The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

I am still doubting if Giacchino will continue game scoring after the Pixar film comes out. Some people earlier in the thread claimed he would but I think once he establishes himself with this movie he won't. If he does it will probably only be for a FEW projects.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still doubting if Giacchino will continue game scoring after the Pixar film comes out. Some people earlier in the thread claimed he would but I think once he establishes himself with this movie he won't. If he does it will probably only be for a FEW projects.

Oh, I know for a fact that he will continue to work on video games. He has too many friends in the game industry that he loves working with to quit. Plus, composing a score to a video game is a little more freeing in the creativity department then a film score and Michael likes that aspect a lot.

-Erik-

Oh, I know for a fact that he will continue to work on video games. He has too many friends in the game industry that he loves working with to quit. Plus, composing a score to a video game is a little more freeing in the creativity department then a film score and Michael likes that aspect a lot.

-Erik-

Well you have some nice points here, but I really have to wonder if once Mike sees the bigger pay days from scoring films if he won't be SERIOUSLY tempted to seriously focus on film scoring over game scoring.

I mean beyond the extra money there is the added prestige and fame that comes with film scoring as well.

So you don't want him to continue with video game music then?

Did I say that? ROTFLMAO

NO! ROTFLMAO

I dont care what he scores as long as he keeps outputting great music.

However, I honestly think I might prefer him scoring movies since it would allow him a bigger soundtrack budget which means bigger orchestras to work with.

However, I honestly think I might prefer him scoring movies since it would allow him a bigger soundtrack budget which means bigger orchestras to work with.

Just because he is writing for video games doesn't mean he doesn't have a big budget for his scores. Giacchino has worked with a 75 piece orchestras in Seattle and has recorded a complete score with the Hollywood Symphony Orchestra for Call of Duty. Remember, these aren't you're old 8-bit Nintento Entertaiment System games we are talking about. Producers of these new games understand the importance of an orchestral score and they throw around some big cash to get the best possible players to perform these magnificent scores. Now sure, sessions don't take weeks to complete like they do with feature films (that's where the Producers save there money) but the size of the orchestra's Michael uses are relatively the same size they use in Hollywood film productions.

-Erik-

Since E3 starts on Wednesday this week, we might here some new stuff on Michael, or at least on the new game he's working on now, Mercenaries

http://music.ign.com/articles/513/513292p1.html

Square kicked off E3 this year with a very special event: the first Final Fantasy game music concert in the United States. Titled "Dear Friends - Music from Final Fantasy," the two-hour concert featured music composed and produced by Nobuo Uematsu, performed by the Los Angeles Philarmonic and Los Angeles Master Chorale.  

The sold-out event took place in LA's newest landmark, the Walt Disney Concert Hall, in front of a mixed crowd of videogame geeks, press, and music enthusiasts curious enough to buy up the sought-after tickets within the first three days of the concert's announcement.  

Though the event was overall weighted heavily toward music from the later games in the series (not surprising, given that Final Fantasy's US success story really kicked off with the seventh game in the series), we walked away impressed with the performance, the presentation, and the timelessness of Uematsu's compositions. Here's hoping the choice of venue and talent will help validate videogame music as an artform and lead to more concerts of this caliber.

They played Liberi Fatali and one-winged angel!!!!!!!! Go to the site to see what happened there

Since E3 starts on Wednesday this week, we might here some new stuff on Michael, or at least on the new game he's working on now, Mercenaries

Oh yeah thats right!

He is scheduled to score that game isn't he?

I forgot about that.

I am really gonna be pissed not hearing Mike's score for MOH: Pacific Assault.

why do you speak in future tense?

The game has been released for months... (and you already know who the composer is...)

Luke, puzzled :sleepy:

I am really gonna be pissed not hearing Mike's score for MOH: Pacific Assault.

He didn't score it. Chris Lennertz score is excellent.

Justin

He's not as great as you all make him out to be. That's it. You talk about him like he's obviously the greatest film composer working today, even though he hasn't done a film yet. And simply- I don't think all of his MoH scores are that amazing. Call of Duty has very little good stuff in it.

Listen to Secret Weapons Over Normandy. If you still don't like him I have no pity.

Justin -Who knows Neil didn't like it and definatly has no pity there. :mrgreen:

Actually, he has done a few films... not huge Hollywood productions... but they are still films.

SIN (2003)

Redemption of the Ghost (2000)

Los Gringos (1999)

My Brother the Pig (1999)

Freight (1998)

No Salida (1998)

Buffalo Soldiers (1995)

I have heard 6 of the 7 scores and they all are completely different in style and are all excellent works. You can hear samples from those films at Giacchino's web site.

Giacchino is an amazing talent and as I said before The Incredibles will blow your mind...

-Erik-

Listen to Secret Weapons Over Normandy. If you still don't like him I have no pity.

