What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, xWxzek said:

Bikers wearing headphones are suicidal. I help them with a healthy blast from my car horn. 

OMG yes. Knowing New York drivers, I would not trust my life to them. I could never be on the road with headphones on. Maybe to take a call but not for music.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

You gave it way too many stars. Its immense in it forgetable-ness.

I’m was thinking giving it just a ***. There’s too much good craft, and Nolan trademark seriousness (which I love) for me to score it less.

I like liking movies, and I’m trying my hardest not to be too harsh with most films.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its no different than you having the radio on loud in the car!

This comparison comes across as so much ignorance it's not even funny. 

When I'm in a car, I'm never worried about bigger cars pushing me off the road. I check my mirrors and always have an envelope of sound between the music and outside. Motorcycles and bicycles are smaller than me, and it's going to hurt them more so I'm less worried about them. 

But I've seen too many cyclists weave in and out of traffic, and not pay attention to traffic lights and signs, that they either think they are invincible or they have a death wish. And this is in the traffic lanes, not the bike lanes. If any are wearing headphones, they deserve even less attention and certainly none of my pity when they take a fall. 

And this is coming from a guy who just bought a nice new bike, loves to ride, but sticks to the trails, leaving the music at home. 

17 hours ago, John said:

I would credit Iron Man for starting the brand of superhero film that we see today. 

Well the brand of superhero film that we see today is almost entirely centered on Marvel based on production rates and general popularity, so obviously Iron Man, the beginning of the Marvel multi-phase series, should be credited for that.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I’m was thinking giving it just a ***. There’s too much good craft, and Nolan trademark seriousness (which I love) for me to score it less.

I like liking movies, and I’m trying my hardest not to be too harsh with most films.

Don't sugar coat an essentially mediocre mismash. 

I think its fine.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Well the brand of superhero film that we see today is almost entirely centered on Marvel based on production rates and general popularity, so obviously Iron Man, the beginning of the Marvel multi-phase series, should be credited for that.

My issue with the MCU is twofold. Yes, its partially to do with the sheer number of films. Its nearly 48 hours of continuous cinema, twice of the length of some of the longest-running traditional film series (Harry Potter, Middle Earth, Star Wars 1-9). Its too much, and even now that they've reached a good place to end, they're just not gonna. Its the way a story ends that gives it meaning. If its never-ending, its will inevitably become trivial.

The second issue is the aesthetic. Their lightheartedness and intentional self-parodizing humour ("we're on a flying city and I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes any sense.") just about oblitirates any sense of drama that the narrative could have otherwise had. I have had it up to here with that wink-at-the-camera style.

2 hours ago, xWxzek said:

When I'm in a car, I'm never worried about bigger cars pushing me off the road. I check my mirrors and always have an envelope of sound between the music and outside. Motorcycles and bicycles are smaller than me, and it's going to hurt them more so I'm less worried about them. 

But I've seen too many cyclists weave in and out of traffic, and not pay attention to traffic lights and signs, that they either think they are invincible or they have a death wish. And this is in the traffic lanes, not the bike lanes. If any are wearing headphones, they deserve even less attention and certainly none of my pity when they take a fall. 

And this is coming from a guy who just bought a nice new bike, loves to ride, but sticks to the trails, leaving the music at home. 

To repeat your own words: This comparison comes across as so much ignorance it's not even funny.

I've used headphones when riding a bike. Always open headphones (it's not even legal to wear closed headphones on a bike here), and always with the volume at a level where I can still hear cars coming up behind me. I've seen plenty of car drivers who turn up the music so loud that they definitely cannot hear other cars.

And whether cyclists pay attention to lights, signs, and traffic is totally unrelated to whether they wear headphones. A cyclist wearing headphones deserves neither more nor less attention that one who doesn't.

In my experience, there are lots of cyclists who don't know or don't care about some rules. But there are just as many car drivers who don't. The difference is that 1) car drivers supposedly have proven that they know the rules when they took their licence (so either they shouldn't have gotten their licence, or they're reckless because they proceeded to forget the rules, or they're reckless because they don't care; whether cyclists should be required to take an exam is a related but separate discussion) and 2) most reckless cyclists are mainly a danger to themselves, while most reckless car drivers are mainly a danger to others. (And that's without mentioning the significant part of car drivers who generally do follow the rules but still endanger cyclists by not keeping a minimum distance or simple ignoring them when changing lanes or taking turns).

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

My issue with the MCU is twofold. Yes, its partially to do with the sheer number of films. Its nearly 48 hours of continuous cinema, twice of the length of some of the longest-running traditional film series (Harry Potter, Middle Earth, Star Wars 1-9). Its too much, and even now that they've reached a good place to end, they're just not gonna. 

Here's my two cents, and it may only add up to a single cent given my knowledge of the MCU, but here it goes.

I'm just about to enter a mammoth viewing streak of the phase series films in release order with a friend, once I wrap up the Dark Knight trilogy of course. Now you may be thinking, "Jerry, my good man, why would you subject yourself to such a thing if you yourself say you have little to no interest in these films?". That's a completely legitimate question. And I have a few answers. Firstly, I'm on a superhero spiel in terms of movies. I plowed through Superman and Batman, and I've already stated future intentions. I generally didn't care about these movies, but after giving them a fair chance I've realized that they can turn out to be pretty good. Obviously there's a difference between Marvel and DC on a number of levels, but there are lessons to be learned. Secondly, there may, interestingly enough, be an element of peer influence (not pressure, per se, but influence). I know a lot of people that only talk about Marvel these days. It's kind of disturbing, and I wonder to myself if I'm that "crazy" when I talk about Star Wars. Nonetheless, I'd like to have a little bit of a grasp as to what's going. And finally, how can I fairly comment on these at all if I don't see them myself. 

Perhaps the best reason is that I just picked up a bulk pack of microwave popcorn. It will be gone soon, I assure you.

It bugs me that the universe is so cinematically big, and the grand total runtime may weigh me down. In order to fully pick up on important over-arching story beats and any other tidbits, I figure it best to watch them in fairly close succession for starters. So this really will be a haul for me. If it's any indication, I did a Star Wars marathon before The Force Awakens and it was very tiring. The MCU is   2+ times as big, so I'll keep you updated on my health.

If its never-ending, its will inevitably become trivial.

It makes the prevalence of the word 'infinity' in the series rather fitting, doesn't it?

The second issue is the aesthetic. Their lightheartedness and intentional self-parodizing humour ("we're on a flying city and I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes any sense.") just about oblitirates any sense of drama that the narrative could have otherwise had. I have had it up to here with that wink-at-the-camera style.

Aesthetic is my main concern. Will these even be for me? I expect them to be rather throwaway romps, with the occasional installment being slightly above average. 

As for the inescapable humor aspect, it seems to be the way theatrical humor is leaning lately. That's just what people like. I miss the solid comedic brilliance of the 20th century (in certain cases, obviously), and while my tastes on this matter are certainly acquired I think it was easy to appreciate. 

There are a few types of takes. There's the appropriately used jest that doesn't kill the drama, there's the overabundance of jokes that diffuses tension completely (not good!), and then there's, among others, the ridiculous "fourth wall" breaking humor that is supposed to take you out of the moment and is purposefully disruptive to what we've come to expect (see Deadpool). 

Anyways, I'm tuckered out for tonight. I could say a lot more, but I'm going to hit the hay.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

To repeat your own words: This comparison comes across as so much ignorance it's not even funny.

I've used headphones when riding a bike. Always open headphones (it's not even legal to wear closed headphones on a bike here), and always with the volume at a level where I can still hear cars coming up behind me. I've seen plenty of car drivers who turn up the music so loud that they definitely cannot hear other cars.

And whether cyclists pay attention to lights, signs, and traffic is totally unrelated to whether they wear headphones. A cyclist wearing headphones deserves neither more nor less attention that one who doesn't.

In my experience, there are lots of cyclists who don't know or don't care about some rules. But there are just as many car drivers who don't. The difference is that 1) car drivers supposedly have proven that they know the rules when they took their licence (so either they shouldn't have gotten their licence, or they're reckless because they proceeded to forget the rules, or they're reckless because they don't care; whether cyclists should be required to take an exam is a related but separate discussion) and 2) most reckless cyclists are mainly a danger to themselves, while most reckless car drivers are mainly a danger to others. (And that's without mentioning the significant part of car drivers who generally do follow the rules but still endanger cyclists by not keeping a minimum distance or simple ignoring them when changing lanes or taking turns).

COOL STORY BRO 

Deaf people are legally allowed to drive and hearing in general is not a requirement to practice the rules of the road. That’s why emergency vehicles have bright ass flashing lights in addition to sirens. Cyclists can do the same. 

23 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Deaf people are legally allowed to drive and hearing in general is not a requirement to practice the rules of the road. That’s why emergency vehicles have bright ass flashing lights in addition to sirens. Cyclists can do the same. 

Interesting you bring this up. I read a lot of threads by people on the tinnitus forums by people suffering from hyperacusis asking about the legalities of wearing earplugs or earmuffs while driving, because shit like emergency sirens literally causes agony to them. Unfortunately for them, there isn't a lot of literature available.

The John Wayne version is better. Except for the snow capped moutains of Arkansas which there are not any.

33 minutes ago, The Original said:

True Grit

Ah yeah, old timey revenge flick. Jeff Bridges mumbles a lot and that kid is annoying.

I watched it with my brothers awhile back.  We titled it "True Grumble" regarding Bridges' performance.

When the remake of True Grit came out this board was in love with it.

1 hour ago, SteveMc said:

I watched it with my brothers awhile back.  We titled it "True Grumble" regarding Bridges' performance.

He plays the same character in Hell or High Water. Another disappointing film.

13 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

When the remake of True Grit came out this board was in love with it.

That's because it's a Coen brothers movie. You're supposed to like it, even when you didn't watch it. Otherwise you're just a Star Wars fan with nothing else going for you.

I'm waiting for the Russos to become sisters.

7 minutes ago, The Original said:

This was the first time I watched it and still didn't care for it. Yet again I'm not a Coen Brothers fanatic.

That's because you don't let social pressure to get the better of you. 

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That's because it's a Coen brothers movie. You're supposed to like it, even when you didn't watch it. Otherwise you're just a Star Wars fan with nothing else going for you.

I'd much rather be a Star Wars fan than a Coen Brothers fan. To date they have yet to make a film a great. And I thought True Grit was one of their more accessible films. Their audince is rather narrow and small