What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Westworld is a slow-burner but solid. It's not like anything on network TV.

A slow-burner is the last thing I would call it. I thought the first episode is the best. Then it gets worse with each new episode. The level of writing is very ordinary, on the par of miniseries of the past. As it is always with Nolan, everything is spelled out and and every point is is made painfully clear.

It's why Drax thinks it great!

Mindhunter 1x01 Episode 1

New Netflix show about the FBI guys that figured how the importance of criminal profiling and getting into the criminal mind to figure out their motivations.

The pilot was directed by David Fincher, and it turns out he'll be directing 4 out of the 10 episodes.  The entire cast is completely unknown, I didn't recognize a single one!

There's a sideplot of the main character dating a new women that takes up a TON of screen time and of course has gratuitous nudity like the first episode of just about every Netflix show.  That was unfortunate and felt completely forced in, but everything else was pretty decent and interesting.  The interaction between the two leads is pretty good.

Not much of Fincher's directorial trademarks were on display here outside of the opening scene and main titles - and I suppose the use of contemporary (the show is set in 1977) music like Zodiac.  The main title sequence was a bit like Seven's except with mellow music instead of aggressive.  It's filmed in the 2:1 aspect ratio like he used for the House of Cards pilot he directed that Netflix has continued to use on a lot of their drama shows since.

Will certainly check out the whole season and should be done before Stranger Things comes back in 2 weeks.

Mindhunter 1x02 Episode 2

A cool new character is introduced this week in the form of Ed Kemper, a serial killer in jail that Holden starts to interview to gain insight into why he killed so many women, hoping it will help him understand the motivations of other murderers.   The actor does a really great job with this!  You have to wonder when he's going to start recording the interviews since he has trouble keeping up with the writing and the whole main title is set around setting up interview microphones.  Our main heroes getting their basement office to do their work on the side of their main FBI job reminded me of Mulder down in the basement

Curb Your Enthusiasm 9x03 A Disturbance In The Kitchen

LOL, pretty funny stuff, Elizabeth Banks made me laugh a lot.  

Also I forgot how funny Larry's goofy disguise has been, I hope it isn't gone for good

I've enjoyed him in other things and his first scene here, but they he kept reappearing and doing the exact same schtick

I just hope he doesn't change his act to being a prick the whole season. In the first seasons he usually was right in his observations and just handled the situations awkwardly. 

Nooooooo :(

On 16/10/2017 at 6:31 AM, publicist said:

I just hope he doesn't change his act to being a prick the whole season. In the first seasons he usually was right in his observations and just handled the situations awkwardly. 

True. It's a bit shouty at the moment and it feels a bit much. 

Decent enough episode this week, but more for the observational side of things than the delivery of actual laughs. The Salman Rushdie part was amusing. 

Yup. But it's more a look back into the late 60's when profiling was not all the rage so the two agents investigating (good chemistry!) have to fight a lot of shrugs and prejudice. In that respect it's more like 'Zodiac' than 'CSI'.

I caught up with the new Curb season yesterday.  Not bad.  Some prett-ay funny parts.  Noticed that Oscar-winning composer Justin Hurwitz had a co-writing credit on the pickle jar episode.

As revivals/comebacks go, I think it's surprisingly well done overall, and at just three episodes in. Certainly puts to bed the worry that this might have ended up being Arrested Development S3 all over again. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I don't like procedural detective shows, but maybe I'll recommend it. 

It's not for you, then. I, for the life of me, cannot watch fantasy or comic stuff (even when i tried, like 'Vikings', which i find extremely good but alas...). 

Vikings. Probably the show to remain on my list indefinitely, unwatched. Or at least until Game of Thrones is finished. Then maybe it'll fill that slot, or not. There's always so many distractions. Just need to get the S1 finale of The Strain out of the way so I can have a look at Star Trek. I've fallen asleep twice during the last episode, I piss myself off with this behaviour. 

I enjoy business-related travels solely for the transportation time reserved for watching lots of Netflix and Prime. It often feels awfully fast food (whatever artistic skills the camera and editing team employs, i am certain to miss them) but it kills the time.

19 minutes ago, Quintus said:

As revivals/comebacks go, I think it's surprisingly well done overall, and at just three episodes in. Certainly puts to bed the worry that this might have ended up being Arrested Development S3 all over again. 

You mean Season 4; Season 3 was part of the original run.

They need to fix their discovery algorithm badly when they have that much original content.

On the day of its release I had to manually search for a new Netflix film starring Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, and Dustin Hoffman (The Meyerowitz Stories) because it was literally nowhere to be found on the main browsing screen of the Apple TV app.  That's just dumb, Netflix.

Mostly I start somethimg on netflix but seldom finish as most films are not watchable.

Every nllow and then I find something I like. I thought Gerald's Game was terrific and in the scene that alledgedly making people faint i screamed out loud. It was definitely gruesome.

A lot of the stuff Netflix streams alongside real movies is boring unwatchable drivel filmed at someone's house. It's a massive flaw where you can be browsing actual entertaining movies and suddenly it's Sci Fi Channel originals.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Is Mindhunters another weekly reset crime show? 

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Yup. But it's more a look back into the late 60's when profiling was not all the rage so the two agents investigating (good chemistry!) have to fight a lot of shrugs and prejudice.

In that respect it's more like 'Zodiac' than 'CSI'.

This is right and wrong.  It's definitely NOT a weekly reset crime show, and its definitely NOT in the 60s - it's set in 1977!  The rest is right though.

Quint & Pub, you both might have missed this:

On 10/15/2017 at 2:30 PM, Jay said:

Mindhunter 1x01 Episode 1

New Netflix show about the FBI guys that figured how the importance of criminal profiling and getting into the criminal mind to figure out their motivations.

The pilot was directed by David Fincher, and it turns out he'll be directing 4 out of the 10 episodes.  The entire cast is completely unknown, I didn't recognize a single one!

There's a sideplot of the main character dating a new women that takes up a TON of screen time and of course has gratuitous nudity like the first episode of just about every Netflix show.  That was unfortunate and felt completely forced in, but everything else was pretty decent and interesting.  The interaction between the two leads is pretty good.

Not much of Fincher's directorial trademarks were on display here outside of the opening scene and main titles - and I suppose the use of contemporary (the show is set in 1977) music like Zodiac.  The main title sequence was a bit like Seven's except with mellow music instead of aggressive.  It's filmed in the 2:1 aspect ratio like he used for the House of Cards pilot he directed that Netflix has continued to use on a lot of their drama shows since.

Will certainly check out the whole season and should be done before Stranger Things comes back in 2 weeks.

Yeah, they watch 'Dog Day Afternoon' so it obviously was mid-70's...felt more like late 60's going by the dialogue (hippies, student protests etc.). I didn't see much nudity, tbh.

It's explicitly set in 1977, not general mid-70s.  Also the ADT Security creep that they dedicate every cold open to is clearly the BTK Killer.

And I meant her character as a whole, not just the gratuitous sex scene, felt forced in, but her presence as more justified as the season goes on.