Joe Brausam

Star Wars "Rebels" - Kevin Kiner Returns!

202 posts in this topic

Takes me completely out of show as those notes were written for specific scenes and a specific reason.

But there are only 12?

That's rather unfair. You can thank the Star Wars video games, among other media, for keeping the franchise alive and healthy through the early '90s, creating enough momentum to catapult it back to the silver screen.

Erm. Is that really good? Ok, it gave John Williams the chance to write three, now four, more scores.

At any rate, budgets are often finite, regardless of the medium, and recycling what's popular and accessible is often easy.

How much music from Star Trek TOS and the Battlestar Galactica mini-series was recycled throughout the rest of their respective runs? Granted, TNG and DS9 never had to mooch music from their movies, but maybe their budgets were higher.

I don't think music is allowed to be recycled since the 80's in US TV programs. Thats why TNG never tracked any music, like TOS did, or countless shows from the 50's, 60's, 70 etc...

It was a union thing.

I don't think that legal issue is a problem with synthesized (or performed in the composers personal studio) TV scores, as there was a show I watched that reused music quite a bit

There are still tons of shows that use music libraries. Watch any reality show and you'll hear the same cues edited and used again and again.

Then it's simply one man's preference and opinion that the Star Wars movie music is simply better than most TV library music and shouldn't be treated as such, being recycled either wholly or just on paper for different works within the franchise. I don't have a problem with this because it doesn't come into my house at night and mess with the videos on my shelf and the files on my iPod for the movies.

I've started watching Rebels.

Mein Gott the music... it's... it's... it's... pffff... in French I would say: "C'est n'importe quoi!"

Wait, I'm not telling that it's not "good", I'm telling that the JW themes are used anywhere, any way.

Tell me it's a Star Wars music generator that produced that... not a real composer! :lol:

I do like Kiner's new themes and music, and some of the JW quotes are great - just wish the JW was used more sparingly, instead of wide swaps needle-dropped in. He really had a good thing going on Clone Wars.

Thanks for pointing that out!

I wonder if an official release is still possible. I was hoping we would get more than a few extra cues that weren't already on StarWars.com. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that one day we'll get that Kanan vs. the Inquisitor cue from the finale. That might be the best thing Kiner has written for the show so far.

I haven't seen any of the show apart from the pilot and a handful of YouTube snippets, but I just plowed through the online tracks, and honestly I enjoy hearing Williams' themes—and, often, minor motifs like the AT-AT walker music—referenced more liberally and affectionately than I'm used to. (More liberally than Williams himself does in subsequent scores, honestly. Does anyone seriously think the Maestro would bring back, say, the ESB droid motif or the AT-AT motif in Episode VII even if there were a compelling reason to do so? No one has forgotten more amazing John Williams melodies than John Williams himself.) I agree that, in the one episode I watched, the misuse of Leia's or Luke's themes grated on me, but I just love those tunes so much, and they carry so much of the atmospheric weight of the franchise, that I'm more forgiving of it than I might otherwise be.

What I really can't get past, though, is the tinny and synthetic sound of almost everything in this score. Even when I'm amused by one of Kiner's ideas, like the aforementioned reworking of "The Battle of Hoth" or the charmingly tweaked "Glory of the Empire," I can't banish the image of a lone man on a keyboard in his basement cranking out this music. A Hero Complex blog article from last year claimed Kiner uses a 30-piece orchestra for Rebels, but honestly it sounds like three horns and a CASIO most of the time. I'm probably the least tolerant listener of sampled orchestras in general, and even I admit that the average DC Comics DVD movie has better sounding synths than this. It's an absolute dealbreaker for me on this score, and a shame, because as I said, I really do enjoy some of the Williams-isms, at least on their own terms outside of the episodes. Pity it all sounds just like Rogue Squadron.

A Hero Complex blog article from last year claimed Kiner uses a 30-piece orchestra for Rebels

That was probably just the pilot or something.

I mean to post about this show more, but I have been loving Rebels. I miss The Clone Wars, but this show has been filled the void nicely. The new crew is fun to watch, and I really enjoy the nods to other Star Wars media, like The Clone Wars (with appearances from Ahsoka, Captain Rex, Hondo Ohnaka, and Cham Syndulla). I'm really looking forward to the second half of this season. It seems like we have a ton in store!

