FSM Releases Williams' "Goodbye, Mr. Chips"!

robthehand

Did you actually bother to read the interview Roald?

Michael Matessino: The biggest surprise to me is how much background score Williams wrote for the film that was not used. It started with the very first cue, in fact (not counting the overture, which was always o­n the album), where he wrote this marvelous orchestral ending to the main title sequence. So the highlight is mostly in the overall feeling that the reconstructed score creates, and the undeniable impression that this is the same John Williams sound that we hear in the scores of the late 70s and later. As for surprises in other specific cues, I think the source music that Williams wrote is fantastic. I remember some people making a big deal out of “Luthor’s Luau” o­n Superman. Well, wait until you hear the Chips source music. o­ne of them is a Charleston-like piece called “Savoy” that is a precursor to the “Cantina Band” from Star Wars. There are a couple of other 1920s-style source pieces, and also a sequence of piano solos where Williams plays five of his own melodies for a London party scene.

Wow... an apostrophy... ooo...

Anyways, the entire score is very John Williams.

If you enjoyed his 90's work, like "Home Alone," "Hook," and other films that share that sound (most of which, ironically, he worked with Leslie Bricusse on) then you'll enjoy the music for this.

There are many tracks of pure John and then others of L. B. in John's style. It's a very fun score.

It's apostrophe. They may not seem like important errors to you, but at what point does one start to get anal about the dire state of children's grammar, spelling and punctuation? Where do we draw the line to decide which elements of the English language are worth saving?

I often get the excuse "I can do it properly in an essay, but I wasn't really caring about it at the time," to which I reply, "fair enough make consistent errors such as no capital letters or 'commapression', but when you add, for instance, extra apostrophes that are in no way necessary, it means you haven't been taught well enough. You shouldn't need to think hard to produce flawless consistent writing."

Bowie - grammatical freak

Guest macrea

Appropos for a thread about Chips. Looks like we have one of our own.

Just checked out the movie yesterday. Fun stuff.

Katherine: Your grammar is too perfect.

Chips: You cannot qualify a superlative.

Mine is still pending as well... I havn't recieved it yet.

I ordered something nearly a month ago right before this and I havn't recieved THAT yet eaither... they said that they had to order some more cd's becuase I ordered an out of stock one.... but it's been, seriously... 4 weeks today.

Hey, in part two of the of the exclusive Matessino interview, he mentioned that Hook is sorely deserving an expanded release (okay, I inserted the extra adverb to sell my own pro-Hook propaganda). Let's hope that he tackles this adventure in the relatively close future. That would truly be a great bit of news, and I would love for him to express more interest or desire in undertaking that project.

I need this guys number so I can bug him about it.

Tim

That would be nice... I played a track of it to a friend of mine today and he was like "WHAT IS THIS?!"

It was "Childhood," which, I must say, should have had someone else sing it, but none the less is very GMC... like "When Your Alone."

That had so much good music. I've tried cleaning up the ones I have that were bootleg, but there's only so much you can do.

Hey, in part two of the of the exclusive Matessino interview, he mentioned that Hook is sorely deserving an expanded release (okay, I inserted the extra adverb to sell my own pro-Hook propaganda).  Let's hope that he tackles this adventure in the relatively close future.  That would truly be a great bit of news, and I would love for him to express more interest or desire in undertaking that project.

Tim

that would be 100000X better news than this Mr.Chips thing.

K.m.

It's apostrophe. They may not seem like important errors to you, but at what point does one start to get anal about the dire state of children's grammar, spelling and punctuation? Where do we draw the line to decide which elements of the English language are worth saving?

I often get the excuse "I can do it properly in an essay, but I wasn't really caring about it at the time," to which I reply, "fair enough make consistent errors such as no capital letters or 'commapression', but when you add, for instance, extra apostrophes that are in no way necessary, it means you haven't been taught well enough. You shouldn't need to think hard to produce flawless consistent writing."

Don't go looking for perfect grammar on a Forum peopled with folks from all over the world.

