'Filler' music, by John Williams

Quintus

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a lovely idea, Quint, but the fact still remains that I start getting just a little bit distracted if I try to sit through the entire middle of the score. There are no bad moments, but so much of the middle of the score is so similar that it starts to lose my interest.

I disagree about "Mary Searches the Closet", though...I'm not sure why that cue bothers you. I mean, I don't think it's fantastic or anything, but I think it fits.

It's just so obvious that we're supposed to feel nervous, that adding generic high string tension-filled music a) doesn't add anything to the scene and b) is an annoyance because its so obvious and thus distracting.

I get bored by parts of the score too, in fact I usually skip tracks wholesale when I listen to it.

In my posts above I'm referring to the music as score (as I usually do), meaning its function as music within the movie, and in that regard the score is nigh on perfect.

There's something brilliant about the Well of Souls music. It's some of JW's best suspense writing. Jaws and E.T. are perfection. There's a not a second of filler music.

Filler or not, this kind of music, Williams or not, always dies a fast death when i select cues for iTunes. There is just no reason for me to listen to rumbling suspense cues which don't even have a throughline.

Add that "crawling insects" track from TEMPLE OF DOOM.

It's the juxtaposition of the big, romantic music vs. the tender 'little' story which thrusts E.T. into the upper echelons of potent movie scorcery, particulary during the closing seconds. See, Williams is telling us that it isn't really a little story all; but actually a huge, historic moment for Mankind. It's genius.

It's not a juxtaposition. It's a super magnification.

@indy4

I can't remember for sure, but isn't that music you linked part of a longer cue which scored the entire scene, meaning that the strings weren't just "added" as if out of the blue; but rather that they make musical sense, within the context of the scene?

It's not a juxtaposition. It's a super magnification.

Same thing, just another way of putting it.

Add that "crawling insects" track from TEMPLE OF DOOM.

Actually, I like that cue. Parts of it, at least.

As for "Mary Searches the Closet", most of it can be heard in that YouTube video - it starts with uneasy low-register rumblings, and then the violins come in, and then it ends on a happier chord.

How about "The Indianapolis Story" from Jaws? Filler? I'll admit, I sometimes hit the skip button on that one. ;)

I can't believe no one jumped on this before now. Are you kidding. . . ? That's one of the most brilliant pieces in the score. That, along with "Father and Son," demonstrate Williams' enormous gifts for subtlety, subtext, and deep emotional underpinnings in a scene. In a thousand years, that piece could never qualify as "filler."

- Uni

You may be right. Perhaps filler is a bad way to describe the piece, as it works well in the film. Still, it doesn't thrill me as a standalone piece. "Father and Son" I appreciate much more.

I used to always skip the Abduction of Barry...perhaps I considered it "filler" music. Regardless, I've loved it for some time now. I guess CE3K really grew on me. I still don't like sitting through the first three minutes of Eye to Eye. I've always loved the Indianapolis Story. The E.T. closet music is not a highlight of the score, but it's like 30 seconds long! I still want it officially released with the rest of the score.

By the way, I was listening to my expanded ROTLA DCC/Concord hybrid playlist and remembered how awesome it is that we have Bad Dates. I especially love the ending when you see the dig site. For some reason I always thought that ending was a weird edit/insert from watching the movie. Even the "boring" parts of JW's 70s and 80s scores are better than a lot of his more exciting cues from modern scores. It needs to be said.

I'll repeat myself. Nothing in Jaws, E.T., ROTLA, SW, CE3K or even Hook feels like "filler" music. Yet I listen to modern scores like Nixon, Stepmom, TLW, Geisha, etc. and skip a significant portion of the CDs. KOTCS is a pretty bad offender. I can't make it through the cave and temple scenes.

These kind of topics are somewhat exclusive to film music fans and they shows all the idiosincracies of our listening habits.

First of all, we must keep in mind the composer doesn't write the music with the purpose of being heard separately from the images. So in many cases the composer writes what we call "filler music" (or "wallpaper" or "underscore", whatever you want) with the specific purpose of accompanying the scene with a certain kind of style which has to be first and foremost serviceable to the scene's needs. That's why when they produce the OST album, they generally try to re-think and rebuild the musical experience (and that's also why many of them doesn't like complete scores to be released on album).

