The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

Meh! Sorry, but IMO other than POA there are no other truly great scores released so far.

The Terminal is very good, but not quite great IMO.

I've heard Van Helsing but its WAY too generic for my tastes. Nothing special about it. The Troy score? The Unreleased one was fairly good, but the one in the movie was horrid.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and one of em was pretty lackluster. I mean it was as good as it could be for a romantic comedy, but it was still a let down.

Personaly, it was better than I ever cwould've thought it could be.

Van Helsing is a good score

Certainly.

Troy would have been a great score if we hadn't heard it 37 times before.

Troy is fine, the rejected one is one of the best recent scores.

I've been thinking about it- you'll rarely have a summer that truely could be concidered good for scores. I can't think of a single one in the past decade that was particulaly great (1997 is IMO the best).

Hey Rogue Leader, what do you think Giacchino would have done for SPider-man 2?  Oh wait, we'll know next December when he scores his own super hero movie!  YEAH!!

I suspect his will be more tongue in cheek.

Yeah I would not expect an overly serious Superhero score for The Incredibles. Probably something more along the lines of what Chicken Run was for a "Prison Escape" score. :|

That's one of the reason I don't think we're gonna get teh amazing score everyone thinks. It's rare that a comedy score could be made more than just that. I'm expecting a high energy, very thematic score, but mainly I think it'll be fun. Like a whole score with the amount of fun, pardoy, and energy as 'Building The Crate' from Chicken Run.

IHey Chicken Run was a great score IMO. Plus I do believe The Incredibles will have its share or solid action music as well as a great main theme.

That's one of the reason I don't think we're gonna get teh amazing score everyone thinks. It's rare that a comedy score could be made more than just that. I'm expecting a high energy, very thematic score, but mainly I think it'll be fun. Like a whole score with the amount of fun, pardoy, and energy as 'Building The Crate' from Chicken Run.

He surely is gonna give his best since the whole movie world will be listening. This is going to put Giacchino on the map and I think he's well aware of that.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yup, i agree. I think Giacchino has already demonstrated an ability to score the "big project" with his outstanding music for video games and concert pieces. And I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Who knew film score fans were such cynicists.

He surely is gonna give his best since the whole movie world will be listening. This is going to put Giacchino on the map and I think he's well aware of that.

----------------

Alex Cremers

But I don't know how much he could do in the genre. I'm very optimistic, but I don't think he'll be able to pull off a score that could possibly please the hype.

How much chance for a hyped score a la LOTR is there anyway? But if he does good he might get noticed and then he'll never ever need to worry about his next film assignment again.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Erik, if you speak to Giacchino, tell him that if he can, that he tries to release all his scores complete if they fill one CD, and if possible in chronological order. But of course with care we dont want him sacked from his movies! (disney's scores are very short mostly. for example)

I think many members would agree with me.

Luke, who unfortunately is sure than more is in there on why the releases are that way (like prices, reuse fees and so :( )

And congratulate him for SWON! ;)

BTW I dont think Erike ever confirmed this or not, but is Mike scoring that upcoming Call of Duty console game?

Seems like hes not. I haven't heard about him working on it and its due this fall.

Hi guys,

I will forward all of your kind comments to Michael.

As for the albums... he tries his hardest to get all of the music he composes for a certain project on CD. That's why SWON is a two disc set... he knew that fans would be upset if they didn't have those short 1-2 minute stingers that appear on Disc 2. As for sequencing... I'll ask him about it!

And I'm pretty sure Michael is working on the next Call of Duty.

-Erik-

I will forward all of your kind comments to Michael.

What about all of the nasty comments? :)

Neil

I think I'll tell Williams about you SOTE issue if i ever meet him (if he dared to come to Spain...) .I hope to share LOLs with him for that :mrgreen:

Yo Erik has Mike heard any film offers beyond The Incredibles?

If he has not gotten any more by now I amsure they will be POURING in once that score is released.

This man's genius will be realized even if I have to beat it into every last skeptic out there.

Yo Erik has Mike heard any film offers beyond The Incredibles?  

If he has not gotten any more by now I amsure they will be POURING in once that score is released.  

This man's genius will be realized even if I have to beat it into every last skeptic out there.

As for future films... he might have one lined up... I'm not really sure... and if he hasn't announced it on his web page then I can't say anything other then that.

