BloodBoal

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard The Village, but the track in that video is nothing to write home about, IMO. As for Lady in the Water, the main theme (I think) made me facepalm when I saw the film. (It's heard near the end of that track.) Frickin' Zimmer has done more interesting things with that tired chord progression. That was the strongest impression the music made on me.

Of the JNH scores I've heard, I prefer Dinosaur, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and King Kong.

Difficult choice. Signs is better than both of them.

Datameister, I think the simplicity of that theme is intentional. It should evoke a sense of floating and stuff like that.

Karol - who picked LITW (because he listens to it more often)

This is a tough one. I mean really tough. The autumnal delicate lyricism and primal scares of The Village or the story book choral beauty and glittering heartfelt underscore and bursts of darkness of Lady in the Water.

I will have to, after enormous struggle choose The Village. It wins by a hair, half a hair, one quarter of a hair.

Signs is excellent but perhaps too single minded a listening experience. That 3 note loop goes through impressive array of variations but tugs less your heart strings than these two along the way. Intelligent score, magnificent finale but less emotional in my opinion.

Datameister, I think the simplicity of that theme is intentional. It should evoke a sense of floating and stuff like that.

There's brilliant simple, and then there's lazy simple...this has always felt more like lazy simple to me. It's just a standard progression of five block chords, without even so much as a real melody.

There's brilliant simple, and then there's lazy simple...this has always felt more like lazy simple to me. It's just a standard progression of five block chords, without even so much as a real melody.

I just love when you talk technical. :P

I wish I could too. Even if just to mock Zimmer and his cohorts.

Lady in the Water uses minimalism a lot in the underscore and conjures ideas of water and flow of water, constant motion. The music has fairy tale charm that the film completely lacks. JNH captures something Shyamalan could never capture with his images. I tend to disassociate the music from the film in this case altogether since it tells its own story better without it. Lot of beautiful lyrical cues full of child-like whimsy and wonder, crystalline twinkling orchestrations and choral passages. I would rank it in par with Atlantis although the animated film has greater heights that compete easily with Great Eatlon in sheer size and epic (yes here appropriate word) nature.

I like how the different musical ideas (the "Lady" and the "Blue World") finally assemble the main theme ("Lady in the Water") at the end. One of the most gorgeous scores of the last decade.

The Village is a beautiful score, though.

The music has fairy tale charm that the film completely lacks. JNH captures something Shyamalan could never capture with his images.

Shyamalan edites his films without music and then uses JNH the same way Spielberg uses JW. I'd say the film has a fary tale charm because of the music.

To be perfectly honest, I never really liked any of those, nor any of his Shyamalan efforts. Another case where I go "against the majority", I guess.

I like the film. I really do.

Karol

I also like the film but I prefer The Village (even though they have little in common other than Shyamalan's typical style, which is quite cool).

To be perfectly honest, I never really liked any of those, nor any of his Shyamalan efforts. Another case where I go "against the majority", I guess.

Normally, you pretty much go with the majority, considering your opportunistic lobbying for the commercial trends du jour in cinema.

I prefer The Village. Wonderful themes and a nice autumnal feel.

Also because the footwarmers give two different experiences - LitW plays better for me as an album experience. The extra music gets repetitive for me (before it emerged, there was a single unreleased cue I wanted). Plus as has been said, the blue world theme isn't quite up there as a great theme.

The Village footwarmer on the other hand, gives the score much more room to develop and corrects some mistakes I feel the OST has - no main/end titles, out of film order, love theme only appears once.

I dunno, I'd have to listen to these again, I'm at a point where it maybe time for another purge from my soundtrack collection and these two are probably candidates to go bye bye.

I'd probably say The Village right now.

Normally, you pretty much go with the majority, considering your opportunistic lobbying for the commercial trends du jour in cinema.

True. Minority in terms of within our niche, then.

Btw, my favourite JNH has become SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS, whereas it used to be WATERWORLD. Don't get me wrong, I still love the latter dearly, but I've veered more and more away from the big, bustling, symphonic action-adventure scores lately.

Also because the footwarmers give two different experiences - LitW plays better for me as an album experience. The extra music gets repetitive for me (before it emerged, there was a single unreleased cue I wanted). Plus as has been said, the blue world theme isn't quite up there as a great theme.

The Village footwarmer on the other hand, gives the score much more room to develop and corrects some mistakes I feel the OST has - no main/end titles, out of film order, love theme only appears once.

I agree. The complete score of The Village has much more to offer than the original album. Lady In The Water complete score mainly repeats material already available on the original soundtrack, and it is one of the rare case where I find the OST to be sufficient.

I almost agree but some material in the complete score complements the listening experience for me at least. The Scrunt music, the first rendition of the suspence music in the cue Crosswords later developed in the Party etc. It draws nice connections to other things and strenghtens the structure of the story telling for me. I whole heartedly agree that the new material truly makes The Village better with more variety and depth.

There are other themes in that score too. ;)

But that was the only one I noticed while watching the film, and not in a good way. :P

What if I give you The Gravel Road ? Still no love for The Village ? Another epic facepalm ?

No facepalmage...it just isn't my cup of tea.

