Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

I actually thought Goblet of Fire was the worst. It was just so fucking cheesy, but like not in a good way.

I agree with you. It's also a bit of a downer.

Yeah the ending with Harry hugging a corpse with Doyle hamming it up in the background with the string section is a little bit too much for a children's film.

OOTP was the biggest let-down and the first Potter film I was disappointed by. HBP was slightly better than OOTP. Deathly Hallows P1&2 I felt did a good job at capturing the books but I actually liked the camping scenes in the book whereas I know many others don't.

Does anyone know who's attached to score FBAWTFT?

Desplat will be unable due to Rogue One so they'll have to bring in Williams to fill in.

Knowing Desplat, he could cram this in as well. I kinda feel like we're gonna get Hooper again, though.

Or, considering Yates is already borrowing Tim Burton's cinematographer and costume designer....maybe....

OOTP was the biggest let-down and the first Potter film I was disappointed by. HBP was slightly better than OOTP. Deathly Hallows P1&2 I felt did a good job at capturing the books but I actually liked the camping scenes in the book whereas I know many others don't.

Does anyone know who's attached to score FBAWTFT?

Desplat will be unable due to Rogue One so they'll have to bring in Williams to fill in.

Knowing Desplat, he could cram this in as well. I kinda feel like we're gonna get Hooper again, though.

Or, considering Yates is already borrowing Tim Burton's cinematographer and costume designer....maybe....

Oh fuck no... not him.

What the hell? Goblet of Fire is perhaps the best Potter film behind Prisoner of Azkaban. Everything turned to shit after GoF.

Marco Beltrami could do a good score? No?

I will never ever justify Yates's style... Bring back Mike Newell or Cuaron. Talking about Pottermore, are you able to just view the extra info now or do you still have to play games and waste time in general?

WHAT? YOU WANT ANOTHER NEWELL FILM, AFTER THE ONE WHERE EVERYONE HAD WEIRD HAIRCUTS AND WAS SHOUTING ALL THE TIME AS IF THEY WERE SKYY38, WHERE DOYLE'S SCORE WAS SUPER LOUD TO EMPHASIZE HOW EVERYTHING HAPPENING ON SCREEN WAS SUPER IMPORTANT AND BIG, AND THE EDITING WAS AS CHOPPY AND FAST-PACED AS IT GETS, AS IF YOU WERE WATCHING A LENGTHY TRAILER OF THE FILM INSTEAD OF THE ACTUAL FILM? OK, YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO WANT THAT, BUT I SAY NO THANK YOU!

IS ANYONE ELSE HEARING A BUZZING SOUND?

That's still better than Yates' disinterested approach, effectively draining the magic of the franchise.

YES, I WANT NEWELL AGAIN, AND I LOVED DOYLE'S SCORE! OKAY, EVERYONE DID SHOUT A LOT BUT THE MAGIC AND TENSOIN WAS THERE! :)

I agree that GOF was fast-paced, but if you think about it, the movie didn't leave any loopholes in the plot. As for Doyle's emotional ending, it's not a kid's movie so it's perfectly possible there. I watched the film at the age of 12, knowing what was gonna happen, and I was still a bit of a mess after the finale because of its intensity. When Yates came along, it was all just like, oky, Sirius is dead, whatever, and now Dumbledore, whatever... and oh, there's Voldemort, totally not scary anymore! Yates, as someone already said, seems disinterested in everything. Hell, they didn't even explain the importancy of the prophecy, Snape's Worst Memory was messed up, Nicholas Hooper came along... Need I say more?

The HP movies started off kinda boring, got more exciting, then got boring again. I think the one that turned out the best was probably Prisoner of Azkaban. I like that nothing really happens in that one. Like, you can skip it and not miss anything.

The HP movies started off kinda boring, got more exciting, then got boring again. I think the one that turned out the best was probably Prisoner of Azkaban. I like that nothing really happens in that one. Like, you can skip it and not miss anything.

The only book/film without Voldemort!

Really, the only thing that POA contributes to the overall storyline is the introduction of a couple supporting characters that they could have just thrown into the later movies.

I'm interested, how is GOF a mess? Skipping Azkaban is impossible because it introduces Sirius and Lupin and Trelawney, and it has a very interesting score. OOTP is dull but introduces Umbridge and disposes of Sirius again, a relationship never handled well to begin with.

What the hell? Goblet of Fire is perhaps the best Potter film behind Prisoner of Azkaban. Everything turned to shit after GoF.

Marco Beltrami could do a good score? No?

Beltrami knocked it out of the park with Seventh Son, so I'd be happy if he got the gig.