Justin -Who knows Neil didn't like it and definatly has no pity there. :mrgreen:

I said it was alright, it's nothing great and I stand by that.

Neil

I prefer his not so Williamesque stuff actually, he is a great composer who has a better style that most others out there. Most of COD was great. Sure I guess he's not as good as Goldenthal and Joe Hisaishi. But I think he may have a great future ahead of him.

From what i've heard he seems to be good in stirring patriotic themes, but lacks the sublety Williams can put into such a score.

Which makes him more like David Arnold then John Williams.

Michael Giacchino might be able to do a score like The Patriot, but can he do one like Born On The 4th Of July?

You could fool many Williams's recent fans with SWON main theme.

Yes, but what you say is misleading because the rest of that score is not so obviously Williams like.....

You could fool many Williams's recent fans with SWON main theme.

Yes, but what you say is misleading because the rest of that score is not so obviously Williams like.....

Really?

Luke, who is not ordering SWON next week.

J/k... but really, it is still good isnt it? I thought it was very williamesque...

Well, from now, utill i hear more about him, ill just say he writes very Williams-like main themes...

From what i've heard he seems to be good in stirring patriotic themes, but lacks the sublety Williams can put into such a score.

Michael Giacchino might be able to do a score like The Patriot, but can he do one like Born On The 4th Of July?

Medal of Honor Frontline tracks 9 and 16 for example are pretty subtle tracks, 1 probably being the best with its slow mournful opening

Not yet convinced that a few subtle tracks puts a young and upcoming composer of a few high quality PC games, a few obscure films and a TV series in the same league as the number one film multi Oscar, Emmy and Grammy winning composer of the last 30 years.

But that's just me.

I think nobody believe he is as good as Williams... though some comments seem to sound like it, but im sure the thing is that we do not explain ourselves as well as we should, so the misunderstanding.

I hope i speak for anyone who likes Giachinno.

And stefan, your descriptions sounds like Alan Menken... (who unfortunately has more oscars than Williams and 3 consecutive years!)

Not yet convinced that a few subtle tracks puts a young and upcoming composer of a few high quality PC games, a few obscure films and a TV series in the same league as the number one film multi Oscar, Emmy and Grammy winning composer of the last 30 years.

But that's just me.

You said you hadn't heard any subtle tracks and I was just giving some subtle tracks I've heard. :?

Now here Stefan makes an interesting point.

Yes, the mature sublety of many of Williams efforts is something Giacchino has not touched upon yet. However, in all fairness Stefan you must realize that Giacchino has not yet done a score which requires this. I meanyou are not going to create a score in the same vein as Born On the 4th of July for a Medal of Honor video game.

However, I must say there is some deeper more thoughtful moments in the MOH: Frontline score. In that score Giacchino scores moments of frenetic battles with dramatic soft choral pieces.

I agree Computer Games rarely call for BOT4J music. Wait till he's scored a few movies.

Justin -Who thinks Steef is right that Giacchino is closer to Arnold than Williams.

I still say he's closer to Williams than any other composer.  

You need to give it time.

I have Williams. Michael Giacchino needs to find his own voice. Otherwise people will only refer to him as he who copies Williams. Maybe will hear more of the real Giacchino in The Incredibles.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Now here Stefan makes an interesting point.  

Yes, the mature sublety of many of Williams efforts is something Giacchino has not touched upon yet.

Oh yes he has... it's called Semper Fi.

-Erik-

Being inspired by and scoring in a similar style as a certain composer is NOT copying Alex.

Otherwise you could say John Williams copies composers like Korngold or Wagner.

I listen to Korngold. I listen to Wagner. They don't sound like Williams and Williams doesn't sound like them.

I listen to Giacchino (SWN) and he does a direct copy of Williams' style. To be more precise, it reminded me very much of the TESB Williams. That's why you are so fond of him, Rogue. According to you TESB is the ultimate film music. Major problem! Williams left TESB behind him. And here's why Giacchino comes in handy. Giacchino picked it up where Williams left it behind.

----------------

Alex Cremers - analyst specialized in "what makes people tick".

Well Alex makes a good point about why I like Giacchino so much, but I still feel the man has plenty to distinguish himself from JW if given the chance.

Yes of course, but it shows much possible potential, he's done better than Williams did in his early career.

I listen to Giacchino (SWN) and he does a direct copy of Williams' style.

I disagree, aside from a few parts of it, the score is it's completeness not what I'd call a direct copy of Williams style. Some parts are, some parts of Williams scores sound exactly likeKorngold's or Herrmann's style. Just listen to the desert music in AOTC, it seems to me as if it was written by Herrmann's ghost.

There is no one Williams's style.

There is just that one scoring style we all identify him for the most: The 70's/80's leifmotif heavily melody-laden style of scores such as E.T., ESB, Raiders, etc..