Jay

What is the last Television series you watched?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I think I want something more sci-fi next

I can recommend The Expanse as solid pulp sci-fi mystery viewing. Not a masterpiece, but very entertaining. Also very dark though. I'm kinda tired of Dark.

Yea it's been on my shortlist for a while. With Mr Robot coming back last night and Mindhunters dropping tomorrow might be a bit till we get to something else

All shows are soaps. Some like Mad Men and Breakimg Bad are just more obvious.

Btw Will and Grace is already hitting its stride in just its 3rd episode.

I recently started Takahata's Anne of Green Gables. I actually like it a lot. It's kind of annoying trying to read the subtitles and pay attention visually though, cause Anne talks so freaking much. The animation is pretty good, and the show makes use of the fact that it's animated when Anne daydreams in non intrusive but unique ways. I'm excited to watch more.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

All shows are soaps. Some like Mad Men and Breakimg Bad are just more obvious.

Btw Will and Grace is already hitting its stride in just its 3rd episode.

You see people talking and you think it's a soap. You don't know what soap is, Joey. Look it up, will ya. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bold & beautiful

Wrong about Breaking Bad; it is a Shakespearean epic. Mad Men is absolutely a soap opera though, I'm watching it at the moment. The only slight distinction is MM is really about one character, Don Draper. But the standard soap opera tropes are otherwise all over it, and it's often casually implausible, like serialised soap operas are. No other soap has the style, visual flair and swagger of Mad Men, though. It's basically the ultimate refinement of the glossy soap opera. 

So only Steffy remains, the girl on the right. The guy on the left played Thomas, but he's been replaced by a new actor. The older woman with the bad facelift, Hunter Tylo left ages ago. And of course Ridge, played by Ronn Moss in that image, has been replaced by Thorsten Kaye.

You need to update the image!

I think the non-soap TV series with the strongest soap elements is probably Game Of Thrones. Check it out, Drax, you might like it more than you think. It's The Bold & Beautiful but with higher production values and vistas.

22c0103a00187b2e9f4613b5d4b383b9--game-o

You can even buy dragon eggs of soap.

36 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I think the non-soap TV series with the strongest soap elements is probably Game Of Thrones. Check it out, Drax, you might like it more than you think.

He tried. He didn't understand what was going on.

2 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I didn't like it.

Jealous that a fellow little person got such a prominent role?

Dinklage is proud of his height. So should you be.

Soap, dragons, chicks and vistas ... What's not to like, Drax? The only thing that bothers me sometimes in GOT is characters telling stories. However, for you, it might be the series' saving grace. 

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Soap, dragons, chicks and vistas ... What's not to like, Drax? The only thing that bothers me sometimes in GOT is characters telling stories. However, for you, it might be the series' saving grace. 

It's too popular, too widely liked, and too many people watch it. I don't want to conform to the crowd, and the show's boring.

2 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

It's too popular, too widely liked, and too many people watch it. I don't want to conform to the crowd, and the show's boring.

A few years ago you said you didnt really understand it. It was too complicated.

16 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Says the man who thinks Westworld is pure Golden Age TV gold. :sarcasm:

You can't even remember what you posted yesterday, let alone an obscure post I made years ago!

I can remember many things very well! Usually only trivial and unimportant stuff though.

Westworld is better than Game of Thrones.

I'm sure it is to the average viewer who prefers regular network TV. That person would feel right at home with Westword. Personally I think it's way beneath HBO. Really, Westworld feels like a CBS  or NBC show. 

46 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm sure it is to the average viewer who prefers regular network TV. That person would feel right at home with Westword. Personally I think it's way beneath HBO. Really, Westworld feels like a CBS  or NBC show. 

But...but... Hopkins and Harris? JJ and Nolan!

Just now, Stefancos said:

But...but... Hopkins and Harris? JJ and Nolan!

Well, a few people tried to warn me and said I could watch it for Hopkins. But even Hopkins is almost a caricature of himself. Personally the only character that I bought into was:

58458d7e65edfed50a8b4dc3-1920

Without Dolores the show would be LOST.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Westworld is a slow-burner but solid. It's not like anything on network TV.

A slow-burner is the last thing I would call it. I thought the first episode is the best. Then it gets worse with each new episode. The level of writing is very ordinary, on the par of miniseries of the past. As it is always with Nolan, everything is spelled out and and every point is is made painfully clear.

It's why Drax thinks it great!

Mindhunter 1x01 Episode 1

New Netflix show about the FBI guys that figured how the importance of criminal profiling and getting into the criminal mind to figure out their motivations.

The pilot was directed by David Fincher, and it turns out he'll be directing 4 out of the 10 episodes.  The entire cast is completely unknown, I didn't recognize a single one!

There's a sideplot of the main character dating a new women that takes up a TON of screen time and of course has gratuitous nudity like the first episode of just about every Netflix show.  That was unfortunate and felt completely forced in, but everything else was pretty decent and interesting.  The interaction between the two leads is pretty good.

Not much of Fincher's directorial trademarks were on display here outside of the opening scene and main titles - and I suppose the use of contemporary (the show is set in 1977) music like Zodiac.  The main title sequence was a bit like Seven's except with mellow music instead of aggressive.  It's filmed in the 2:1 aspect ratio like he used for the House of Cards pilot he directed that Netflix has continued to use on a lot of their drama shows since.

Will certainly check out the whole season and should be done before Stranger Things comes back in 2 weeks.