As far as the music goes, I still wish Kiner would avoid the obvious Williams references (whether to the Star Wars scores or to other films). Kiner proved with The Clone Wars that he could write music that was his own but that could still fit in the Star Wars musical library, only referencing Williams' themes when appropriate. With Rebels, Kiner seems to rely on those references too heavily, and it can be somewhat distracting. I wish he would develop more of his own themes rather than try to repurpose bits and pieces of Williams' scores. But all that being said, sometimes he has pretty nice moments, like the Kanan-Inquisitor duel in the finale or this moment below. These kinds of cues make me wish for a Rebels soundtrack (as well as expanded soundtracks for The Clone Wars).

Scarpia likes this

1 hour ago, libraloco said:

As far as the music goes, I still wish Kiner would avoid the obvious Williams references (whether to the Star Wars scores or to other films). Kiner proved with The Clone Wars that he could write music that was his own but that could still fit in the Star Wars musical library, only referencing Williams' themes when appropriate. With Rebels, Kiner seems to rely on those references too heavily, and it can be somewhat distracting.

My thoughts about Rebels score, precisely pointed out. Although I'm not very much a fan of Kiner's music in Star Wars, I still think it works and fits rather unobtrusively within the universe. He has shown in the past he can create effective music and blend well with Williams' idiom, and I really thought he would depart from textual references on Season 2. I'm surpised he's persistent on this, which leads me to believe he's ordered to score this way by Disney. 

that would be nice... they already used the interdictor cruisers....still, i would prefer that the inevitable CGI tv series between ROTJ and TFA, featuring Luke, han and Leia, re-worked the best of the legends stories into the new canon.

Well, at this time, Thrawn could be (he was in legends) a junior officer. (and then reappear as grand admiral post ROTJ...)

It could be very interesting, as long as they don't misuse a much beloved character.

Rebels had a fantastic episode last night, and Kevin Kiner's score was featured very prominently. I thought the score was great throughout, but this piece in particular seems to have caught a lot of people's attention. It's different than anything I've heard him compose before.

I'm honestly just glad that he didn't score the scene with a butchered version of "The Asteroid Field" or something.

The opening reminds me of Stone Tower Temple.

Am I the only one who really hates this piece?  It sounds like a rip from Clint Mansell's The Fountain with an  "EPICK CHOIR" ending that comes out of nowhere.  I often wonder what a better composer would bring to the series.  

Holy. Shit. This is significantly better than anything I heard in TFA.

Gotta love the youtube comment section...

On 9/2/2016 at 6:49 PM, Mr. Big said:

Gotta love the youtube comment section...

Just when you think you've seen everything, the youtube comment section never disappoints in giving us a new surpirse.

MikeH and Not Mr. Big like this

1:03 onwards.... I wonder if Kiner Based that cue on this Williams material (and isnt there a recent Williams score with a similar arpeggio(?)?)

46 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

1:03 onwards.... I wonder if Kiner Based that cue on this Williams material (and isnt there a recent Williams score with a similar arpeggio(?)?)

Wow, I hadn't heard that piece before! I need to search for more of the unreleased cues from AOTC.

The StarWars.com trivia gallery for the episode actually says that the piece was "inspired by" Philip Glass, so I guess Kiner is starting to branch out to find "inspiration" now...

If anyone cares to know, the season 3 trailer for Star Wars Rebels has confirmed a rumour regarding a new character.

Grand Admiral Thrawn from the old EU (now Legends) is in there.

So if one thing from the old Legends is still true in Canon.... what else is?

I have to admit I am myself not familiar with that character. But it could be interesting....

37 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:
  Reveal hidden contents

What about the Count Dooku/Mystery Motif from Attack of the Clones? (a.k.a. Lucius Malfoy's theme)
Haven't heard that one for a while! :lol:

On 17.07.2016 at 10:47 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

If anyone cares to know, the season 3 trailer for Star Wars Rebels has confirmed a rumour regarding a new character.

Reveal hidden contents

I have to admit I am myself not familiar with that character. But it could be interesting....

Oh he's a cool character. Really likable villain. But his re-introduction confuses the hell out of me.

Karol

Pieter_Boelen likes this