The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Every single critic who reviewed this movie doesn't really like it?  They're just making sure people think they're progressive?  That is laughably ridiculous.  Could it be that (a) there are many critics who rightfully want to see more major Hollywood blockbusters starring women and (b) they're really happy to see one and that it's actually good?  Yes.  Yes, it could be.

I never once said that every single critic didn't like the film, or not even a majority. I only said that I believe some critics might feel pressured to praise a movie they might not particularly like simply because it has a female protagonist. I, for one, am by no means against female leads in movies. I believe its time that today's films have more strong diverse role models, which is becoming a recurring trend in recent days, which I heartily applaud. I do feel, however, that Hollywood can bully people and critics alike into praising a film that said people may not be a fan of simply to avoid being labeled a sexist. Do I think it will be a good film? Yes, I do. Do I think some may feel pressured into praising it simply because they don't feel like being labeled a bigot, even if they personally aren't a big fan of the movie? Unfortunately, yes.

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

RT is an aggregator. It doesn't have an opinion.

Not entirely true. A 3/5 film can swing either way on that website. 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean, if you want to make up a non-issue to be concerned about based on no evidence, go right ahead.  Free country.

I was simply countering your argument with a statement that can certainly be described as true, in today's day and age.

It's why, if you're going to use an aggregator at all, use Metacritic not Rotten Tomatoes since it at least allows for a little nuance.  But I also don't think RT is that inaccurate in tracking overall consensus so being angry with RT for a score is a little bit like yelling at clouds.

1 minute ago, JohnSolo said:

I was simply countering your argument with a statement that can certainly be described as true, in today's day and age.

Still as relevant today as in 2005:

Capture.PNG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

No critic has ever kept me from seeing a movie I was determined to see so I could have my own opinion.

I generally read critics because I like their writing and I want to see their reaction to something I've already seen though.

That's basically where I stand. There are critics I like to read/watch videos of, because they have a fun reviewing style, but in no way do I use those reviews to determine whether I should watch a movie or not (what I do is generally watch the film THEN read/watch the review, anyway.). If a movie looks intriguing to me, I'll watch it. End of story.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

That's basically where I stand. There are critics I like to read/watch videos of, because they have a fun reviewing style, but in no way do I use those reviews to determine whether I should watch a movie or not (what I do is generally watch the film THEN read/watch the review, anyway.). If a movie looks intriguing to me, I'll watch it. End of story.

I mostly agree with you, but you've never been convinced to see a movie you normally wouldn't, outside of the studio's marketing campaign or because it's by filmmakers you already like? I call bullshit!

It really depends on what it is. I like to check out the reviews not to tell me whether it's good or not, but to give me idea what kind of film to expect. Usually, reviews give you a good idea of the general vibe. The overall rating is less important to me.

Karol

I'm not even talking about reviews specifically. But if a friend comes up and is like, "Dude, you gotta see this [enter film genre or director you hate]!" You're gonna be like, "Fuck off, I know what I like!"

?

Still, come as may, I was surprised how good the reviews were for Ghostbusters 2016, even if they were average. That movie was absolute rubbish

I'm not particularly interested in DC/Marvel etc but Wonder Woman was pretty good. If slow motion action sequences are your thing, it is the film for you. 

Oh, and you must see it in 3D.

8 hours ago, Alex said:

If slow motion action sequences are your thing, it is the film for you. 

Wait a minute! So it's more Snyder than Snyder?

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

3D has never added anything but annoyances to any movie.

I'd normally agree, but I think this is one of those films that genuinely looks better in 3D.

I've heard a worrying rumours that DC might integrate the Watchmen universe into the main DC world...which, of course, makes no sense whatsoever. Creatively, that is.

Batman-and-the-Flash-Watchmen.jpg

slack-imgs-720x552.jpg

Karol

In fact, I feel there's already a bit of Verhoeven in Snyder's movie. There's a similar sort of irony and character self-awareness. Then again, Verhoeven couldn't give it that 'look' though.

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

I've heard a worrying rumours that DC might integrate the Watchmen universe into the main DC world...which, of course, makes no sense whatsoever. Creatively, that is.

Batman-and-the-Flash-Watchmen.jpg

slack-imgs-720x552.jpg

Karol

DC has been milking Watchmen for years now. Wouldn't surprising me one bit if we start seeing Dr. Manhattan showing up regularly in the main Superman book soon. Can't say I'm a fan of the potentially idea at all.