BloodBoal

The amount of money these films make, plus the pay check Johnny Depp earns, they'll probably be making these movies forever

I agree with Stefan. Except I did technically see 4; we did it as a "movie night" film meaning we had a bunch of friends over and we all drank the whole time. Since the movie was so dumb a lot was drank. I don't remember much about it except there was some kind of sword fight with Penelope Cruz.

The third is not shit, unless you mean it's like a massive shit that you actually enjoy struggling to hold, then it feels great pushing out, then you leave the bathroom and come back five minutes later and you're still impressed that stench came out of you.

I've heard a lot of prominent critics completely trash the third one and I have to disagree. Storywise, it's a a bit of a mess, with far too much going on to keep track, but as as a pure action spectacle, I think it's harmless fun.

Unfortunately, as long as they keep making hundreds of millions at the BO, and Depp receives the sort of money he's rumoured to get, they will just keep making them.

I can believe that. $20 million feels low given that some A-listers were getting that sort of money 15 years ago. Mel Gibson got $25 million for The Patriot.

The problem with these sorts of fees is that I guess the actor feels that the success of the film (or its appeal) is riding entirely on them, and that the studio wouldn't get anything like the same revenue if a lesser known actor were cast.

Well it's true. Can't remember the actual number, but Chris Tucker turned down Rush Hour 3 until they offered him an exorbant amount of money, knowing the movie would fail without him.

Same applies to RDJ with Iron Man. 

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The problem with these sorts of fees is that I guess the actor feels that the success of the film (or its appeal) is riding entirely on them, and that the studio wouldn't get anything like the same revenue if a lesser known actor were castt

And they would be right, that's why these amounts are justified.

Iron Man 3 is a very average movie that made over a billion because of RDJ. 

6 hours ago, alextrombone94 said:

Kinda hoping Zimmer doesn't return for this film. Would love it if someone like Lorne Balfe was given a go

I think it was reported that Geoff Zanelli would be doing this one. I find most of his stuff a little bit bland, but it's better than another score by a paycheck-driven Zimmer.

55 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think it was reported that Geoff Zanelli would be doing this one. I find most of his stuff a little bit bland, but it's better than another score by a paycheck-driven Zimmer.

He's the one who did the William Tell arrangement for Lone Ranger, so I wouldn't mind him doing a full POTC score. In fact I'm pretty sure he's contributed a lot of additional music for the series already, so why not?

On his website he makes a big deal out of having contributed a lot of additional music to the series.

My main wish is to get a composer on board who's interested in the movie. Wouldn't that be a novelty? A Pirates score composed by one person.

It would matter if the different composers weren't getting a homogeneous sound. Fortunately (?), the Zimmer sound is relatively easy to emulate if you're a decent composer with the right gear and the right background.

Personally, I just like to know who wrote what I'm listening to. In my perfect world, Zimmer-style collaborative scores would always be released with detailed descriptions of who wrote what, just to satisfy my weird obsession - even though in many cases, I'm guessing you'd end up with something like, "Written by Geoff Zanelli, under the creative supervision of Hans Zimmer, based on themes by Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer."

Perhaps it's too much to ask, but then again, FSM/LLL/Intrada-style releases have tended to be quite detailed in crediting composers for their contributions on a track-by-track basis.

Regardless, I lost faith in this series after the first film and stopped watching after the third, so I doubt this next one will be of interest to me.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Why does it matter if it's composed by one person or not?

We've been through this many times, and will never agree.

After a diet of late 90s scores by Goldsmith/JNH/Williams/Newman (all of which I'm fairly sure were solo efforts), I was astonished to discover how many composers were involved with some of Zimmer's scores.

Oh stop being so passive-aggressive.

Knowing no musical theory whatsoever, it comes down to the principle of preferring one composer. I don't understand why you have such a problem with this approach.

9 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

We've been through this many times, and will never agree.

After a diet of late 90s scores by Goldsmith/JNH/Williams/Newman (all of which I'm fairly sure were solo efforts), I was astonished to discover how many composers were involved with some of Zimmer's scores.

It's apples versus oranges. JW, Jerry, Newman etc etc are classically trained composers. Zimmer comes from a pop music background.

The White Album wasn't done by a single artist!