast, I believe. I don't know who was on each side, but didn't they say early on that once you see someone dead, they're dead?

Yes. And Christian Shepherd certainly isn't alive anymore.

But he, along with Yemi and Kate's horse are apparently in the Undead category.

What I'm most curious about right now though, is in which category Claire falls...

It's safe to assume Jacob and Christian are one and the same.

Strongly disagree

Well not really as in the same person. Christian Shepherd is dead. That is a fact. Jacob is some sort of spiritual entity that has taken human form through Christian's body.

Disagree again. I think Jacob has been forcibly removed from his position, hence why he said "Help Me" to Locke in season 3. Christian is using his cabin, but he is not Jacob. Though he claimed he was speaking for Jacob when he told Locke to move the island, we don't know that he wasn't lying.

When Hurley looked into the cabin he saw Christian sitting there, and then saw (presumably) Jacob's eye. Hurley saw two separate people in the cabin. Jacob is clearly his own entity.

I didn't like Mrs Hawkings mumbo jumbo explanations at the beginning .I didn't feel she was explaining things I should know but just giving random explanations because the writers didn't come up with anything better

I didn't like the early scenes at all. It took away so much of the mysteriousness of the character. Not the mystery, but I liked her enigmatic. I loved the rest of the episode. I got goosebumps at a couple of moments.

So I'm re-watching "Solitary" from S1, when Rousseau is introduced, and her story is...interesting. She says that their vessel hit rocks in a storm at night, and the hull was breached, so they set up camp. (No mention of a life raft or finding a strange Korean man at sea...) Then two months passed, and on the way back from the Black Rock, some of the team members got sick. She says that the Others - whom she has never seen - were the carriers. No mention of a cloud of black smoke sucking the team away, one by one, and "changing" them. And later in that season, she refers to the guy losing his arm, but not to him dying or never being seen again.

There are obvious discrepancies. The question is...were these the result of memory being fickle over the course of 16 solitary years? Are they mistakes on the show's creators' parts? Or do they actually all fit together to form a sensible whole - a full story that we're only familiar with parts of?