FSM Releases Williams' "Goodbye, Mr. Chips"!

robthehand

Hopefully not, Bespin.  I really feel your pain. 

if they were to physically release, say, a 2CD program with most, but not all of the 3CD content (like the interviews) would that be enough, or do you need it all to fill the gap?  

Mike did say he’d like to get the music out there again. Maybe Ian Fraser will find more stuff to make another physical release worthwhile.  It sounded like Mike had to basically say “enough” as it was being finalized and more recordings were being found. 

I hope it comes available again. 

The score and the original album would probably fit on 2-CD, it would be enough for me.

Let's be honest, I have the FLAC of the 3-CD set.. but I want a physical copy for my collection!

What I was going to do once I acquired the 3CD set was to create an album programme in my iTunes out of the score cues, much like I did TOM SAWYER, that would be on a "disc 2", after the OST program (which is mostly just songs). The rest, I wouldn't really have any interest in, and it would stand on my shelf as a collector's item (I'm not really a "collector", but Williams is an exception).

There's also a promo album... but that's another thing... I digitally restored it from the LP. It contains some alt versions.

The Promo has 14 tracks.

image.png

23 minutes ago, Hedji said:

So that seems to be much of the content of Disc 2 of the FSM?

No, some alt on this LP are not on the 3-CD set. if I remember well, the alternates concern the voice tracks only, or the EDITS are slightly different.

It is "rare" but I think, not really important. If there are 12 takes of a song, I don't think the 12 has to be put on record... The Promo LP look like a "first draft" of the soundtrack album.

Very interesting!  And I agree, unless you are intimately familiar with the material since your youth, a slightly different take won’t make much of an impression. But still, a very cool piece, especially if it has some vocal only tracks!

13 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Very interesting!  And I agree, unless you are intimately familiar with the material since your youth, a slightly different take won’t make much of an impression. But still, a very cool piece, especially if it has some vocal only tracks!

I remember trying to sync those versions, like "London is London", with the ones on the CDs, and discovered many little differences, without having studied all the tracks.

I just added "Containing some alternates cues" on my disco.

• 8 months later...

For those of you who follow Lukas Kendall's blog, recently he mentioned that there might be spare copies of OOP FSM CDs available in the SAE inventory. So it's possible that an extra copy of this title may pop up

Yes, I sent him an email and he answered me that within 30 minutes after writing his post, he received 478 emails asking him for his "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" boxset. :P

His albums will be sold through Screen Archive music website, so I refresh the page each 15 seconds since yesterday.

49 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Yes, I sent him an email and he answered me that within 30 minutes after writing his post, he received 478 emails asking him for his "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" boxset. :P

His albums will be sold through Screen Archive music website, so I refresh the page each 15 seconds since yesterday.

Did he really tell you 478 people emailed him for that one release or is that just playful exaggeration?? Because if it’s the former, that’s nuts.

• 1 year later...

I recently got this release, and also just finished watching the film for the first time… The recent LLL Hook had gotten me interested in Leslie Bricusse and his collaborations with Williams, and I turned to this one primarily based on my love of the overture that was released on the 2017 Boston Pops rarities album. My favorite bit of the overture had always been what I now know to be the “You and I” theme—a theme which brought me to tears multiple times in the context of the film itself.

Anyways, WOW. What a film, and what a score. Some of the songs may not be the most memorable, but “You and I” more than makes up for that. (And “London Is London” is very catchy, and will no doubt be joining a playlist with TOD’s “Anything Goes”!) And even though it may be another guy’s themes, this is still a Williams score through and through, and I couldn’t be happier for it. His orchestration and sense of drama are all over the place, and he is totally in command here. “First Act Finale” and the “Exit Music” (both of which feature amazing renditions of “You and I”), as well as the “Entr’acte” music, have already become instant favorite orchestral JW tracks, and I’ve been grinning from ear-to-ear and playing them on repeat ever since first hearing them. (Plus “You and I,” of course.) Excited to dig into the entirely of this 3-CD set and get to know it all! And I’m excited to keep exploring Bricusse’s work, as well!

Damn....the bumping of this thread made me think there was another reissue on the way. The FSM 3CD set is one out of 8 John Williams items I need in physical format.