Guest macrea

Guess there isn't enough wooden dialogue, green screen, and belching CG creatures in "Chips" for K.M., who should take his sourpuss elsewhere and let the rest of us thoroughly enjoy what looks like a stunning collection of music from a key project in Williams' career.

Dear FSM, why have you done this to me when I've just bought 12 of your CD's to get an Omega Man?

Must resist for now...must find money tree and time machine.

I should have fired my public school teachers then. (Oops... you can't.) The government does a fine job doesn't it? Let's give more taxpayer dollars! Watch the grades rise! Oops.... the chart is upside down. Yay!

Also, what's with all the nitpicking here? I don't have much free time, but I wanted to point out the great interview, and instead of a "Yeah, that was a great interview!", people talk about my punctuation. It's atrocious everywhere, yet I get caught for one extra little ' ? I also caught a typo in there, but you didn't care about the typo? I think that's a bigger concern.

Guess there isn't enough wooden dialogue, green screen, and belching CG creatures in "Chips" for K.M., who should take his sourpuss elsewhere and let the rest of us thoroughly enjoy what looks like a stunning collection of music from a key project in Williams' career.

No that's not the problem.I'm mad at the studios.The reason were not getting more important stuff is that studio let important master tapes deteriorate and sit on their stupid copyrights,just by pure greediness and mathematical business reasons.What's left to release is like scrapping the bottom of the barrel.I mean Not with My Wife You Don't?,a legal release of Fitzwilly?(who cares,I have my perfectly playing Tsunami one,unless you think U.S. laws superseed all others)

So as long as we don't get stuff like Family Plot and complete Indy's I find it beating around the bush as far as I'm concerned.What's next,an expanded Valley of the Dolls?

We haven't had an "important" Williams Expanded Score release many years(since The Fury, Home Alone 2 and Jaws).Where are expanded Potters,Star Wars Prequels,Indy,Family Plot or any other expanded post 1970 Williams score.Why do they need to guarantee to sell 100000 copies to be released while 60's comedy scores do not?Why can't important Williams stuff get limited club releases if it's the only way they won't rot forever?All we can get is his early 60's comedy stuff.Everytime it's the same dissapointement.Yeah sure each one contain a few cues that "foreshadow" Williams later style,but it's still not very exciting.

the day I come on the MB or JWFan main page and I see an announcement of a 2 c.d. set to RotS or Philosopher's Stone is the day I'll be really happy.

K.M.

Guest macrea

Let's see... a major MGM musical released just as the studio was collapsing, first time Williams worked in England, first score of this length he had to do, first year he was nominated for 2 Oscars (the other being his first nomination for his own composition), a project he supervised, orchestrated, conducted, and wrote source music (some performed by him) and background score for, first time the title is being released on CD, and instead of just an LP port-over it's a comprehensive edition including alternates and a significant amount of unused music... sounds pretty "important" to me. Certainly more so than the by-the-numbers ho-hum ROTS. Not that that wouldn't be a welcome addition to the collection, but just because something is outside your own narrow (and seemingly fanboyish) field of interest doesn't make it "unimportant." Why don't you try looking at the glass as half-full for a change? If you can't, then kindly brood over the lack of other expanded releases somewhere else instead of raining on everyone else's parade.

KM's not raining on anyone's parade; he's expressing an opinion, which is the point of a message board in the first place. If you don't like reading opinions that differ from your own, just skip over them.

Ray Bransbury - who agrees that, while somewhat interesting, this release isn't nearly as important as what the expansion of numerous other scores would've been

I don't think KM hates an expanded Chips, rather he's disappointed that we didn't get an expanded TOD, Family Plot, ROTS or Hook or something that has a broader, wider fan appeal to many of us fans. Nobody thinks Chips sucks, but on a list of "most wanted" JW releases, most JWFans probably didn't have it very high. (It wasn't on mine until [again] I read that interview, and it upped my anticipation more than just word of the release alone).

