BloodBoal

IMDB ratings are a load of shit. 4.8 for the brilliant The Horror Show, while the abominable Pet Sematary has 6.6?

We know the voters (i.e., younger people) favour newer films anyway, and of course they all love Nolan. Some pre-90s films have absurdly harsh ratings, while more recent films tend to fare reasonably well even if they're awful, Dracula Untold being a good example (6.3 if you please).

I've seen all except "Intouchables". But most of these being considered the best of the year of its release is ludicrous.

Into the Wild better than No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood and Zodiac? That's completely unintelligible.

I feel like that woman in Being John Malkovich.

"I have no idea what you're saying to me right now."

06874770fc69519e49150b7430049349.jpg

If I understand correctly, these are not "the top 25 movies of the last 25 years", but rather the "top" movies of each year for the last 25 years. In other words, if in 1994 there was a movie which scored, let's say, 9.2, this would not appear in the list because Shawshank (from 1994) scored 9.3, although such a movie would score higher than all the other movies on the list.

Indeed, Matrix (from 1999) scores 8.7, which is higher than many others on the list.

So, the only information about a hypothetical absolute ranking is that "The Shawshank Redemption" would be the top movie of the last 25 years.

Nah just making a point. While many of these probably wouldn't be my favorites of the years given, I do enjoy most of them, some, quite a bit. I feel no shame for that and feel no need to distance myself from this apparently insufferably plebeian display of taste. Or maybe I am just a shitty person who likes low-brow things. No appreciation for cinematic finery. My ticket-buying habits are part of the reason that Hollywood is awful these days. I don't deserve to post in the same forum as some of the Great Minds that JWFan harbors.

I don't even remember what Into The Wild was.

Naive-but-strong-headed hippie boy goes into wilderness by himself to kiss materialism and unhappiness goodbye, meets Hal Holbrook and several other mixed-up characters, and dies at the end out there in an abandoned van. Directed by Sean Penn. It can be extremely moving when you're in the right mood...or annoying if not.

I don't even remember what Into The Wild was.

Naive-but-strong-headed hippie boy goes into wilderness by himself to kiss materialism and unhappiness goodbye, meets Hal Holbrook and several other mixed-up characters, and dies at the end out there in an abandoned van. Directed by Sean Penn. It can be extremely moving when you're in the right mood...or annoying if not.

Chris had a problem with personal attachment, probably more with people than with 'things'. And on the other hand, he's the kind of 'lost soul' that evokes parental feelings in the people he meets. I felt the movie did a good job at portraying that.

Yeah but i never particularly connected to NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, either. And that is considered 'greatest' for a lot of people.

The first hour is perfect silent filmmaking. Indeed, truly one of the best I've seen. I do have a problem with the final act. It suddenly felt like it was another movie. Maybe I need to watch it a third time.

Alex

He really hadn't with people other than his parents. He was quite fond of Holbrook. Or lt's put it this way, most of us wouldn't be any more personable than him on his journey.

You missed that Chris puts on a shield from the moment other people got more personal (which they always did). I recognize it very well. Watch the movie again.

'A shield'? I know what you're getting at but let's not overstate things: a lot of people in our society would put up that shield, it's not a red flag in Chris' case. It's of course part of his mistrust of people after the disillusioned relation to his parents but it's more prompted by the fact that he was determined to live in the wilderness and the people he meets obviously aren't joining him on his trip.

I never got the feeling he would have rejected a fellow soul joining him along the way.

It's a recurring theme in the movie and too clear to ignore. It has nothing to do with being fond of someone. Chris is fond of the hippie couple, the girl, the grandpa, ... But when other people want to open up their hearts, that's the moment Chris no longer responds. I'm not overstating anything. I think, because it's recurring, it's probably the most important theme in the movie. It helps explain the reason for his actions. Chris thinks he doesn't need things or people. We are not all like Chris, a lot of people would not agree with him.

Responds in what way? What do you expect him to do, moving in with them? of course he has issues but for anyone undertaking that journey, people that are st up comfortably must be a hindrance on the way ahead. That was at least what i took away from these scenes which aren't dwelled on either.

I actually like most, if not all of the films on that list to one extent or the other. The only ones I thought were fairly mediocre are INTO THE WILD and LA VITA E BELLA. Also, WOLF OF WALL STREET felt rather overrated (although it has plenty of qualities) and I've never seen INTOUCHABLES.

Interesting to see the list organized by user reviews. Obviously, each of our own lists would look differently.

This is supposed to be a happy occasion!

But apart from Alex being his usual unperceptive self, what else could one honestly put on a list that, provided at least 2 or 3 people have heard about it? I saw some tremendous documentaries about emigrant shelters over the last weeks here in Berlin - it's part of a campaign - but we were around 10 or 12 people in the cinema. Wannabe-clever-shit as THE DARK KNIGHT...everyone saw it.

Well, it's strange that The Prestige is not on it. I wonder what makes Nolan folk give that one a lower rating. Personally, I enjoy this one better than the ones that made the list.

Alex