Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek theme > John Williams' Star Wars theme

2 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

David Arnold's Stargate Theme > David Arnold's Independence Day Theme > Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek theme > John Williams' Star Wars theme.

Rubbish! It's the other way around!

Just now, JohnSolo said:

Rubbish! It's the other way around!

That is my personal preference order. Stargate means far more to me as a series than Star Wars ever has. Grew up with Stargate and lived with it for 17 years constantly in TV. I love Star Wars and Star Trek, but they aren't even close to my love of Stargate. And Independence Day is just a total and complete badassery of a theme.

My favorite Goldsmith theme was and is Carol Anne's theme. Or at least, three-way tied with both Gremlins scores, and I wouldn't consider the latter necessarily bombastic. 

So huzzah, I is unique! 

Just now, JohnSolo said:

Your opinion is rubbish!

Well, it's good for me that my opinion isn't determined by other people then isn't it.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

The Stargate TV shows look like they were filmed in my garage.

Yes and original Star Trek and Star Wars look so fantastically well made. Wait a minute, let me just tip the camera to make it look like the ship is under attack...

I've never seen the movie or watched any of the shows for more than a few seconds while channel flipping or in commercials.  So the only thing I know about them is that they look cheap.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I've never seen the movie or watched any of the shows for more than a few seconds while channel flipping or in commercials.  So the only thing I know about them is that they look cheap.

Congratulations on your uneducated opinion.

Stargate has some more realistic space battles than all of Star Trek, and even some of Star Wars. And if you're referring to the way it is shot, then I think you need to understand television and how it is filmed differently and on a much lower budget.

So hostile.  Low production values is a part of being a sci-fi fan (see Doctor Who as well), and making fun of those low production values is just as much a part of being a sci-fi fan.  It's called gentle ribbing.

Low production values and low budget indeed, but that doesn't mean you can't use it very intelligently. Stargate really did punch above its weight in how adventurous they were with their stories and effects.

For example, this is just one of many great space battles that looks far too good for a spinoff tv show (Stargate Atlantis) of a spinoff tv show (Stargate SG-1) of a movie (Stargate).

Fascinating. This conversation reminds me of a study I read a while back that suggested subjects with a high imagination were more likely to accept lower quality special effects, and that those with lower imagination were more critical of special effects in general and more likely to spot and be bothered by flaws.

BSG and Stargate have far superior ground and space battles than Star Trek and Star Wars. 

This is a lot better than the Takadona battle in Force Awakens. And Stargate didn't have a 200 million dollar budget.

It's not all about battles though of course. Great storytelling as well. The above ground battle was from a two part episode called 'Heroes parts 1 and 2,' and it was one of the best pieces of sci-fi and drama ever made. I highly recommend that two parter to anyone who loves sci-fi drama.

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I have no patience for the crummy, plastic, low rent TV scifi dreck that is Stargate and its ilk.

On behalf of Stargate fans; fuck you.

Whoa now.

While I certainly have no problem with people being into it, speaking for myself I could never get through an episode of Stargate in any of its incarnations.

...I'm joking...

A random person not liking something that I love is not exactly earth-shattering. You can insult everything I love and be a total douche,  but it wont change my love of it. 

Nor should it.

The only "absolute" is that Deep Space Nine (particularly the last four seasons) is not only the best incarnation of Trek, but the finest realisation of science fiction on TV to date.  Everything else on TV is a matter of opinion and open to debate.

I've unfortunately never seen DS9, except for bits here and there. I only have Voyager on VHS, which is my favourite Trek series, because it was my first as a kid, which introduced me to the others. I want to buy TNG and DS9 on VHS because I have fond memories of watching Voyager in bed as a kid so would like to do that again with other Trek series.

Indeed. Just as I don't understand the enduring popularity of the Transformers franchise or Galactica 1980, so is the appeal of Stargate lost on me.

I've never watched Doctor Who, but I know that, out of every other fandom that exists, it's the geekiest. Even more than Star Trek.

1 minute ago, JohnSolo said:

I've never watched Doctor Who, but I know that, out of every other fandom that exists, it's the geekiest. Even more than Star Trek.

Yet I think a lot more women like DW, which reduces its perceived geekiness significantly.

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

It really is just weird Titanic and Star Trek regurgitations in GD these days isn't it. It's become too geek obscure for me.   

What a total shithole!

What else are we supposed to do while we wait for Twin Peaks to come back on a cable station we don't even get?

4 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

What else are we supposed to do while we wait for Twin Peaks to come back on a cable station we don't even get?

You and Twin Peaks? I don't believe it! 

That's my favorite (along with the fifth one), but the funny thing is the sequels are way better than people want you to believe while the original isn't as great as I wish it was. Wes did better movies before and after.