John Williams is a FREAK!!

USSArizona

John Williams is a freak of nature he's so good. He's awesome!!

Hey people, I'm new to the board. Die hard Williams fan here, never knew about this site until yesterday (not much of a computer guy, too old I guess). Looking forward to some fun discussion!

Anyone like apple pie?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love apple pie! And I love the music of John Williams. Welcome, my friend!

Quick briefing on the questions all newcomers eventually have:

1) Williams' sketches are complete in instrumentation. His orchestrators basically layout the 11x17 page from a complete 9 staff score that uses some shorthand to save writing time. Look up "filmscorerundowns" and "Conrad Pope" +"interview" in google for a few sources on this.

2) Williams is not a plagiarist. Some of his music sounds like that of dead composers, but this has been taken way too far by classical purists.

3) Williams did not write "Forest Gump" or "Batman"

4) Williams is not presently dying.

5) Williams is not an egomaniac.

I love apple pie! And I love the music of John Williams. Welcome, my friend!

Quick briefing on the questions all newcomers eventually have:

1) Williams' sketches are complete in instrumentation. His orchestrators basically layout the 11x17 page from a complete 9 staff score that uses some shorthand to save writing time. Look up "filmscorerundowns" and "Conrad Pope" +"interview" in google for a few sources on this.

2) Williams is not a plagiarist. Some of his music sounds like that of dead composers, but this has been taken way too far by classical purists.

3) Williams did not write "Forest Gump" or "Batman"

4) Williams is not presently dying.

5) Williams is not an egomaniac.

Thanks! Luckily, I am privileged to know all of these things already, I've been following Williams in some capacity his whole career (yes, I'm that old!)

I've recently retired and now I have way too much free time on my hands. My wife told me to take up 3 or 4 new hobbies, so maybe this discussion board can be one of them!

Thanks! Luckily, I am privileged to know all of these things already, I've been following Williams in some capacity his whole career (yes, I'm that old!)  

So, I'm wondering if you know about Williams very early work... That's one of the areas I try to study the harder, not so much because I'm more interested on it, but because is the one fewer people know or talk about.

I've been known to eat apple pie while listening to Williams!

Welcome to the board!

Tim

I'm actually eating apple pie this very moment! I got this new laptop last week, so I can eat pie, discuss John Williams and enjoy this lovely 48 degree farenheit evening on my porch all at the same time!

So, I'm wondering if you know about Williams very early work... That's one of the areas I try to study the harder, not so much because I'm more interested on it, but because is the one fewer people know or talk about.

Well, I don't know if my knowledge of Williams' early work is any greater than that of you or anyone else on this forum, but I have been following him since the mid 1950's.

Welcome to the board!

Tim

I'm actually eating apple pie this very moment! I got this new laptop last week, so I can eat pie, discuss John Williams and enjoy this lovely 48 degree farenheit evening on my porch all at the same time!

I'm having my apple pie later but not on my porch. It is -10 farenheit out there...

Anyway , welcome!

Welcome to the board!

Tim

Well, I don't know if my knowledge of Williams' early work is any greater that your's or anyone on this forum, but I have been following him since the mid 1950's.

Wow! You surelly must have a great knowledge of his work...

Do you have any of his stuff as a performer from that time? Is always so hard to get them, mostly becasue of the other John T. (for Thomas) Williams playing the piano in Jazz recordings during that period.

Do you have any of his stuff as a performer from that time? Is always so hard to get them, mostly becasue of the other John T. (for Thomas) Williams playing the piano in Jazz recordings during that period.

I have some Stan Kenton recordings with Johnny Williams in my collection, as well as a few LP/8 track soundtrack's where Williams was on piano (this is coincidence as I just bought the LP without knowing he was on it). Actually, my uncle, long since passed away, used to listen to John Williams' father play drum set in various night clubs. My most coveted LP's/8 tracks from that era are those that Jerry Goldsmith wrote the music for, and where Williams was playing the piano. What a small world we live in!

Welcome George! It's always great to have new members who remain active after several months. Be sure to check out the Official Memberlist Profile Thread located at the the top of the General Discussion page.

When you have the chance, can you tell me more about those albuns? Naturally i know about some of his work as session pianist for some of his fellow Hollywood composers, but probably don't know about every single one. And this si the first time ever I read about him playing for Stan Kenton. i do know, that in the 60's he wrote his Prelude and Fugue for Kenton's orchestra.

I have some Stan Kenton recordings with Johnny Williams in my collection, as well as a few LP/8 track soundtrack's where Williams was on piano (this is coincidence as I just bought the LP without knowing he was on it). Actually, my uncle, long since passed away, used to listen to John Williams' father play drum set in various night clubs. My most coveted LP's/8 tracks from that era are those that Jerry Goldsmith wrote the music for, and where Williams was playing the piano. What a small world we live in!

