The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn this guy is truly playing follow the leader with Williams.

Well ....... he can follow forever for all I care! Long as he keeps banging out scores like Secret Weapons Over NormandY! :shakehead:

Re: SWON Main Theme Video

Michael WAS NOT playing the trumpet during the sessions. He was in the control room the whole time. How do I know that? I created the main theme video!!!

Re: Lost

I think Michael would like to work on this show...

Re: Camdon 2000

I have begged Michael to re-record this incredible concert piece numerous times. The only recording Michael has of it is from the premiere of the concert with the Haddonfield Symphony in 2000.... which actually isn't a bad recording at all. Hopefully, one day, Michael will have some extra time during a recording session to have the piece recorded properly!!!

-Erik-

Hey Erik, i think Giacchino said it may be in the works, but i would like to own his MOH scores, could you suggest a compilation (of the 3 complete scores of course and i,m sure there is space for MOHAA, just for completism :shakehead::| )?

A shame i discovered his work too late :eek:

NOTE: I cant and wouldnt spend 600$ on that ebay thing... 0_o

Hey Erik, i think Giacchino said it may be in the works, but i would like to own his MOH scores, could you suggest a compilation (of the 3 complete scores of course and i,m sure there is space for MOHAA, just for completism :shakehead::| )?

A shame i discovered his work too late :eek:

NOTE: I cant and wouldnt spend 600$ on that ebay thing... 0_o

Michael, I think, was talking about doing a MOH comp. album with the previously unreleased MOH:AA stuff on it... but EA owns the music and Michael doesn't work for them anymore... so, I highly doubt that there will ever be a Medal of Honor compilation CD or CD's.

You might want to contact EA with your suggestion.

-Erik-

The only recording Michael has of it is from the premiere of the concert with the Haddonfield Symphony in 2000.

As in Haddonfield, NJ?

Neil

:shakehead: I had forgotten that. And i suppose he neither can post mp3 on his site... :eek:

:'(

Hey Rogue, wnat to start a petition? (Though you may be lucky enough to own all that music...)

The only recording Michael has of it is from the premiere of the concert with the Haddonfield Symphony in 2000.

As in Haddonfield, NJ?

Neil

That would be correct.

-Erik-

This ones for you, QMM!

Neil

LOL

You can still get Frontline from $7.99 to $19.95 on eBay auctions, plus a few online stores have it listed, Rising Sun is a CDR, even though it is an "official" promo. As for the other two I paid less than $100.00 for the both combined and have seen them available for very reasonable prices on eBay.

Damn Erik is one lucky dude!  

Hey Erik can you be seen anywhere in that SWON video?

Nope... I was behind the camera the whole time. However, I was going to edit an Allied Assault main theme where I was going to insert some footage of me playing the piano crashes during the main theme... but I've been too busy just to edit that video for fun!

-Erik-

PS - The Mercenaries Main Theme Video is going to look nice!

Erik, how did you initially meet Giacchino? Sorry if you've already answered this.

I'd love to talk to him about the next season of Alias (is it me or am I the only one that watches this show?) along with his work on The Incredibles.

Tell Michael I love his work

If someone goes for that eBay auction listed above you may only wind up being his second biggest fan.

Neil

Erik, how did you initially meet Giacchino?  Sorry if you've already answered this.

I'd love to talk to him about the next season of Alias (is it me or am I the only one that watches this show?) along with his work on The Incredibles.

Here is the quick version...

I wanted to play Michael's score to Medal of Honor on my radio show but didn't know how to get a copy. So, I emailed Ford Thaxton and asked for Michael's email address and Ford kindly forwarded Michael's email address to me. I wrote Michael an email asking him to send me a copy of the score to play on the show... he did. I played the CD on the show and few weeks later I wrote Michael another email thanking him for the disc. In return for playing the CD on the show Michael asked me if I was available to fly to Seattle and attend the recording sessions for Medal of Honor: Underground. I obviously excepted in the invite and in 2000 I met Mr. Giacchino.

-Erik-

Yo Erik what does the Mercenaries theme sound like?  

By the way will you be working with Mike on "The Incredibles" score?

RE: Mercenaries

All that I can say is that the Mercenaries score is one of the most complex scores to come out of the Giacchino camp. BTW, a good chunk of the score was composed by Chris Tilton... and let me tell you... if Giacchino keeps recruiting composers like Tilton, the future of film music will be in very good hands.

RE: The Incredibles.

Unfortunately, no, I will not be part of The Incredibles.

-Erik-

Damn Erik!

Its a real shame that you wont be working with Mike on The Incredibles!

Hey, is Mike going to be scoring any video games after Mercenaries? I was womndering if he was going to be handling the score for the Call of Duty console game coming this fall.

Oh yeah and will there be a Mercenaries soundtrack release? I certainly hope so!

Damn Erik!  

Its a real shame that you wont be working with Mike on The Incredibles!  