I think Desplat will end up scoring Fantastic Beasts -- it's a pipe dream if Yates wanted and/or got Williams. Let's not forget Giacchino had several summer movies this year opening weeks within each other, and he managed to do it.

Azkaban is still one of the oddest multi-million dollar blockbusters to come along, I think. It has all the Hollywood flourishes but at times feels kind of like a mid-budget Gilliam fantasy. I love all the practical stuff in that one too for all the simple magic like the waitress turning over chairs, the Monster book, Lupin's suitcase folding in on itself. They never really showed much of that outside of that movie.

Not to mention in the books you actually got to know Cedric Diggory and Cho Chang, they weren't just disposable characters

And don't forget the totally botched Quidditch World Cup / Dark Mark sequence!

Hmm... I never found Cedric important to begin with. As for Cho, I partly agree, but Yates had way more Cho material he neglected. Oh well, I suppose the upsde is that we never heard more lame romantic music for Harry's failed date.

I originally wanted to mention that, but then I thought someone would say: "But the Quidditch match doesn't add anything to the plot!", which is true, even if it would have been great to see.

I always thought it was an odd choice to actually show Barty Jr wandering around Hogwarts, etc. In the book its such a big surprised when the whole plot is unveiled!

So I guess nobody misses Hermione's House Elves subplot?

- Dumbledore acting like a loony old man

OFGFoA6.jpg

One thing that annoyed me about the later movies was how they seemed to be inspired by the look of POA. I think what the DP did for that flick worked, but the other ones just amplified it to the extreme and got uglier and uglier.

And here's the basic plot. Vaguely interested now, though it would have been better if they had cut the creature crap and just worked with the people's relationship in the US:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/04/fantastic-beasts

I'm interested, how is GOF a mess?

The whole concept of the Tri-wizard competition makes so sense.

Three challenges, spread over the period of an entire school year? With 2 large delegations of the competing schools staying as guests for the entire duration?

Suuuure!

There's nothing wrong with students staying there and attending classes on their ships/in their carriage (let's hope they were indeed takingclasses). Think of it as an Erasmus project for wizards that's a tiny little bit more dangerous.

I originally wanted to mention that, but then I thought someone would say: "But the Quidditch match doesn't add anything to the plot!", which is true, even if it would have been great to see.

I think the problem with the Quidditch Cup is that it feels kinda cheap and lazy the way they just zoomed out of it right as it was starting. I think it would have been better if like they had the game starting as Harry et al arrived and were making their way up the stands, so you're catching little bits of it and they see Krum etc, then maybe have the scene where they bump into the Malfoys, so you end it on an ominous note and that'd carry into the Dark Mark stuff. That way at least that's the real focus of it...in the movie they were just hyping up the game the whole time and got you all excited, and then last minute it went "Just kidding, don't have time for that!"

The Tri-wizard setup is weird but I felt like in the book it was more excusable because it was really more a backdrop for the intrigue around Voldemort's return. The book wasn't as interested in the tournament but more what was going on around it. Every time Harry had to do something for the tournament, something would happen or he'd overhear something about Voldemort. You got all those Ministry people around Hogwarts all the time which added some tension....Dumbledore's role was interesting, you start seeing him as this hyper-aware dude in his office with all these newspapers and stuff, poring over the Pensieve, dealing with Karkaroff and Fudge while trying to piece all the weird events together. Kinda felt like he was using the tournament as an excuse to get everybody on the same page about Voldemort and nobody was listening to him.

It's a pretty suspenseful book but they had to streamline the plot quite a bit and I think they just chose to focus on the action/comedy potential. It's all pretty entertaining and done with a lot of gusto but you do end up with this expanded Tri-Wizard Tournament extravaganza that doesn't make much sense, a Yule Ball section that's cute but a little long. The Voldemort clues are a pretty small part of it, limited to the Dark Mark and a couple dreams and you get really no sense of anything happening outside Hogwarts. The Crouch/Moody thing is made blatantly obvious and they avoided going into that at all, Crouch Sr's death is never even addressed after it happens, and Dumbledore becomes this flustered, angry old man who never has any idea what's going on.

No he wasn't, Newell told him to behave like that. Richard Harris never captured Dumbledore's funny side. As for Gambon being flustered, I actually thought it was more realistic. Dumbledore has no finger in the pie anymore and is baffled by what's going on, so he can hardly stay calm and mysterious his entire life.

Why?

He was nothing like Harris's Dumbledore, nothing like book Dumbledore, and generally just gave an odd and unenjoyable performance

Richard Harris never captured Dumbledore's funny side.

ABSOLUTELY he did! You might have not been able to appreciate because a lot of it was visual, like the way he delivers "Alas. Earwax".