Red Letter Media Reviews (Plinkett & Half in the Bag)

Henry B

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'm not keen on War Horse but I absolutely loved Tintin at the cinema, far preferring it to Indiana Jones 4. Tintin only really put one serious foot wrong for me (the action bloated final act). 

Tintin was Spielberg having fun with a medium that lets him do things that he probably could not do normally.

34 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Because Spielberg didn't make The Book Thief, and because Williams didn't score Bridge Of Spies.

That.

Well, that and War Horse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies etc. are just soulless overproduced Oscar bait films. Whenever these flicks come out, idiotic people declare them classics and among Spielberg's best films and I just fuckin' laugh at 'em.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

I absolutely loved Tintin at the cinema, far preferring it to Indiana Jones 4.

That was pretty much everyone, wasn't it?

2 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Well, that and War Horse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies etc. are just soulless overproduced Oscar bait films. Whenever these flicks come out, idiotic people declare them classics and among Spielberg's best films and I just fuckin' laugh at 'em.

That's a bit of an overstatement.  Lincoln was a good movie, and from what I've ready Bridge of Spies is at least competent, and War Horse was not only not soulless, it was very saccharine.  Spielberg is a victim of his own artistic interests and always has been and I don't believe he's making these films to garner endless awards.  He hits the mark more often than not.

I think "boring Oscar bait" is kind of a lazy criticism for Lincoln which I still think is a really sharp movie. Old school in all the right ways and one of the best screenplays and ensembles he's gotten his hands on IMO, especially since Schindler's List

War Horse is pretty trite and a lot of it is just fucking stupid, but it had some clever visual stuff going on now and again. I loved the No Man's Land run and the sunset finale, great moments in a not very good film.

I liked Bridge of Spies fine but it's pretty forgettable and the very last "Homecoming" sequence made the wrong impression with me. Poor ending after that excellent bridge scene.

War Horse was just embarrassing to watch.

Tintin was boring and ultimately a fucking cartoon that didn't have any impact on this guy. It's no wonder the sequels aren't happening.

Lincoln? Zzzzzz...

Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T., Raiders. Those are great films and what the guy will be remembered for.

Dammit, give me the Tintin sequels already!!!

The first was the most adventurous fun film I had seen in years. Visually inventive too.

Also quite silly at times, but better to do silly in something that is already a cartoon (ship being lifted out of the water during a sea battle??? And refueling the plane!) than in a live action film (nuke+fridge<brilliant. Not to mention gophers, groins and Tarzan. Also aliens).

So how about Spielberg and Jackson stop wasting time doing unimportant stuff and MAKE GOOD ON THEIR PROMISES ALREADY!

Sorry.... got carried away there a bit.

It was all downhill after Catch Me If You Can, which was the last film he seemed to have any kind of emotional investment in.

Munich was kind of interesting, but it certainly wasn't for me and made me want to jump off a bridge after watching it. It's just all been manufactured soulless boring Oscar bait and terrible "lowbrow" action/adventure flicks that don't even seem to have been made by the same dude who made the Indiana Jones trilogy.

Spielberg still has it. He doesn't knock it out of the park every time but he stills knows how to craft fine cinema. I wouldn't call War Horse a great movie for example but there are interesting moments in it. To insinuate he's only concerned with cashing checks at this point is, of course, ridiculous. 

It disturbs me that the Spielberg of today doesn't like Temple of Doom, wishes he'd ended Close Encounters differently, removed the guns from E.T., made a film like Crystal Skull and is so insanely liberal. Oh, wait. I'm not supposed to go there. Uh, back to the topic at hand!

Malcolm McDonald plays a villain named...Ssauron.

25 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

It disturbs me that the Spielberg of today doesn't like Temple of Doom, wishes he'd ended Close Encounters differently, removed the guns from E.T., made a film like Crystal Skull and is so insanely liberal. Oh, wait. I'm not supposed to go there. Uh, back to the topic at hand!

Malcolm McDonald plays a villain named...Ssauron.

Hey at least he put the guns back in!

1 hour ago, Drax said:

And restored the real animatronic ET and purged that CGI imposter.

But he has such expressive CG eyes!

4 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I agree with some of those points, but still, I mostly see films in his filmography that come very obviously from a rich white dude point of view. I don't know if that ties into the whole Spielberg-not-taking-risks situations.

The Close Encounters thing... how the hell does he want to end that now? Throwing the whole film right before under the bus?

3 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I mostly see films in his filmography that come very obviously from a rich white dude point of view.

If so, is there anything actually wrong with that? Spielberg is white and rich afterall. 

Hasnt it always been that way? I mean The Sugarland Express, The Color Purple, Always etc.

For every Jaws or Temple Of Doom we have an Amistad. And I certainly don't see what people find boring about the subject matter of Bridge Of Spies.

Isnt Ready Player One supposed to be an interesting choice for Spielberg?

If anything Spielberg's choices of projects are more diverse and varied then those of a lot of other "big name" directors. He was never afraid to try different styles, different genres. I don't see Nolan or Cameron do a sentimental feel good comedy like The Terminal, or a War Horse.

It would be really, really nice to see him delve into sci-fi more regularly. Although it could end up like Scott revisiting the genre with Prometheus...

But CET3K, ET, AI... Those are seminal classics as far as Spielberg's career goes. Disappointing that he wastes his energy on (admittedly entertaining) fluff like The Terminal. His skill as a filmmaker really deserves more challenging material.