John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they have to somehow explain (SPOILER) why the snake must be killed, since it is a horcrux. I'm wondering how they will go about it now.

After mulling over the Potter scores for a few days, I feel the scoring situation for Deathly Hallows is win-win to me personally. Being a fan of Alexandre Desplat, I look forward to hearing what he can bring to the film and if he returns for Part II then I will also look forward to that. If John Williams returns for Part II, then so much the better because we get another Williams score. Overall I'm happy with either outcome since both are leagues better than Hooper returning (and it's nothing personal, I just don't think he was suited for the franchise to begin with - I think Desplat would have been the guy to go with for Phoenix and possibly Prince).

Both OoTP and HBP were overly bloated pieces of literature. At least OoTP had an actual point to it (which the movie version quite brilliantly distilled) while HBP was just a lot of pointless meandering.

I'd say OotP is a very good adaptation of an excellent book. HBP is a horrible adaptation of an excellent book.

OotP is an unsucessfully adaptation of a good book (it starts out well, but fails in the last third). HBP is a really good adaptation of a great book.

I quite like OotP. Actually I like it the most next to PoA, as far as movie adaptations are concerned. I hate HBP, though. It's a failure of a movie IMO.

HBP is a fine movie and a very good adaption. It's also beautifully filmed.

I'm amazed at how many people think HBP (the movie) sucked.

Yes, I've read the book, but it was the first Potter film (yes, including PoA, a movie I find overrated) that I felt truly satisfied with. In fact, where the book merely acted as a setup for the final one, the film managed to make some stuff happen.

I also think it was the best filmed of the series. Dark and desaturated yes, but events are getting serious and more adult.

I've heard arguments too that it's hard to follow if you haven't read the book. I'd actually consider PoA (and parts of GoF) far more guilty of assuming that the viewer knows some backstory.

I totally disagree. I don't see how the third film could possibly be harder to follow. A lot is missing, naturally, a bunch of it critical to the series...but as a movie, it is quite clear. The sixth film condensces more, and is far more dependant on previous entries.

I don't think the film is the best (my opinions on the matter are well known)...but I did like the film. It seemed to accept the fact that it was a companion piece to the book, not a literal adaptation. It had some terrific stuff in it. The characterization of Slughorn and the execution of the cave scene improved on the book quite impressivly. And I personally loved the presence of Draco Malfoy in the film. With very little screen time, the film showed a mirror image of Harry's quest, with Malfoy going about his own task. It contrasted nicely with Harry's procrastination.