TWIN PEAKS

Romão

OK cool, so I did forget a detail from the original show: that Michal J Anderson's character was supposed to be Mike's arm, and not an entirely unique character.

Too bad him and Lynch couldn't work out their differences so he could return :(

Had the time today so jumped on the chance to start in on this.  Almost done with season 1.  Dig it so far, but the music is largely godawful and repetitive, at least the "emotional" piece is.  I do like the slinky jazzy stuff.

8 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Had the time today so jumped on the chance to start in on this.  Almost done with season 1.  Dig it so far, but the music is largely godawful and repetitive.

Ha! You're only talking about one of my favourite scores of all time, what triggered my interest in film music and what inspired me to write a novel. I think this is the first time I've heard someone describe the TWIN PEAKS music as 'godawful' and 'repetitive' (well, it IS repetitive, in the sense that it's built around leitmotifs for characters and places and largely also works as a 'mood setter' when it is not -- but repetitive in a good sense).

But hey -- there's gotta be someone who dislikes this too, I guess.

Yeah, and there's actually quite a few variations of it. 

One of my ultimate and most favourite Twin Peaks cues is this though:

Amazing and otherworldly on headphones, in the dark. 

It's extremely sparse thus far, 8 episodes in. But there have been highlights. 

I like many wish the music was more prominent, but it still might yet be. 

Nothing has yet lived up to the promise of the music in the video Romao posted last night, but it's a minor quibble.  I'm surprised it bugs me given my fondness for that late 80s/early 90s sound, but it seems to work against the atmosphere of the rest of the show - again, at least just the love theme, which turns some scenes into absurd melodrama.  Intentional?  Maybe, maybe not, but incredibly dated either way.  

I'm really loving the show as a whole though. 

30 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

it seems to work against the atmosphere of the rest of the show - again, at least just the love theme, which turns some scenes into absurd melodrama.  Intentional?  Maybe, maybe not, but incredibly dated either way.  

Uh-oh

For me, Laura's theme is the atmosphere of the show. It's indelibly Twin Peaks. 

58 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yeah, and there's actually quite a few variations of it. 

One of my ultimate and most favourite Twin Peaks cues is this though:

Amazing and otherworldly on headphones, in the dark. 

That's probably my favorite Twin Peaks track ever. I loved when it was heard again in this season. I really like the full version from the Twin Peaks Archives

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Uh-oh

For me, Laura's theme is the atmosphere of the show. It's indelibly Twin Peaks. 

I don't know man, did you watch it during the original run?  Maybe it's tied in with that, but from my couch here in 2017 it's just a little off.  I'm feeling like the real Twin Peaks vibe, for me, is going to be the brushed cymbal/walking bass stuff.  

It's one of those 90s aesthetic things that you start cringing at but eventually come to love. Laura's theme is a classic.

True. And some of the corny Badalementi music did not help for the 2nd season's more cringe-worthy scenes.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

The music is about as repetitious as it gets, but for me it's part of the overriding kitsch of the Twin Peaks soap opera. 

Yeah, that.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Initially yes, but it's endless tracking throughout the first two seasons rather ruins it.

3 hours ago, KK said:

True. And some of the corny Badalementi music did not help for the 2nd season's more cringe-worthy scenes.

It honestly doesn't bother me. In fact I think my conditioning to accept its omnipresence is what makes the James and Evelyn subplot bearable. The music forces me to submit. 

Just a heads up: apparently score cue titles are up to their usual mischief again, and one of Badalamenti's for the most recent episode possibly reveals something spoilersome in relation to a key character. I don't know what it is and I don't want to find out either, so please be prudent about bringing it up here if you guys must discuss whatever it is, thanks. 

7 hours ago, Romão said:

I've read the title of the cue and I don't think it is particularly spoilerish

Am I safe to read it then Romão? I hate spoilers for things I'm invested in, but at the same time I want to listen to the cue. 

I would say so. It's so ambiguous anyway, it's hard to know for sure what it exactly refers to.

It's just my perception, mind you

I scrolled all the way down to the bottom without reading anything. Facebook is now starting to spoil this season, unfortunately. It seems I'll have to start watching sooner than planned.

I'm watching the second half of Fire Walk With Me tonight. Did the first half yesterday. 

It now feels absolutely essential in relation to The Return. 

And the weird thing is, I'm actually really enjoying it. 

Well, that's interesting. I've just had a complete turnaround about I feel about that film. 

I dunno, maybe being a little bit older, or watching it a second time already knowing how it plays out (and without the disappointment of hopeful expectation), or indeed just having it fill in blanks from The Return... well it was a very satisfying surprise to see it again with "wiser" eyes. Or perhaps it's just a simple case that what once felt disjointed and confusing to me now feels like nothing more unusual than a straight forward episode of Coronation Street - when compared to the all out mind fuck that is season 3!

Sheryl Lee's tragic portrayal of a haunted Laura Palmer is fascinatingly insightful, and Fire Walk With Me is simply essential viewing for anybody interested in the complete Twin Peaks lore. 

The added elements to the mythology are interesting, but Sheryl Lee is the heart of the film, and she's the one who sells it.

Like I said, I like it in parts, but as a whole, it's just very messy.

That's how I thought of it back when I first watched it years ago, but this time I surprisingly found it to be well put together. Fairly conventional, even. 

Anyway, I wonder if Special Agent Chester Desmond will ever show up in series 3.

I was looking forward to tonight for that same reason, and then I remembered... 😞

Yeah, it's a good idea. I've seen the film 3-4 times, the last being 3-4 years ago, but might as well use the opportunity now that there's a break. For some reason, I didn't rewatch it a few months back, as I was going through my TP Gold Box in preparation of the new season.