• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max

Michael Giacchino's The Book of Henry (2017)

90 posts in this topic

I've listened to this album 3 times now, I like it a lot.

I wish I could buy it on physical CD.

Maybe Varese will come to the rescue like they did with Jupiter Ascending

Arpy likes this

It's hard to think about how much of Jurassic World is down to Trevorrow, how much of The Book of Henry was him, or how much SWIX will be him too.

I was so disappointed after seeing Jurassic World, gone was the Spielbergian craft, those panning and tracking shots, the warmth and magic, the visual palette in JW is instead flat, CGI and boring. I came out of the theatre so crestfallen because it felt like a hollow imitation of what JP had created. 

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've listened to this album 3 times now, I like it a lot.

I wish I could buy it on physical CD.

Maybe Varese will come to the rescue like they did with Jupiter Ascending

With signed copies *fingers crossed

I guess another flop Giacchino is attached to, as well...

Listening for the first time and I don't know if it's something I need to own but it's definitely an enjoyable listen. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

It's not very catchy

I dunno, the main theme got in my head just from the samples!

I like this one, nice highlights.

As someone who has actually seen the movie, I can say that in my opinion the critics are being way too unfair to it. It isn't nearly as bad as they have made it out to be. And I have seen a LOT of bad movies, lol. It's kind of impossible to compare this to The Room, as someone mentioned. The movie has a lot of issues and holes, for sure, but I found it mostly harmless with some effective scenes and performances. I think people are honestly looking for a fight.

I agree. I saw the movie Thursday night, and I found it perfectly enjoyable. It seems to me that the critics felt "betrayed" by the genre shift or felt that the genre shift was a result of "clumsiness" on Trevorrow's part, but honestly, the genre shift (i.e., the preparation for and suspense of the film's third act) was my favorite part of the movie. I also enjoyed Naomi Watts' performance. Overall, I don't think the movie deserves the disgust the critics appear to have for it, and I'm still very excited to see Trevorrow's Episode IX.

I like Giacchino's score, too. Admittedly, I'm a bigger fan of his blockbuster scores than his smaller scores, but I like the colors in this one, and the score plays well throughout the movie. The score in the "Research and Development" scene really stood out to me in the theater, so I was happy to hear that cue on the soundtrack.

Also, I'm not bothered by Giacchino's punny track titles like some are, but I did find it odd that he chose "regular" track titles for this with the exception of 

Spoiler

"Shaking, Not Stirred," which plays while Henry is having a seizure. That just feels kind of inappropriate to me... The same with "Do You Have Prince Albert in a Can?" which (I think) plays as Watts' character stops her neighbor from abusing his stepdaughter by making a phone call (like a prank call). I'm not sure if a joke track title is appropriate for the material here...

Anyway, other than those and "The Parable of the Talents," the rest of the track titles just reflect events in the movie (unless I'm missing a pun somewhere).

On 6/10/2017 at 10:58 AM, Richard said:

Hey, Max! Missed you, dude! Welcome back.

Thanks, Richard! Nice to be back! I'm sad I missed most of the discussions on Giacchino's recent scores, but at least I'm back in time for Spider-Man: Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes!

The reviews I've read lay out pretty clearly why they didn't like it.

One of my favorite movie podcasts, Blank Check With Griffin & David, put out an episode on The Book of Henry.  They hated it passionately and lay out why very slowly and clearly (and amusingly).  Anyway, they actually single out Giacchino's score as being "really bad," at least as it functions in the film, and say how disappointed they were when they saw his name credited, because they usually like his work.

Listen if interested.  It's a fun, silly podcast by guys who really love movies.

Great main theme. Similar in contour to Jyn's theme and the Yorktown theme, of course, but still lovely.