BloodBoal

Because as goofy and fun as Burton's film is, and as over-the-top enjoyable as Elfman's score is, you know they're not my favorite?

I still prefer them to the aw shucks boyscoutery of Superman.

It doesn't really change all that much. There's one scene at Fortress of Solitude that ties the film nicely to the second one. Other than that, it's redundant. Especially the gauntlet sequence at Luthor's lair which is absolutely pointless.

Voted for Superman in both cases. Not that there's anything wrong with Danny Elfman's music. There is, however, plenty wrong with Batman the film.

Karol

Wait, is Superman: The Movie actually losing this poll? Seriously? :blink:

I can understand some sentimental value of Burton's Batman. But the film itself is so bad - horrible script, bad special effects, dull cinematography. It's an extremely dated film that managed to become popular solely because of its (brilliant) ad campaign. Other than that, it has almost no cinematic value at all.

Superman, on the other hand, has some pretty good effects, beautiful cinematography,fantastic editing, witty dialogue, terrific score. Christopher Reeve, for chrissake! I mean, it's the whole package.

There is simply no competition here, guys.

Karol - extremely disappointed to see those poll results.

Easiest poll ever.

Batman for both, no question

Sack the mod.

Indeed!

This is outrageous!

Seriously. (And by more than 2 to 1. . . ?)

Karol's right. This is a travesty. I never really understood what it was about Burton's Batman that people thought was so great. It was all right, I guess. An interesting take on the comic legend. But Batman Begins completely outdid it as an opening story to the Dark Knight's tale.

And Superman is simply a classic. A great buildup of the character, a stylish and clever sense of humor, awesome effects (for the time), and one of the great performances when it comes to "filling" the shoes of a cultural icon. Reeve didn't just make us believe a man could fly; he made us believe Clark Kent and Superman were two different people, and I think that was by far the harder job.

I can understand some sentimental value of Burton's Batman. But the film itself is so bad - horrible script, bad special effects, dull cinematography. It's an extremely dated film that managed to become popular solely because of its (brilliant) ad campaign. Other than that, it has almost no cinematic value at all.

Superman, on the other hand, has some pretty good effects, beautiful cinematography,fantastic editing, witty dialogue, terrific score. Christopher Reeve, for chrissake! I mean, it's the whole package.

I agree. Burton's Batman is a bad film. Nice to look at, but hollow.

I will admit I'm more partial to Batman because I honestly have watched it more than Superman: The Movie...but it's very close behind Batman in my books. I actually would take Superman: The Movie over MOS any day...

I wish you'd be outraged/impassioned like this more often.

Lee

Timmy's Bats soars with gothic flair, as hokey as the script is at times, being another 80s revenge flick.

I wonder how Joe Dante's Batman would have been? Imagine the Goldsmith score. Might have been like The Shadow.

Well, for one, Batman doesn't really have a plot to speak of.

Karol

It's such a slow and dull film.

Shut up! At least, it has a better villain!

Not really. Nicholson's performance is iconic but the villlain himself isn't very good. I have no idea why is he manufacturing toiletries all of a sudden.

The 1992 sequel might not be very related to comic books and is conflicted in a different way. But at least characters (villains, that is) have some sort of believable motivations and goals.

Karol

It doesn't really change all that much. There's one scene at Fortress of Solitude that ties the film nicely to the second one. Other than that, it's redundant. Especially the gauntlet sequence at Luthor's lair which is absolutely pointless.

Voted for Superman in both cases. Not that there's anything wrong with Danny Elfman's music. There is, however, plenty wrong with Batman the film.

Batman the film is certainly pretty flawed. But is also has its moments - wacky designs, good performances and most importantly, plenty of atmosphere. It's enjoyable for what it is, and it's one of those films that show enough promise to make me regret they didn't turn out better.

With Superman, on the other hand, I never understood what everyone is so excited about. It's uninteresting to begin with and filled with non-funny comedy in the second half. I really enjoyed the opening and the Smallville scenes, but that's it.

I really enjoyed the opening and the Smallville scenes, but that's it.

Yes, Marian, that's the part of the film that still stands strong. The second half is like a different movie altogether. In fact, it's a nod to the American screwball comedy of the '30s and '40s. But, I agree, it is kind of sad that the wonderful Americana of the first half is gone.

Wide-Open-Montana-Field_zps52ubll5c.jpg

Alexandre

I can understand if one doesn't enjoy Superman: The Movie. That's fine.

But stating that Batman is a better film is just plain ridiculous.

It's not even a matter of opinion. It's just INCORRECT.

Karol