Sir - you are my new best friend......

Welcome!

:)

hello, its good to have an older person here, hopefully you're older than me, no doubt you're more mature.

Joe, with a song stuck in his head, if you fall I will catch you....

So....  How many grampa's do we have here?

Count me in. Six grandchildren!

When you have the chance, can you tell me more about those albuns?

Miguel, what would you like to know and about what albums? Anything specific? I'll help if I can!

Cool, we have a grampa around here.

I'm sure your insights will be most welcome to this board.

IT's really nice to have you around. We do get a bit childlish around here.

Just please tell me something, you must be the only JW fan around here prior Jaws, am I correct? It must've been fantastic to see your idol's career soar like JW's in the 70's.

IT's really nice to have you around. We do get a bit childlish around here.

Hey thanks! The more childish, the better, it'll keep me young!

Just please tell me something, you must be the only JW fan around here prior Jaws, am I correct? It must've been fantastic to see your idol's career soar like JW's in the 70's.

Through the 1960's Williams wasn't THE guy, not yet. It was all Jerry Goldsmith in that decade, and into the eary 70's. So, as a fan I was totally following Williams during his Mark Rydell period, very cool stuff, and I knew with a little luck and the right director he would take off like a rocket ship. Of course, at no point did I ever think a guy like Steven Spielberg would come along. And although Williams really is an amazing composer, I've always wondered where his career would have gone had it not been for meeting Spielberg. Who knows?

Anyhow, I was totally into Williams well before Jaws even came along, but it wasn't until the blockbuster success of that movie did I think Williams would be well on his way to the top. I have to admit though, if Jerry Goldsmith had met Spielberg 30+ years ago, we may all be on the Jerry Goldsmith forum! It's amazing how much a great action/adventure/science fiction picture was able to do for film composers through the 70's and 80's, just amazing. If the reality based pictures that we're all experiencing today were the films of the norm back in the 70's, I don't think the role of film composer would have elevated through fame and glory nearly as quickly, if ever. But it did, and here we are, basking in the glory of our favorite film music man, Johnny Dub.

I don't care to live in any alternate reality where Williams music doesn't exist.

Perhaps an alternate reality where every film score is composed either by Hans Zimmer or Gustavo Santoalla? :)

hem, hem Merkel, I am pre Jaws, I am a first season Lost In Space fan. Thats a full decade before Jaws

John Williams is quite the freak; I saw him many years ago at the circus. That was when he was still working with his Siamese twin. I've learned that the second head had to be amputated, and that he went into composing to fill the void his brother left. Writing music truly is a love affair.

I'm going to listen to a somber, yet upbeat, elegiac piece by Williams. What a brilliant man.

John Williams is quite the freak; I saw him many years ago at the circus. That was when he was still working with his Siamese twin. I've learned that the second head had to be amputated, and that he went into composing to fill the void his brother left. Writing music truly is a love affair.

The doctors saved the second head though. They froze it for about 20 years, then made some alterations to the physical features, sold it to a Brazilian couple and they named it Gustavo. They raised him, taught him guitar, and now he has an Academy Award.

hem, hem Merkel, I am pre Jaws, I am a first season Lost In Space fan. Thats a full decade before Jaws

Well, Joe, it sounds like we have a lot in common...age! My hat's off to you good sir.

Joe must be one of the first real John Williams fans ever. I'm honored to know him.

And Arizona; welcome to the board! Are your grandchildren into Williams as well?

And Arizona; welcome to the board! Are your grandchildren into Williams as well?

Thanks! Most of them are absolutely into Johnny Dub as some of my grandchildren are musicians in their own respect. One, my youngest grandson, sang on the soundtrack to The Patriot. He was part of the recorded choir that was singing in church during the movie. He has sang in a number of other scores, but he enjoyed that one because he had a chance to meet a true master.

I have one grandson who can't stand his stuff, he studied music at Cornell, very purist type. However, even he has started to come around recently, as he no longer is in music, he is working for the government. :D

One, my youngest grandson, sang on the soundtrack to The Patriot. He was part of the recorded choir that was singing in church during the movie. He has sang in a number of other scores, but he enjoyed that one because he had a chance to meet a true master.

Wow.... That is amazing!!!

The doctors saved the second head though.  They froze it for about 20 years, then made some alterations to the physical features, sold it to a Brazilian couple and they named it Gustavo.  They raised him, taught him guitar, and now he has an Academy Award.

