What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Fatal attraction. Great film. It's been a long time since I've sat on the edge of my chair for such a long time. The only scene I didn't like was the one where Alex is calling Michael Douglas naes on that tape, it sort of deflated her character. Score was very effective too.

2 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I'll be in Bruges next Wednesday and Thursday.

Where are they giving away free beer now?

Can't remember the exact name, but it's at the side across from the belfry. Not sure why exactly, but my assumption was that they had a lot of this particular beer overstocked and wanted to get rid of it :P

They were serving the same beer to everyone. 

Jane Eyre (1970).

Confound it! Why did the Lord not tell me this would be a waste of my valuable time? Jane! Jane!!! JANE!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so I watched this one only because I wanted to hear John Williams' score in context, but more about that later. The film sounded absolutely terrible. Really terrible. Maybe it was my copy, but the first James Bond film sounded ten times better. The film was apparently so succesful too that I didn't manage to find Dutch or English subtitles on any website, but luckily the dialogue was understandable. However, there was, something strange, going on, during Jane's, childhood. Everyone, spoke, in a really, weird, way. And the girl, who played, Helen, was a terrible, actress. Then, Thornfield. The guy who played Rochester had a really weird accent, but did sing very well. Susannah York had an unattractive voice. Talking about accents, this story is supposed to take place in the north of England, so why exactly does only one child at the end of the film have a Northern accent? As the story progressed, the acting deteriorated. Dramatically. The absolute highlight was: 'You are rejecting God! - No, I am FINDING him!' near the end. York sounded as if she was mocking the entire thing at that point, or maybe she just couldn't keep a straight face for whatever reason.

Now, the score. I already said that it was the main reason why I watched this. I had only heard the Jane Eyre suite in the past and was really awestruck by it. Williams has this special ability to impress me with his majesty, but he used a few chord progressions I didn't really agree with. Why was that amazing 'To Thornfield' movement not used in the film? I was expecting it to play over a sequence where JANE!!! was thundering forth on her way to, or from, Thornfield. Loved its theme, though. The music that plays when she arrives at the house of that mad priest is absolutely stunning. I also liked how Jane played her own love theme on the piano and was looking forward to buying the soundtrack from La-La Land Records, but that one, too, appears to be unavailable. Why is everything I want from them out of print or out of stock? Oh, right, I rejected God. Could I still make amends by travelling to India and working in hospitals, or would a simple prayer suffice?

Magic - Seventies psychological horror adapted by William Goldman from his novel, directed by Richard Attenborough and starring Anthony Hopkins. Hopkins plays Corky, a wannabe magician who only begins to taste success when he introduces ventriloquisim into his act in the form of foul-mouthed dummy 'Fats'. As the film progresses Corky grows increasingly unhinged ... he imagines that 'Fats' is telling him what to do, which means things turn sinister and murderous.

Great performance from Burgess Meredith as Corky's agent. Nicely uneasy Goldsmith score, too.   

Annie Hall

Dunno what Alvy saw in that ditz. I guess he had more going with her than say Carol Kane or Olive Oil.

Brazil

This was awesome. But no longer a satire, it works more like a documentary on dysfunctional bureaucrazy which is everywhere today.

It was probably bad enough in the 80s, but today it's even worse.

And now the Australian government's new pledge to test sewerage for drug content from low socioeconomic areas to push its proposed cashless welfare card overshadows any fictionalised absurdity presented in either Brazil or any other dystopian nightmare film.

In my ideal world, there's a job available for everyone, particularly in the private sector.

But that just isn't the case, especially right now when many able-bodied people are being forced onto welfare due to new automation strategies that the government likes to dub as "innovation". This makes the job market more competitive than is sustainable. Consequently a lot of people who would never have been on welfare in the first place are becoming recipients, and are now automatically suspected of drug use. How rude! That said, tough restrictions, surveillance and even cuts to benefits will only encourage house robberies, and that is something I don't want.

On the other hand, it might lead to a boom in the home security market.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Jane Eyre (1970).

I recorded it.

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Magic

Only saw it once when I was 14 or 15 but I remember liking it. The doll scared me.

MV5BMGQ3NGQ5YmMtNjJlOC00ZjQwLTk0MzQtZTI2

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Magic - Seventies psychological horror adapted by William Goldman from his novel, directed by Richard Attenborough and starring Anthony Hopkins. Hopkins plays Corky, a wannabe magician who only begins to taste success when he introduces ventriloquisim into his act in the form of foul-mouthed dummy 'Fats'. As the film progresses Corky grows increasingly unhinged ... he imagines that 'Fats' is telling him what to do, which means things turn sinister and murderous.

Great performance from Burgess Meredith as Corky's agent. Nicely uneasy Goldsmith score, too.   

Nice, Sweep.

Forget Lecter; along with Stevens, this is Hopkins' equal finest performance.

Mickey from ROCKY was good, and...Ann-Margret...whooooaaaarrrrrr! :)

She was great...as always :)

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The wifey of Hopkins, Drax.

Actually, she was Ed Lauter's wife.

I like the use of harmonica to signify both Corky, and the unhinging of Hopkins.

Enemy at the Gates. This has a pretty low RT film but I thought it was an enjoyable film of unspectacular. Love story was forced but the sniper tension was excellent.

ah Horner. ❤️. Danger motif everywhere and a good chunk of Braveheart for good measure.