Upcoming Films

Quintus

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I bet that gets moved. What studio is gonna risk their big budget film against a James Cameron one?

It's true. One lesson to be learned from the last 30 years of movie-making: Never, ever bet against James Cameron.

Yeah even if people don't expect much from Avatar 2 you'd be crazy to go up against him. 

Saying that if nobody bothers with it wouldn't it be great to have your film as the alternative? 

There's rumours of Hanthology getting moved to December 2018. Cameron v Star Wars could be an interesting battle. 

Frankly I think fans of both franchises will simply go out and see both movies.  I dunno if one will really hurt the other . The bigger concern is fighting IMAX screens, I suppose.

It's also possible Avatar 2 could bomb.  I know the original made a crazy amount of money and a lot of people loved it, but it doesn't seem like the franchise (if you can even call it that) has really endured much in the ensuing 7 years (which will be 9 years by the time the sequel opens).  We'll see.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Frankly I think fans of both franchises will simply go out and see both movies.  I dunno if one will really hurt the other . The bigger concern is fighting IMAX screens, I suppose.

It's also possible Avatar 2 could bomb.  I know the original made a crazy amount of money and a lot of people loved it, but it doesn't seem like the franchise (if you can even call it that) has really endured much in the ensuing 7 years (which will be 9 years by the time the sequel opens).  We'll see.

I don't know if a single person that saw the first one that would go out and see the second. 

Any word on who will do the score?

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

It won't make anywhere near the amount the first one did. If it's not a superhero film or Star Wars it's basically a risky investment.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yup. Avatar will be remembered as little more than a footnote in film history for its financial success, and the 3D revolution it brought on. But it's not a film that people will be wanting to see again in the future. And I can't see much of a franchise with the same concept. At least not one that will share the same financial success of the first film.

Each one of the Hobbit films made less than the last! And in today's industry, if you're making a blockbuster with that kind of budget, not making a billion = a loss.

Besides, that wasn't my point! In 10 years, no is going to be playing any of The Hobbit films at home. No one is going to be playing that again in the cinema (unless PJ -God forbid- makes the Silmarillion happen). That reverence will likely stay with LOTR, but not the Hobbit! It never got into the cultural zeitgeist to that degree.

The same goes for Avatar. Everyone rushed to go see it in the cinema. Hardly anyone I know ever watches it at home. It'll be irrelevant and "redundant" when the next big technical film comes over. Cameron's other hits on the other hand, will continue to live on.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Dude... Why do you take what I say seriously?

It wasn't for you brother. It was for the NeoNeoJWfans. We must make them understand as well!

While we are (sort of) on the subject of AVATAR, I have a QQ, to wit:

If the nasty corporate people are trying to wipe-out the indigenous population, by mining the planet for all it's worth, why do they need Humans to "infiltrate" them?

On 10/25/2016 at 10:27 AM, Jay said:

But he's just writing it; Christian Rivers is directing it.

On 10/25/2016 at 10:48 AM, Jay said:

Hopefully the next film PJ directs is Tintin 2.

I think Jackson could do well with Tintin. But I'd rather he went back to small films as he claimed he would. Something like Heavenly Creatures.

Just now, KK said:

I think Jackson could do well with Tintin. But I'd rather he went back to small films as he claimed he would. Something like Heavenly Creatures.

I think him saying that is a bit like George Lucas saying that he was going to make small independent films in his garage. 

No, unless you count narrating a documentary.  Murder on the Orient Express is the only film she has opening before Episode 8.  Every else (Peter Rabbit, Chaos Walking, Kolma, Ophelia, The Lost Wife) comes out after that.

What's a heck of a lot more exciting than Daisy Ridley is a Doug Liman movie written by Charlie Kaufman!  What a partnership!  Can't wait to see the results, good or bad.

Of course I know literally nothing about the source material.

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

He said it in some red carpet interview for the premiere of The Force Awakens. Can't recall where it was from but it was posted on the board. He said makes films for his friends. 

It was here:

Of course I meant the ten seconds I see there look stupid, not the movie itself, which I haven't seen.  Come on now!

I don't like the design of the create shown at 0:03

i don't like the 2 eyes splitting into 4 eyes at 0:05

Helicopter shot at 0:07 looks fake

Underwater scene at 0:09 looks like a retread of Rogue Nation

The two scenes shown at 0:11-0:12 look like they have poor CGI

The 1999 film of the same name was pretty stupid too, but loads of fun.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't like the design of the create shown at 0:03

i don't like the 2 eyes splitting into 4 eyes at 0:05

Helicopter shot at 0:07 looks fake

Underwater scene at 0:09 looks like a retreat of Rogue Nation

The two scenes shown at 0:11-0:12 look like they have poor CGI

Oh no! Poor CGI! In a first look teaser released 6 months before the movie!