The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

11 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Great name!

In "the comics", he's a failed comedian or something and his wife dies. The stories Heath Ledger told about getting the scars were better than that garbage.

Of course, all versions are superior to the Jared Leto version.

That was only in the Killing Joke, and that is not even cannon

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Is anything really canon when there are so many different versions?

Nope - things are constantly in flux in comics universes.  A fresh slate brings in new readers, so what once was a huge event (Crisis on Two Earths) is now a frequent continuity reboot or realignment (Flashpoint, New 52, Rebirth, etc etc etc).

I don't mind at all.  Honestly, the whole idea of "canon" drives me nuts.  Tell me a good story.  Comics that lean heavy on continuity/canon, and especially the major "Event Series" that Marvel and DC seem to do yearly now are such a drag.  Too many characters and you don't get the full story unless you spend a hundred dollars a week on comics.

LOOK OUT - THE PEDANT IS HERE!

Warner Bros did not announce either of these things.  Deadline's source re: Joker Origin is "I hear" and THR's Joker/Harley source is "sources say."

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

LOOK OUT - THE PEDANT IS HERE!

Warner Bros did not announce either of these things.  Deadline's source re: Joker Origin is "I hear" and THR's Joker/Harley source is "sources say."

They are not CNN. They are by and large credible sources and most things they report on come to be true or are later confirmed as true. Both have deep connections within the industry.

The film trades industry is not hard to figure out - just 3 or 4 major outlets pretty much for the entire industry. The other 3 besides these are Variety, Screen and to a lesser extent The Wrap and that's pretty much it. So scoops come often and are often true.

I thought Batman v Superman took place in the same universe as the Christopher Nolan films, only with a different actor playing Batman like when they did Batman Forever. Wayne Manor and the Batmobile looked the same. It sounded like Jared Leto was trying to imitate Heath Ledger.

Sarah Connor is meant to be real person.  Wonder Woman is meant to be a symbol.  It's like complaining that Superman isn't complicated enough (and all the attempts at giving these purely symbolic, traditional superheroes dimension tend to fail).

I can't really agree with you at all there. Just because they're funny book characters doesn't mean they can't be complicated. They complicated Superman just by dropping him into our nuthouse of a real world today. Sarah Connor was a loon. While Cyberdyne was obviously guilty as fuck of dooming the world, what the hell were they supposed to do with this futuristic technology they acquired? They had an opportunity to advance our civilization and they took it. On the other hand, Sarah Connor thought love and really creating something was fucking some guy she had met the night before. Typical woman.

I don't think Sarah Connor was actually crazy.  She was driven to extremes by circumstances.  She was a normal, fragile person who got pulled into an extraordinary situation.

Diana (Wonder Woman) is a mythological creature.  Superman is an alien superbeing.  They aren't meant to be like real people.

I prefer the Terminator movies, I just think Cameron's criticism was strange.  Wonder Woman the movie was very much in line with what that character is supposed to be.

I don't think Sarah Connor was actually crazy.  She was driven to extremes by circumstances.  She was a normal, fragile person who got pulled into an extraordinary situation.

She obviously has severe emotional problems due to the fact that she knows the world is gonna end, machines from the future have tried to kill her and NO ONE believes her.

She also has horrific nightmares.

tumblr_n6uwvnGkfk1rp8gz7o1_500.gif

She thought she was better than men because she fucked some guy in a motel after knowing him for 6 hours. We don't know what it's like to really create something.To feel it growing inside of us. All we know is how to kill and destroy!

She was supposed to be insane in Terminator 2 too, or at least people thought she was crazy. That was basically part of the point of the story, she did start out being examined in a mental hospital after all.

As for what Cameron said, I get what he's saying, however I thought Wonder Woman's was well-handled, especially since she was actually an inspiring hero, and I'm not sure Cameron himself can write characters as compelling these days either. Still I do respect the man as a filmmaker.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

She obviously has severe emotional problems due to the fact that she knows the world is gonna end, machines from the future have tried to kill her and NO ONE believes her.

She also has horrific nightmares.

tumblr_n6uwvnGkfk1rp8gz7o1_500.gif

So....yeah, extreme circumstances. :D 

She wouldn't have lasted as long as she did in the nightmare. How the hell is the playground nuke-proof? We need more playgrounds for the impending nuclear war. Cameron didn't really care about authenticity until he made Titanic.

I stopped watching Wonder Woman because it is downright stale, boring and full of iffy moments and ideas. Are all the critics on the payroll of the studios? I'm beginning to think so ...

IMO, the only good scene that I saw was the Snyder-esque telling of the history of Zeus and Ares early on in the movie.

wonder-woman-dipinti-02.jpg

Alex

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I stopped watching Wonder Woman because it is downright stale, boring and full of iffy moments and ideas. Are all the critics on the payroll of the studios? I'm beginning to think so ...

Brought to you by the fantasy world where film criticism is a lucrative job, or something studios care about.  A pet peeve of mine is when people treat critics like an amorphous blob that can be assigned anything en masse.  It was of course encouraged by parasitic garbage sites like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes. 

I liked Wonder Woman, except for the last boss battle which was similar level of garbage to the Zod and Doomsday battles previous.

I thought Wonder Woman had just the right amount of fun, some good heroic moments (No Mans Land especially).  It had more high points for me than the new Spider-Man, which was fine, and which I saw the same weekend.  It wasn't high cinema, but it wasn't the garbage that Snyder had been putting out.

Speaking of, I finally saw BvS yesterday.  It was maybe better than I thought, which I guess is faint praise.  I came out of it with the impression that the script wasn't awful, but Snyder took it the rest of the way there with his heavy hand.  If everyone had lightened the hell up just a little, it would probably have been a serviceable superhero movie.

i did like the Gadot/Affleck scenes.  I think Affleck acquitted himself well as Bruce Wayne.  The opening scene amidst the Zod destruction was great.  Amy Adams is a little ray of sunshine even when she isn't given much interesting to do.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

It wasn't high cinema, but it wasn't the garbage that Snyder had been putting out.

I disagree. Snyder may be garbage too but at least with the Batman/Superman rivalry he's trying something new. Wonder Woman is literally the same old, same old in every conceivable way. The story, the style, the music, the characters, the vibe ... We've seen this countless of times before. We we should feel, we have felt a thousand times before. Why would you ever wanna see Wonder Woman again? You've seen it! You know it already!

Very late to the party, but I just saw the Justice League trailer from Comic-con, and it looks awful, especially the effects.   And the slate of upcoming DC films does not give me any hope for this extended universe franchise to be in any way interesting.  Part of the problem for me is that generally do not care about DC characters, and never found many of them, outside of Batman, very persuasive or entertaining.

Unfortunately, DC is obviously depending on Batman to sell these other characters. It's the problem with Batman v Superman. The Batman scenes are generally strong, but the Superman story is dreadful and Wonder Woman's inclusion was stupid. They should have just made a Batman movie, but they wanted to rip off Marvel and pretend like they had been doing the cinematic universe thing all along by skipping all the steps they took, reviving an old idea for a Batman/Superman movie and going with the worst possible version where they fight and it doesn't really make sense. So now we have these scatterbrained films with too many characters, no focus and scripts that confuse the viewers. It's kind of like if the Marvel cinematic universe people were doing meth. That's the DC cinematic universe.

$85 million less than Wonder Woman?

Anyway, Wonder Woman is actually a good movie so I'm ok with it.  Unoriginal? Sure.  But well told and very likeable so I wasn't complaining.  There are worse movies to copy than the original Superman.