And yes, Giacchino is a genius... he is the future of film music... and I'm honoured to call him my friend!!!

-Erik-

I'm honoured to call him my friend!!!

You sound like Spielberg in the JP liner notes :)

Start making movies and you could end like them! ;)

Actually... I do make amateur films and Michael was going to score my WWII movie FOR ALL TIME, if he had the time... but that was 4 years ago and I never finished the movie. You can check out my old, pop-ups galore web site http://www.angelfire.com/ab/tews to see stills and other stuff from my amateur movie making days.

You can download clips from my movies by clicking the following...

http://www.dillusions.net/media/tews/the_hunter.wmv (The Hunter - Featuring Beltrami's The Mimic and Williams' The Fury)

http://www.dillusions.net/media/tews/of_fortune.wmv (Of Fortune and Glory - Featuring McNeely's Terminal Velocity)

http://www.dillusions.net/media/tews/three..._on_a_match.wmv (Three On A Match - Featuring Debney's I Know What You Did Last Summer, Silvestri' What Lies Beneath and Williams' Jaws 2)

http://www.dillusions.net/media/tews/for_all_time.wmv (For All Time - No Music... but does have a temp track from Giacchino's Semper Fi and Cider House Rules)

These are all action scene examples. They were uploaded to test the new encoding software I purchased. I tried to put the software to the test with some of my busier scenes. BTW, Of Fortune and Glory and Three On A Match won Best Picture at few film festivals.

Anyway, enjoy!

-Erik-

PS - One day I hope to finished For All Time

If Erik ever starts making major movies he could develop a working relationship with Giacchino as his composer like the kind Spielberg has with Williams! :)

Will any Giacchino stuff be released before The Incredibles? I am dying for more original Giacchino music.

Hey Erik you know what orchestra Mike will be doing The Incredibles score with? I imagine a bigger one than the one's he has worked with thus far.

Hey Erik you know what orchestra Mike will be doing The Incredibles score with? I imagine a bigger one than the one's he has worked with thus far.

Michael has used some pretty big orchestra's for his video game work. 75 players and a 15 person choir for Frontline. Anyway, Michael recorded his score in Hollywood... unfortunately, I don't know how big the orchestra was.

Sorry, I wish I had more info for ya!

-Erik-

So it has been already score, huh? <-Leaked info ;)

When is the movie released?

I think ill go to the cinemas with this one 8O

The movie is due out in November!!!

-Erik-

Here is a tid-bit of info concerning the new score by Michael Giacchino and Chris Tilton for Mercenaries. http://www.music4games.net/n_mercenaries_g..._giacchino.html

BTW, the main theme music video looks awesome. It's my favorite of the four I've done for Michael!

-Erik-

who is currently scoring Pixar's upcoming movie The Invincibles

What is this movie? Why haven't we heard of it before :shakehead:

Hey Erik did you manage to get yourself into the video this time?

BTW the four? What were the other 3? Obviously SWON is one, but what were the other two?

Hey Erik did you manage to get yourself into the video this time?  

BTW the four? What were the other 3? Obviously SWON is one, but what were the other two?

I did a demo video for MOH: Underground. It's not available anywhere... however, I might upload it to my web site. After watching that video, the producer ask me to produce another one for MOH: Frontline. The Frontline video is in the game... played during the end credits. And the last one I did was for SWON... which is in the game and on the CD. SWON was my favorite video until I produced the Mercenaries video.

And unfortunately, I'm not in the SWON video...

-Erik-

Did Giacchino only compose the Main theme for mercenaries, or all the main(character) themes?

Correct! And Chris Tilton did the rest...

-Erik-

:mrgreen:

That is discouraging. I was hoping the whole thing was done by him but I guess mike was too busy scoring "The Incredibles" to do the whole score.

Did Giacchino only compose the Main theme for mercenaries, or all the main(character) themes?

Correct! And Chris Tilton did the rest...

-Erik-

:P

That is discouraging. I was hoping the whole thing was done by him but I guess mike was too busy scoring "The Incredibles" to do the whole score.

Don't be discouraged. Tilton's work is quite impressive and is up there with some of Giacchino's best work. Giacchino wouldn't let just anyone take over one of his scores. Chris is very talented and has produced a magnificent score. If you enjoyed any of Giacchino's previous scores, then you will enjoy Tilton's work!!! Trust me... Tilton will be a big name in the future of film scoring!

-Erik-