I think people are too ready to praise Signs and Lady in the Water because of their epic conclusions. Those are more compelling than anything in The Village. However, the underscore leading to those conclusions in Signs and Lady in the Water is only ever briefly interesting, and I can never bring myself to do a full listen through. With The Village, it's easy. Sure, there's nothing as impressive as "The Hand of Fate" or "The Great Eatlon", but it's a score that keeps interesting and creative the whole way through, making it a much preferable listening experience.

My vote is to The Village.

"The Gravel Road" is utter brilliance.

This is truth. "Those We Shall Not Speak Of" is also brilliant. The horror writing that leads into the romantic violin solo :music:

"The Gravel Road" is utter brilliance.

This is truth. "Those We Shall Not Speak Of" is also brilliant. The horror writing that leads into the romantic violin solo :music:

It is one of the most beautiful tracks in the score that really speaks of the subtext of the film transforming this terrifying scene into something else. Instead of horror we have this almost exsultant love theme surging forth from the violin and orchestra that tells what is happening in truth. Not only it is brilliant movie scoring it is great music as well.

Lady in the Water by a long shot!

Haven't heard The Village, but the track in that video is nothing to write home about, IMO. As for Lady in the Water, the main theme (I think) made me facepalm when I saw the film. (It's heard near the end of that track.) Frickin' Zimmer has done more interesting things with that tired chord progression. That was the strongest impression the music made on me.

Of the JNH scores I've heard, I prefer Dinosaur, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and King Kong.

Haha Data, I love that you're such a music snob. :P

I like the film. I really do.

I do, too.

The Village is a lovely score. Bit too repetitive perhaps, I rarely listen to it. LITW is my favourite JNH score along with King Kong.

(From what I remember from seeing the movie long ago, Snow Falling on Cedars, as mentioned above, is also wonderful. Sadly it seems to be hard to find)

I think people are too ready to praise Signs and Lady in the Water because of their epic conclusions. Those are more compelling than anything in The Village. However, the underscore leading to those conclusions in Signs and Lady in the Water is only ever briefly interesting, and I can never bring myself to do a full listen through.

No, no, no!

:)

I love Signs to bits. The sound is so perfectly suited to the film, and I love the combination of flowing orchestration (like 1:00 onwards in Boarding up the House... does that rock or what?) with the lower key minimalism scoring the more thoughtful moments.

However, I acknowledge that Lady in the Water has some issues. I think the OST provides a better listening experience than the full score (well, maybe adding 3 or 4 additional cues).

Haha Data, I love that you're such a music snob. :P

Nah, I just know what I like. :P I must admit, though, that this is one case in which awareness of music theory and whatnot probably hurt my enjoyment of the score. Maybe I wouldn't have been as annoyed with that theme if my brain hadn't immediately jumped to all the other countless ways that chord progression has been used, often with a real melody. And just generally speaking, I find that only some of JNH's work appeals to me. There's considerable stylistic variety in his oeuvre, and some of those styles are not as interesting to me.

Sometimes I wonder where you people search for this apparently "hard to find" stuff.

$20 brand new, $6 used. Take your pick.

Probably with complicated shipping procedures and cost... Amazon Marketplace is usually too much hassle for my taste even on their Austrian site.

Nah, I just know what I like. :P I must admit, though, that this is one case in which awareness of music theory and whatnot probably hurt my enjoyment of the score. Maybe I wouldn't have been as annoyed with that theme if my brain hadn't immediately jumped to all the other countless ways that chord progression has been used, often with a real melody. And just generally speaking, I find that only some of JNH's work appeals to me. There's considerable stylistic variety in his oeuvre, and some of those styles are not as interesting to me.

I think you're a dickhead for posting this.

And I think you're a massive cunt for that.

I have no problem at all going through the whole Lady in the Water, it's too hypnotizying for me. I even miss not having the suite I keep reading about at the end. It feels like it needs the typical End Credit's suite I'm used to after the lovely final rendition of Cleveland's theme.

That's a new catchphrase of this forum, I guess. I think it's the third time in the last couple of days. ;)

But JNH's best is Signs.

That's his best score. Full stop.

Karol

And I think you're a massive cunt for that.

You see, there's something wrong here. If I was a massive cunt, and Data was a dickhead, then somehow, we should get along. Yet, we don't. That's where there is a problem in your argument.

You're a lesbian cunt. You see, you know it makes sense!

Sometimes I wonder where you people search for this apparently "hard to find" stuff.

$20 brand new, $6 used. Take your pick.

Probably with complicated shipping procedures and cost... Amazon Marketplace is usually too much hassle for my taste even on their Austrian site.

$3 shipping? Or does it say more for you?

That's a new catchphrase of this forum, I guess. I think it's the third time in the last couple of days. ;)

Karol

:thumbup:

All Rights Reserved © Koray Savas, of course.

"Uncool bro. mellow.gif" and "I think you're a dickhead for posting this." have been engrained in JWFan history as long as "Idiot!"

LOL @ people thinking "I think you're a dickhead for posting this" is new. It was first said by AI to Neil:

http://www.jwfan.com...?showtopic=5602

Then Hlao-Roo made it an instant classic

http://www.jwfan.com...?showtopic=5613

http://www.jwfan.com...?showtopic=5749

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5994

etc