Non-JW Favourite Short Musical Moments

Jilal

On 23/12/2023 at 9:05 PM, Edmilson said:

Wait, he wrote a 4 minute cue for a trailer? Was the trailer actually that long or he just wrote a bunch of music that his music editors could edit into a 2 minute trailer?

It was a four minute trailer and Horner scored the whole thing, though Cameron didn't use all of his cue

Didn't you buy the LLL album and read the booklet?

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

Didn't you buy the LLL album and read the booklet?

Are you fucking chastising me for not remembering what I read on a booklet years ago? I know you may find that hard to believe but not every single person on planet Earth has 90% of its memory occupied by film music trivia like you.

• 2 weeks later...

2003 JNH keeping up with then current trends and trying his own epic Carmina Burana like impersonation:

It makes me wish he tried more that kind of LOTR/Duel of the Fates like sound.

• 2 months later...

I felt the need to post this track from the Pocahontas soundtrack (1995).

Up until 0:58, we get a statement and a bit of development of what I think is supposed to be Pocahontas' theme (a seven-note motif). All quite lovely and whatnot. In the movie, this is when Pocahontas and John Smith kiss for the first time. But at 0:59, the motif takes a dark turn as one of Smith's men sees the kiss, reflecting the impression of Smith as a traitor to his people. The theme snippet (now reduced to 5 notes) is then immediately repeated, but in an anguished and devastating way, as this is when we realize that P's husband-to-be is also watching them kiss. 

Those few seconds, from 0:59 to 1:11, contain the music of those awful first moments of heartbreak happening in front of your eyes. It's the soundtrack of the implosion of hope. It's a stunning musical moment.

To anyone who knows music theory: can you explain what's happening during those 12 seconds? The five-note motif is played twice during that span, with the first iteration sort of setting up an aural expectation for the second iteration. But whereas the first iteration sounds like horror dawning, in the second iteration, the last three chords of the motif (starting at 1:07) sound like pure anguish. What does Menken do in those three chords to achieve that emotional response??