That isn't saying that Chips isn't necessary, but rather not a priority to many Williams fans. But in my book, any 3-CD set for ANY Williams score is a good one, and although I didn't get it yet, I'm surprised that Williams actually did the underscore, which makes me more interested. I had the LP for years and it didn't interest me because (1) it was a musical and (2) I always thought that it was just an adaptation with no original music by JW. So, we should be grateful for every FSM, Varese or any other archival/expanded/remastered release. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be disappointed for not getting our #1 or #2 most-wanted expansion. I got mine, the original SW Trilogy in '93 and then again in '97. Then I got my next one, The Fury, just a few years ago.

Again, I have to point out... why is there so much bickering here? I don't have the time to visit like I used to, but it seems the bickering is more than the old days. I remember when this place was a barrel of laughs and were all united in it least a general sentiment without any bashing of other's opinions. Anybody have any ideas why the change?

because people keep bickering... if you stopped... it would stop.

So anyways... I can't wait to listen to it. It's going into a playlist right a way and being saved to my mp3 player heh.

I noticed it said that Williams played 5 of his own melodies for the party scenes... was he in the film playing them or was someone else playing them and just his recording played over? Because if he was playing them that would be cool lol

I personally havn't seen the movie yet though I'm trying to get a hold of it.

Guest macrea

There's bickering only because certain malcontents insist on saying things like (and I'm paraphrasing):

"How many minutes of underscore are we getting? I'm not buying it. I hate musicals. I only listen to one track on Fiddler on the Roof. Who needs this thing? It's not important. Williams wasn't the Williams I loved back then. I want TOD, HP, Hook, and ROTS, dammit. I deserve these complete scores and I won't be happy until I have them."

...instead of saying:

"This is great news. Not my cup of tea but at least another Williams title has been given the deluxe treatment, plus it's a whole new piece of his career to explore. If it does well maybe we'll be that much closer to getting more releases like it."

Yes, MBs are place to express an opinion, but why bother to post that you're completely uninterested in the release/topic the thread is about? It comes off as being somehow personally offended that someone else has an interest when all you can do is say that a release like this is a negative thing. That's really ridiculous. "Chips" is shipping now and I can't wait to have fun with it. If you're disinterested to the point of not buying it, why even be here?

You really were a no good punk in those days.  

Thank goodness I straightened you out when we talked on the phone....

No kidding...if nothing else, I learned that you were a dude during that phone call.

Ray Barnsbury :dance:

I got mine today in the mail! That was sooo quick! I'm so thrilled...

For once I came home from church and got something good instead of finding out my mom had killed something...

--long story--

I'm ripping to my computer... It sounds amazing. I already am playing with it and adding tracks lol. It was missing the big-band-esk/007 sounding Petula Clark recording of "You and I" from one of her CD's, so I added that lol.

:dance: long story short:

I had two gineau pigs... came home, mom said "Gotta show you something."

Takes me to the porch, lifts up a towel revealing a closed, ziplock bag with my gineau pig in it.

"It wouldn't stop moving." she says...

ie: it was alive.

a week later, the other was dead. Same way.

Then, my friends fish had babies. I put them in a tank and had them for about 2 months.

I come home from college, my mom sees the tank, dumps it out.

"I cleaned it."

ie: they were alive and she emptied it and cleaned it out.

:dance:

:)  long story short:

Takes me to the porch, lifts up a towel revealing a closed, ziplock bag with my gineau pig in it.

Oh my........................... ;)

:P  long story short:

Then, my friends fish had babies. I put them in a tank and had them for about 2 months.

I come home from college, my mom sees the tank, dumps it out.

"I cleaned it."

ie: they were alive and she emptied it and cleaned it out.

:P

Are uou from the Manson family, or something?

I listened to the whole thing today, and I must say I am very very impressed. I'm usually not a great fan of musicals and I really didn't bother yet to find out what sections did Williams actually compose, because the whole thing is so enjoyable and the songs so memorable. It is a great listen, fantastic music!

• 2 years later...

Has anyone made an album/playlist with only the orchestral material from the 3-disc Goodbye Mr. Chips? I think it was King Mark who said something about wanting to do that in another topic.

If you have, would you mind posting the tracks? I can figure it out and then post it if no one else has done it - but I wanted to check first.

Thanks!