Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

Well, I was bored with the third episode of Sherlock too. As I expected, the series is not for me. The first episode had the benefit of introducing the characters but now it's all about cracking the case and solving the mystery. I won't be getting season 2. I'll probably buy season 2 of Boardwalk Empire instead.

Alex

I already said why I didn't like it. Other things that bothered me were "How did you ... know?" (each time Sherlock guessed it right) , how the victims with bombs (more precisely, the close-ups of the despaired faces) and the fight with the giant were handled/directed.

But it's only logical that there's going to be cases and mystery in a Sherlock Holmes story. I don't see how that's a reason to dislike it.

I liked it because of the character interaction and the fun twists and turns. The episodes four and six took that to a new level.

But it's only logical that there's going to be cases and mystery in a Sherlock Holmes story.

True, that's why it's not for me. Would've loved it many, many years ago, when I was more into shit like that.

Interesting. Personally, I've had difficulties getting into that stuff so I was amazed that this one made me get so much into it.

I was thinking on going tomorrow to the library to get I, Claudius but I thought I could read the book first. So I might finish Rome, historical inconsistencies and all.

Boardwalk Empire season two was terrific, I liked it even more than season one... they took all the characters in new directions and it all worked!

Sherlock season two is also better than season one. More character development and less mystery of the week stuff.

• 4 months later...

BBC Sherlock's Writer Speaks About Season 3

Mark Gatiss, one of the BBC Sherlock creators alongside Steven Moffat, just gave us some tidbits about the much waited series three.

While disappointing fans by saying there will be no more villains from the original books, he added new ones will confront the detective during his upcoming adventures.
Gatiss also told us that modern Sherlock won't use disguises like Conan Doyle's creation did, but will know how to make himself invisible before revealing his presence to his friend Watson.
We have already no nails to bite in anticipation. We'll keep you informed!
But when are they going to start filming and when is it going to air!

As I understand it they will film it after Cumberbatch is done with his wikileaks-film, and it should air late this year. I believe 2013 is the plan.

Well I posted this on Page 7:

In an interview otherwise about The Hobbit, Martin Freeman let drop that Sherlock season 3 won't begin filming until January, and will shoot until April

http://collider.com/peter-jackson-martin-freeman-the-hobbit-interview/180675/

So I'd expect it will be airing in probably September of '13.

Who knows if its still the case

I remember Moffat mentioning that they would start shooting a few months later, due to Cumberbatch's schedule, but that it wouldn't change the planned (but not released) airing date. :)

You're right!

'Sherlock' producer confirms delay: 'Air dates won't be affected'

Sherlock producer Sue Vertue has confirmed reports of a delay to production.

It was claimed yesterday (November 26) that filming on the BBC detective drama's third series had been pushed back from January to March, to accommodate the busy schedules of stars Benedict Cumberbatch (Star Trek into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit).

"To stop further speculation, Sherlock filming has pushed to March for availability reasons," Vertue confirmed on Twitter.

However, she added: "It's not expected to affect any likely TX [transmission] dates."

The third series of Sherlock was originally anticipated to air in late 2013 - series co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss have also revealed three teaser words for the new trilogy of episodes - 'Rat', 'Wedding' and 'Bow'.

Gatiss previously told Digital Spy that he planned to write the Sherlock series three premiere, which will be loosely based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Adventure of the Empty House.

"It'll be a version of it, because that's the one in which [sherlock] returns," he explained. "How much or how little [we change], I don't know yet.

"As before, we cherry pick and we choose bits and pieces of other [stories] that we like. They're always less literal adaptations."

http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/s129/sherlock/news/a434725/sherlock-moriarty-actor-andrew-scott-rules-out-return.html

Well, if they start filming in April and are done by July or so, they will probably air in the UK in October or November, maybe December

• 1 month later...

So, season 3 will soon start filming.

But somehow it’s all finally coming together (Amen!) and initial read-throughs will start next Monday. This is a few months after its original shooting date, but better late than never.

Source.

But there's more:

“We’ve agreed to two more series but I could get into trouble for saying that. All I know at the moment is I’m doing these three [episodes of the upcoming series] and another three.”

- Benedict Cumberbatch

Source!

Terrfic news on both counts!!

Reading both articles fully, it appears filming begins Monday, March 18th, and they will only be filming the first 2 episodes of the 3-episode third season before they break to go back to flilming The Hobbit. After The Hobbit finishes, they'll film the 3rd episode. So, I'd guess these won't be premiering until probably January 2014.

More news! The first episode will be based on "The Adventure of the Empty House"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9243417/Sherlock-series-three-new-details-revealed.html

I do prefer this to the American style of doing a TV show. The production factory churning out 22 shows a year for at least 7 series regardless of the decline in quality.

I can't get myself to see overly long shows nowadays.

More news! The first episode will be based on "The Adventure of the Empty House"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9243417/Sherlock-series-three-new-details-revealed.html

well. that is not a surprise....

True. It was rather obvious that The Adventure of the Empty House would continue the story in one form or the other.

I am waiting this with great anticipation. It is one modern reimagining of a classic character that I actually like.

Well the modern Guy Richie Sherlock Holmes films first come to mind. Despite being supposedly set in the correct time period the way they are presented is completely anachronistic and just drains out all the spirit Conan Doyle stories from those films.

I have yet to see the new American Sherlock Holmes show though. Has anyone seen it?

Elementary is ok. Its not something I purposely watch, but I've watched a few episodes here and there and its been alright. Holmes is a recovering drug abuser and Watson is hired to make sure he doesn't revert to his old ways. From what I've seen, there's little to no sexual tension between the two which has been nice. It doesn't compare to Sherlock at all of course, but of the few stories I've seen I haven't been turned off.

They began filming this morning!

577108_556111744409248_861483020_n.jpg

Exclusive: Episode 1 of Sherlock III will be called 'The Empty Hearse'.
The game is on!

I do prefer this to the American style of doing a TV show. The production factory churning out 22 shows a year for at least 7 series regardless of the decline in quality.

I'll take Stateside productions over British ones every time, although 10-16 episodes per season is my sweet spot. The quality of American serials is currently unparalleled and with the way they manage to remain astonishingly consistent at what they do I don't see that changing any time soon. I literally don't watch any British equivalents, preferring to stick instead with our comedy/panel shows and documentaries/natural history.

Yes, their 5% is equal to our 0.5%. America churn out a monumental amount of shite, and that's unparalleled, too, but the sheer quantity of their superior productions can't be matched elsewhere. It's the most healthy ratio out there, easily.

The fact that they plough a LOT more cash into the content than anyone else can afford to obviously plays a major part in their successes.

• 4 weeks later...

I should re-read the book. It has been a while. I can't wait for the 3rd season. :)

Update from Sherlock's official Facebook page:

Principal photography on Sherlock: The Empty Hearse has now wrapped and the read-through for for episode 2, The Sign of Three, was held yesterday.

Episode 2 will be written by Stephen Thompson (Sherlock, Doctor Who) and directed by Colm McCarthy (Ripper Street). Production begins later this month.
11497_567622019924887_284084653_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Sherlock.BBCW/posts/340258322762886

That's just a rumour - officially, no dates have been announced:

http://www.hypable.com/2013/04/17/sherlock-series-3-premiere-air-release-date-rumor/

But yea, it's obviously airing this fall sometime, or early Winter at the latest.