:D

(welcome, BTW :P )

George, to begin with, could you tell me more about those Stan Kenton albuns? And after that, why not list all soundtracks you have were Johnny plays the piano... Or better yet, I list them, and yout ell us if there are any more on your collection. Here are the ones I know about:

Funny Face (1957), música de George Gershwin, direcção musical de Adolph Deutsch;  

Sweet Smell of Sucess (1957), música de Elmer Bernstein;  

Bell, Book and Candle (1958), música de George Duning;  

South Pacific (1958), a partir do musical de Richard Rodgers, direcção musical de Alfred Newman;  

Peter Gunn (1958/59, série televisiva), música de Henry Mancini;  

Porgy and Bess (1959), direcção musical de André Previn, a partir da ópera de George Gershwin;  

Some Like It Hot (1959), música de Adolph Deutsch;  

Johnny Staccato (1959, série televisiva), música de Elmer Bernstein;  

City of Fear (1959), música de Jerry Goldsmith;  

The Twilight Zone (1959, série televisiva), vários episódios com música de Bernard Herrmann;  

Mr. Lucky (1959, série televisiva), música de Henry Mancini;  

The Apartment (1960), música de Adolph Deutsch;  

Studs Lonigan (1960), música de Jerry Goldsmith;  

The Magnificent Seven (1960), música de Elmer Bernstein;  

West Side Story (1961), direcção musical de Johnny Green, a partir do musical de Leonard Bernstein;  

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), música de Henry Mancini;  

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), música de Elmer Bernstein;  

Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (1962), música de Franz Waxman;  

The Pink Panther (1963), música de Henry Mancini

I'm sorry for the aprt in portuguese, as I take that directly form my own Williams dedicated site at johnwilliams.jw-music.net

And when Merkel, my dear friend who also replyes by the name of Romão, refers to childish atitutes, I think he means in a poor sense of the word. Thsi place can in fact get childish, as in spoiled, and sometimes there are a lot of intolerance towards otehrs opinions.

In fact, some time ago, a friend of mine who's in the age range of Joe, who has also a teen in the days of Lost in Space, was driven away by some of those child like atitudes. A loss for the board, as he is an neverending source of information and great Williams stuff, and someone I'm honored to be a fried of.

Nevertheless, I do hope you can stand above those atitudes that soemtimes surface, and stay around for many years to come.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that Joe. So the comment I made to our new member I extend to you. Your perspective must really be different than mine.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that Joe. So the comment I made to our new member I extend to you. Your perspective must really be different than mine.

Everyone's perspective is diferent form everybody's else. Ence the need to tolerance and understanding, that unfortunatelly some times is lacking in the board, despite the efforts of our great moderators.

I grew up on Star Wars, just like you, but for me that was back in the alte 70's, and for you it was some 20 years later. But even if we were the same age, and had similar musical experiences, it would be most likelly that our perspective on all of this would be at the very least, slightly diferent.

I can't imagine the thrill of being already a John Williams fan and seeing the man being so awarded and recognized as he was in the post Jaws period. Not to say he isn't recognized nowadays, but the climb to the summit of the mountain I supose is more fun than the view from the top.

John Williams is a freak of nature he's so good.  He's awesome!!

Hey people, I'm new to the board.  Die hard Williams fan here, never knew about this site until yesterday (not much of a computer guy, too old I guess).  Looking forward to some fun discussion!

Anyone like apple pie?

Welcome to the board, USSArizona!!! Nice to have you here.

I have a few questions. What are your favorite John Williams scores? And what do you like about his music these days? Surely, Johnny's music from the 50s and 60s differ greatly from the brilliant orchestral soundtracks he writes today!!!!

:D

Well, Joe, it sounds like we have a lot in common...age! My hat's off to you good sir.

Trust me. That's all you have in common.

WE all start dying the day we are born.

Boy, are we feeling down today... ;)

Seriously, while we all know that Williams is already a bit on the old side, there is no point whatsoever to keep thinking that he might die tomorrow. As it is, we are lucky that he has lived up to his age, and is in aparently good health. After all, as I leave my chair in a few moments, I can slip on some toy João as left out of place, hit with my head on some hard place, and go leave for all eternity in a cloud next to the one Mahler lives in.

After all, as I leave my chair in a few moments, I can slip on some toy João as left out of place, hit with my head on some hard place, and go leave for all eternity in a cloud next to the one Mahler lives in.

That's depressing.

... can I have your JW collection?

Actually, none of you are... (Desculpa mas são coisas da vida...)

As it is, my older son, who has just turned three, already know a number of Williams themes, and loves them. He used to call John "The Music Man", but today, I told him that they share the same name, and he's now terribly happy and keeps calling João to the guy conducting the music from ET (his favourite movie of the moment).

In a curious event today, I had just made a slide show using the Soundtrack.net pictures and podcast of the SCL Oscar Reception, and as the Santaolalla and Williams handshake pops up, João went to the TV saying that John was a nice good guy, and Santaolalla was a mean one...

So, my point is, my kids are getting the collection, sorry.