Upcoming Films

Quintus

Some more new info on the newly announced Wes Anderson film, Isle of Dogs.

‘Isle of Dogs’ Plot Details Revealed as Fox Searchlight Picks Up Wes Anderson’s Film for 2018 Release

the film is set in Japan and follows a boy’s odyssey in search of his dog.

If I'm not mistaken, Fox Searchlight also distributed Fantastic Mr. Fox, which sorta famously bombed at the box office.  I'm guessing it picked up a lot of business on home video in the years since for them to pick up another Anderson stop-motion animated movie.

On 11/21/2015 at 5:55 AM, BloodBoal said:

On 10/25/2016 at 5:49 PM, Jay said:

And the cast is:

Johnny Depp as Rachett

Michelle Pfeiffer as Mrs. Hubbard

Daisy Ridley as Mary Debenham

Judi Dench as Princess Dragomiroff.

Lucy Boynton as Countess Andrenyi

Tom Bateman as Bouc

Derek Jacobi as Masterman

Michael Pena as Marquez

Leslie Odom Jr. as Doctor Arbuthnot

Josh Gad as Hector McQueen

Willem Dafoe Joins the Murder on the Orient Express Cast

Here's a nice write up of 37 different movies coming out this year

http://www.avclub.com/article/least-we-have-37-our-most-anticipated-movies-2017-248024

I hadn't heard of The Coldest City or Annihilation before, and sounds interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coldest_City_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation_(film)

And nice to know Todd Haynes, Kathryn Bigelow, Paul Thomas Anderson, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Haneke, Richard Linklater, and Darren Aronofsk all have films coming out this year

1 hour ago, Jay said:

And nice to know Todd Haynes, Kathryn Bigelow, Paul Thomas Anderson, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Haneke, Richard Linklater, and Darren Aronofsk all have films coming out this year

Never seen a Todd Haynes pic, I think. I wish it was Todd Field.

Don't care about Bigelow.

Last pic of PTA was unwatchable for me. Hopefully this time will be different.

I'm a Steven Soderbergh fan now.

Of course, the Haneke is a no-brainer, even though I don't know if I like the European migrant crisis as a backdrop.

Totally not a Linklater man

I watch the Aronofsky but I'm not really a fan. Noah, anyone? Exactly!

The only Todd Haynes film I've seen is Carol, which I liked a lot.

Totally agreed about Todd Field.  In The Bedroom and Little Children are both excellent, excellent movies.

Hmmm, I might have actually seen that one, in the theater... been so long I don't remember anything about it.  Must rewatch!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A JJ directed film that isn't an update of a beloved work? How will that even look like?

super-8-movie-poster-01.jpg (750×1111)

Nah, its an original story, and only aesthetically an homage to 80s Spielberg.

But yes, I hope his next feature film is more original than that!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Nah, its an original story, and only aesthetically an homage to 80s Spielberg.

But yes, I hope his next feature film is more original than that!

You are being more pedantic that usual today. My point was that ever feature film he has directed had deliberate ties to something else.

. He's probably not interested in that. Spielberg and Lucas are his idols, he wants to be a billionaire by way of properties forever paying up to him like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. 

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You are being more pedantic that usual today. My point was that ever feature film he has directed had deliberate ties to something else.

Indeed. If someone constantly tries to prove the contrary it's like that someone doesn't get the gist of the matter. 

7 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Can't remember talking about that.

But yeah she acted well, but I hated her character. Not someone I'd be keen to spend the movie's runtime with anyhow.

I disagree about the character, but I also forgot about your unique requirements for movie watching.

So on a related note, what do you think about other female characters, such as Nurse Ratchet?

8 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Babadook had some alright moments, but god I hated the mother and her annoying kid.

I couldn't remember what it was about but a few days ago I saw the trailer and that refreshed my memory somewhat. I think the problem was that I couldn't relate to it. There was something about it that prevented me from embracing this movie. I do appreciate that it wanted to try something different though. It's not the one-in-a-dozen horror flick. But like with most of them, I did forget what it was all about.

37 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I disagree about the character, but I also forgot about your unique requirements for movie watching.

So on a related note, what do you think about other female characters, such as Nurse Ratchet?

I don't know, I haven't seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

The Coen Brothers' next project will be a Western mini-series called The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Sources tell Variety that Annapurna intends to pursue an innovative approach that could combine television and theatrical.

It’s still unclear how theatrical distribution could play a part in the project, but the intent is to shoot “Buster Scruggs” as a miniseries. According to sources, the scope of the project seemed too challenging to be covered in one feature film.

Plot details of “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” are unknown, though it will intertwine six different story lines.

I hope it's this same screenplay they mentioned back in 2007.

Joel: "We've written a western with a lot of violence in it. There's scalping and hanging ... it's good. Indians torturing people with ants, cutting their eyelids off."

Ethan: "It's a proper western, a real western, set in the 1870s. It's got a scene that no one will ever forget because of one particular chicken."