As for John Williams, I too noticed his underscore style nowadays tends to be more "homogeneous" than in the past (even though never falls into the category of flat, long-sustained chords/pads, he's always very musical). He probably now likes to be more restrained and doesn't want to overscore the film. Yes, this kind of scoring tends to be the less interesting to be heard on disc, but that's the nature of his job.

What I like in Williams' music, even the "boring underscore" parts, is that it's composed and crafted with such a distinct voice and always with a musical sense in mind.

I'd say Williams has more 'filler' than some composers I listen to, quite simply because he can't excel in every imaginable style.

Tom Newman beats the crap out of anyone trying to do low key, atmospheric music IMO, David Arnold can write a mean action cue, and I rarely consider much of the work they do to be filler, but then they tend to keep within their comfort zones (especially Newman who I can't imagine ever being hired for many scores Williams has done) and know their stuff in those zones.

I've used Revolutionary Road as an example before. I think a Williams score to that film would bore me, but Newman IMO is a natural at sustained periods of not much going on, and making it interesting. Williams is not.

All I know is that before 1993-95 I could listen to a Williams score all the way through without hitting the "skip" button.

All I know is that before 1993-95 I could listen to a Williams score all the way through without hitting the "skip" button.

I find lots of filler in his blockbuster scores like RAIDERS or SUPERMAN (or let's say music i wouldn't waste my time with). And as i said, PRESUMED INNOCENT isn't hot on the exciting-meter, either.

Well I certainly think that 'atmospheric music' is one of Williams' most interesting and best qualities without doubt.

Like I've already said, I believe 'filler' just comes down to the ears that are listening to it and ones own internal hardware and its ability to understand and process any given piece of material, I honestly believe there are too many theme chasers who need to be presented with the obvious for it not to come off as 'filler'.

On another note, it's good to see you return from the suspension zone Quint and still be able to create a thread of such differing opinions.

Well, when he's good, he's really good, but otherwise his atmospheric music can be a bit...bland.

That's fair enough man, I just consider myself lucky enough to always find something of worth and interest.

For me his atmospheric music is as good as it gets and I don't hear anything as sonically rich or interesting from any other composer.

Cheers steb74, nice of you to say so. Have to say though, the month flew by.

Ha ha, I don't believe man ...I bet you were chalking off your calendar, porridge style :mellow:

Minimalists for example. Or Bernard Herrmann.

Interesting you point out this, because from the mid-90s on (since Nixon, I would say), Williams veered more toward a minimalist-influeced style, especially in his underscore. However he seems to be oriented more toward a Herrmann-like kind of minimalism than, say, a Philip Glass/Terry Riley one.

I was about three days away from screen grabbing Force 10 from Navarone for my avatar. Nice to have you back to fill out the Robert Shaw niche at the message board.

Interesting you point out this, because from the mid-90s on (since Nixon, I would say), Williams veered more toward a minimalist-influeced style, especially in his underscore.

Everyone did it. Think of Horner since SNEAKERS or Zimmer in his THIN RED LINE/BATMAN-mode. I guess it became én vogue in the early 90s and has more or less stayed since. Obviously, Williams developed his own reading and even in KOTCS you'll find lots of minimalist techniques which never would have appeared in a 80's INDY-film.

Obviously, Williams developed his own reading and even in KOTCS you'll find lots of minimalist techniques which never would have appeared in a 80's INDY-film.

Would you be able or willing to point out examples?

A sincere question by the way.

Obviously, Williams developed his own reading and even in KOTCS you'll find lots of minimalist techniques which never would have appeared in a 80's INDY-film.

Would you be able or willing to point out examples?

A sincere question by the way.

From what i remember, the TEMPLE RUINS and DEPARTURE tracks are rather obvious examples, but i'm not a big fan of the score, so i don't have more specific cue titles or (god beware) filmic reference points.

From what i remember, the TEMPLE RUINS and DEPARTURE tracks are rather obvious examples, but i'm not a big fan of the score, so i don't have more specific cue titles or (god beware) filmic reference points.

Thanks for the examples, I guess I'm really more interested in what type of minimalist techniques are employed to see if they can be traced back to earlier usage, etc, in the Indiana Jones series.

You were gone?

I guess you missed this:

Guys: Quint has informed me that he's received a month long ban for criticising the censoring rule and wants everyone else to be careful because this thread is already dangerously close to the tipping point again.