Hey, is Mike going to be scoring any video games after Mercenaries? I was womndering if he was going to be handling the score for the Call of Duty console game coming this fall.  

Oh yeah and will there be a Mercenaries soundtrack release? I certainly hope so!

Michael will mostly likely be working on the Call of Duty sequel... and there should be a CD release of his and Chris Tilton's score to Mercenaries.

As for Michael scoring any Star Wars or Indiana Jones games... who knows. He hasn't told me if he will not or not.

-Erik-

I really envy Erik being in a position that is both satisfing as well as prestigious.

Hey Erik if you see Mike let him know from me that he has alot of fans out there already!

I really envy Erik being in a position that is both satisfing as well as prestigious.  

Hey Erik if you see Mike let him know from me that he has alot of fans out there already!

Oh, he knows. He drops by the message boards from time to time!

-Erik-

He drops by the message boards from time to time!

Message boards, meaning this one?

Yes. Didn't you know that "MGLover" was him?

Neil

Neil

And surely he hates you :(

He can't hate me. We're both New Jerseyites. ;)

Neil

Neil

And surely he hates you ROTFLMAO

He can't hate me. We're both New Jerseyites. :)

Neil

Yeah right, then you should like him too.

He can't hate you since MGlover does not exist. I looked for him. I dont trust you, you know ;)

Well, then he can't hate me either!

Morlock- born and raised in Clark, NJ ROTFLMAO

p.s.- I believe it's '...don't call me Shirley', not '...stop calling....'

I believe it's '...don't call me Shirley', not '...stop calling....'

They re-use the joke several times in the movie. The last time it is used, Leslie Nielsen says, "stop calling me Shirley".

Neil

I was just listening to his "Arnhem" track from MOH and it's really stunning. Some of the string figures remind me of Williams' Jaws 2 but only in rhythm and chord voicing- not the actual harmonic progressions.

Anyhow, I'm excited to hear what Mr. Giacchino will come up with for The Incredibles. I know it will be amazing though. Based on his previous projects, how could it not. I'll also go out on a limb and postulate that this could be the best score for a Pixar film (not fond of Randy Newman's work, and although I really like Tom Newman's music, Finding Nemo wasn't his strongest score IMO).

I can't find the Jaws 2 connection- where on exactly do they remind you of one another?

Either way, it is a great track.

I believe it's '...don't call me Shirley'' date=' not '...stop calling....'[/quote']

They re-use the joke several times in the movie. The last time it is used' date=' Leslie Nielsen says, "stop calling me Shirley".

Neil[/quote']

Funny, I was just watching that movie the other day. Classic film, and the best "joke" score out there.

I was just listening to his "Arnhem" track from MOH and it's really stunning. Some of the string figures remind me of Williams' Jaws 2 but only in rhythm and chord voicing- not the actual harmonic progressions.

It's really cool of Giacchino to offer tracks like "Arnhem" online for people without the CD. Btw, has anyone else heard a similarity between "Arnhem" and the Alias (love?) theme featured in "Double Life," "It Was Anna," and "The End?" I think there's something similar there, but I can't place it.

Is there any word on a season 2 CD from Alias? I'd buy it just for the choral version of the mission/action theme featured when Sydney goes to Moscow early on.

Funny, I was just watching that movie the other day.  Classic film, and the best "joke" score out there.

I like Bernstein's Animal House more, but Airplane's great too.

And speaking of late 70's comedy score- BRING ON SILENT MOVIE! IMO the best Morris score (and he's had a bunch of good ones). I must have a CD of that.

Damn when Williams is gone Giacchino is all we can turn to for more of that JW-like scoring.

Thank God we'll have him for many years to come.

Well its a reality you will have to deal with one day. May as well get used to the idea now.

Anyway as I've said before. I believe Mike will most likely end his video game scoring career in 4 years or so because by then he will be getting regular Hollywood scoring work.

I don't think I'll ever have to deal with Giacchino being the next Williams.

Morlock- who doesn't think Gicchino will be the next Williams :thumbup:

Giacchino is still pretty young guys, and the quality of work he's coming out with, given tight schedules and all, is pretty impressive. Remember that Williams really achieved success when he was well into his 40's. I won't make such a proclaimation about Giacchino being the next Williams because I don't think there will ever be another Williams. But GIacchino can certainly forge his own path in the film score community. I have greater hopes (and respect) for his music than the Ottman's or Brian Tyler's of the world, that's for sure!

BLASPHEMY! I think Ottman is BY FAR the most promising composer out there. And I'm convinced what we've heard so far is the tip of the iceberg. He is the only (ralatively) younger composer who has his own unique voice.

If a unique voice means writing themes that cannot be played by a trumpet section (because the composer knows shit about proper orchestration) or poor voice leading, than yes Ottman and co. certainly have that.

Ottman is a self-avowed fan composer. And his music sounds like it.