The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm clearly on the highest end of opinions of Wonder Woman on this forum, and even I think nominating it for any awards would be ludicrous.

Sexist pig.

• 2 weeks later...

This Entertainment Weekly list knows what's up!

They ranked every Superman and Batman movie and correctly put Batman Returns at #1, because it is the best.

Every Batman and Superman Movie Ranked

Their Top 5:

1. Batman Returns

2. The Dark Knight

3. Superman II

4. Batman Begins

5. Superman (1978)

Only about a decade ago, Burton's movies were being dismissed as cinematic mistakes because they weren't as dark as people remembered them, and they just weren't Frank Miller enough. Batman Returns was particularly bashed because it was more Burton than Batman. And now it's hitting the top of publication 'listicles'?

15 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

List:

1. Sudoku

2. Batman

3. Batman Returns

4. Irrelevant

5. Irrelevant

6. Irrelevant

7. Irrelevant

8. Irrelevant

9. Irrelevant

10. Irrelevant

11. Irrelevant

12. Irrelevant

13. Irrelevant

14. Irrelevant

15. Irrelevant

Fixed.

2 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Only about a decade ago, Burton's movies were being dismissed as cinematic mistakes because they weren't as dark as people remembered them, and they just weren't Frank Miller enough. Batman Returns was particularly bashed because it was more Burton than Batman. And now it's hitting the top of publication 'listicles'?

Do people take 'Entertainment Weekly' seriously? Too me it's like Fox News would do a best movie list ... Yeah, right!

I never said any of the characters in The Dark Knight Rises have much depth, but I still feel that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are both excellent films.

I am slightly exaggerating my dislike of the first two especially.  In general I wasn't satisfied by them, but they certainly had great parts and performances.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just saw Wonder Woman.

It tops MOS and BvS (I'll admit that it's not that complicated…). It's an entertaining movie with a great look (I mean, there are colors and 99% of the movie is not desaturated as fuck for no reasons like all other recent DC movies). I found the action refreshing and sometimes epic… I felt the same thing with avengers at the time but not since that… The story is not bad either.

I was even pleased with the soundtrack in the movie. It worked pretty well and it's far from the sound design from BvS which I'm not a fan of.

A fun, entertaining, well-made and sometimes surprising movie. Nothing more. And that's what I want from a popcorn movie.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The fact that they decided to skip World War II to jump directly to the Cold War reinforces my belief that they wanted to avoid the comparison with Captain America as much as possible (especially since the first film technically should have taken place during that war instead of WWI, since that's when the story in the comics took place).

"So a guy named Chris playing a guy named Steve gives a heartfelt goodbye to his true love moments before sacrificing himself in a German plane filled with bombs? All we’re missing is an Infinity Stone and a Stan Lee cameo."

From http://www.the-editing-room.com/wonder-woman.html

34 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Ha! Hadn't realized that.

I never would have made the name connection if they hadn't pointed it out either.

Pretty hilarious though!

All in all, I think there ARE some definite similarities with Captain America. But I like that film, so I really don't mind.

Wonder Woman is easily the best and also most enjoyable DC universe film by a wide margin.

There's still some quite stupid stuff in there and it certainly could've been better.

But I'll take what I can. ;)

I'm also thoroughly impressed that they dared to apply NO colour correction to the opening scenes on that Greek island. So it looks like ACTUAL GREECE!

Unlike in the PotC films, where they shot in the actual Caribbean and still made it look like the North Sea in the movie itself for some funky reason.

(I'm still confused though why the idyllic "fantasy" world in the film uses real colours, while the "real" world doesn't look quite real)

If I could make one change to the film, I'd take out Ares at the end.

Would have been a world class shocker if truly Ares had NOTHING to do with everything that happened.

I was actually beginning to think that was where the movie was headed; it would have made for a serious case of "realism strikes".

I imagine would trigger quite an existential crisis in the character of Wonder Woman, which she'd have to overcome by seeing there are good humans too.

But then a big fight with the god of war happened instead, which makes it far more standard super hero action movie fare.

Missed opportunity there!

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, like Diana being all like: "Oh, no, men are not evil, it's Ares that turns them against one another! Men are kind, I shall do everything to help them!" and then having no problem slaughtering Germans (even destroying half a fucking church to take one of them down!)

LOL! True, she didn't seem to have a problem with "kicking ass" (read: killing Germans) even in the slightest.

Such a sweet personality, she's got. Until she picks a fight and then she's really not! :lol: