Earthquake

Figo

I just found Earthquake used, for under five bucks! I brought it home and put it on the disc player, full of anticipation -- and what a groovy snooze-fest! Sheesh, and Neil was only just thanking God Ken Thorne wrote "Honeymoon Hotel." Maybe they should have used the soundtrack to Earthquake instead.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just picked up Seven Years in Tibet for $2.99 used. Whee! :shakehead:

I bought Earthquake a while ago and paid (gasp) full price for it. I was getting the disaster soundtracks. How appropriate!

BigJohn

I know some of you people don't think too much before buying a soundtrack, but those of you who do, how do you decide which ones to buy? I look at reviews, find as many sound clips as I can, and then try to find a really low price. I need advice.

i have Earthquake also. the main theme is very good and gets its best performance on the "Great Composers" cd, a compilation cd of a wide selection of Williams' works.

Earthquake is such a cool score! The exhilorating jazziness of 'Miles On Wheels' & 'Something For Rosa' are such fun, albeit cheesy! But hey, the '70's was meant to be cheesy, yes?

The soaring horn led main title captures the hustle and bustle of the city exceptionally well, with the secondary city theme causing us to pause and reflect quite succinctly.

It is a very important score in the Williams canon, so I do recommend that everyone checks it out! It was also a favourite of Williams at the time, wonder if it still is? :?

The RSNO's arrangement lacked the original punch, as the tempo is ponderous, the rhythm section's balance is too low and the recording has too much reverb. Their re-recording of 'The Towering Inferno' was the opposite though, an excellent rendition that packs more of a punch! :nono: Suppose the 'concert hall sound' works better for some and not for others!?

I just found Earthquake used, for under five bucks!  I brought it home and put it on the disc player, full of anticipation -- and what a groovy snooze-fest!  Sheesh, and Neil was only just thanking God Ken Thorne wrote "Honeymoon Hotel."  Maybe they should have used the soundtrack to Earthquake instead.

Aw c'mon, Figo! Earthquake is actually the first John Williams CD I ever bought, partly because I liked the picture on the front cover. I like the score a lot but I don't think the CD really does it justice, for the following reasons:

- as with most albums of the time, I believe the album is a re-recording so differs slightly from the original soundtrack

- the Varese album is poorly sequenced (IMHO) with a couple of the tracks indexed incorrectly; I would have put the track 'The City Sleeps' (actually the end title) at the end where it belongs

- the album misses out a lot of the more dissonant and atonal cues that underscored the disaster scenes (e.g. the prologue, the burial of the dam workers, etc.). While they may not be hummable on their own their inclusion would have made for a more rounded and enjoyable listening experience as with FSM's "The Towering Inferno" release.

- personally I would also have included a dialogue track of police officer George Kennedy shouting, "Zsa Zsa Gabor!" You gotta love 'im.

- I would have also included dialogue excerpts from that ridiculous bedroom discussion between 190-year-old Chuck Heston and his young lover Genevieve Bujold about what the male equivalent of nymphomaniac is ("A satyr, I believe"). Quite unbelievable.

For the jazz enthusiasts among you, several great jazz musicians performed on the original soundtrack, including Clare Fischer (piano), Shelly Manne (drums) and Vince de Rosa (french horn).

Damien yipee

I will weigh in in defence of the Earthquake score and album, although I hate those now ridiculously low-fi sound effects! It is perhaps not one of his most successful scores, but it suggests to me that JW was getting tired of the disaster genre. It does kind of come off like a TV score sometimes.

There is some beautifully wacky 70's business there, as well as some truly fine jazz piano and an appropriately mundane main theme.

FSM's releases of the Poseidon Adventure and the Towering Inferno are wonderful. Those scores are far better than Earthquake. Killer main/end titles for both!

The sound effects are a trip. They should have gone whole hog and included the dialogue. That would have elevated it to the status of Cheese Classic.

We're in agreement on one thing, Damian -- the cover art is great. I especially like all the writhing bodies hurtling into the void.

Figo, ;) Earthquake.

Groovy!

Actually this is one score that needs to be expanded and remastered. There are several cues that need to be added to the current release.

Figo, I really do like the score myself. Its kind of jazzy, cheesy, pulpish.

Its alot more fun a score than Poseidon Adventure, though no where the quality of the Towering Inferno, which I think is one of John's underrated greats(should have beaten the score the Godfather 2). I love to play the earthquake to just below the point where it will ruin my speakers. Shakes the whole house.

And I agree the city sleeps is a mournful, sad tale of a que, that I really like.

Two of the tracks are transposed on the CD, if memory serves. Meaning that the corresponding track titles do not reflect the cues on the disc.

I must've listened to the disc only once in its entirety in all the years I've had it. But for those who grew up in the 70s, the film was one of those "all star cast" disaster films that were a bundle of fun to watch.

Maybe Earthquake needs an expanded release. Out of 11 tracks on the CD there are 5 that don't even begin to appear in the movie, and only 1 track (Love Theme) appears in its entirety!

• 6 years later...

Because SW, JP, HP and IJ outshine any other score.

Even if they have all that funky underscore, only for their main themes the disaster scores of JW deserve more recognition, brilliantly constructed (a construction that would only but expand to mastery levels in the decades to come) and showing some of the earlier examples in film scoring of his own musical voice.

I can't help but think that I would like these old scores much better if they were available in modern, pristine sound quality. That's why I was so excited to hear FSM's Superman release, though it turned out not to be a major improvement in sound (indeed, "Helicopter Rescue" is inferior to the Rhino version).

Debney's recording of Earthquake is atrocious.

As I mentioned earlier this is a score that is deserving of a remastered release and I do believe there is some more dramatic underscore that could be added.

I would also hope they would ditch the stupid sound effects that cover up some of the music.

Debney's recording of Earthquake is atrocious.

Huh, atrocious. So categorical.

Excuse me, what is so atrocious about it? Whatever that doesn't equal an LSO performance? I bet you have to be so let down with any live concert that you got to...

Funnily I was listening to Rawsthorne's Symphonic Studies yesterday, and I found the Royal Scottish recording much better than LSO's bowdown

But, well, back to the topic, Debney's direction of the music in this theme in particular has some good dynamics, I don't hear anything bad at all...

I found the performance sloppy and poorly performed. It's severly lacking compared to Williams' original.

Just because the LSO plays it doesn't always guarantee a great perfromance.

Have to agree with Mark on this Peio, as I stated back in 2002 I always thought Debney's RSNO recording lacked pace and had too much reverb. Think i'll have another listen to Earthquake on the way to work tomorrow, it's been awhile.