What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

All the President's Men. I've seen it a couple of times in the past, but I just picked up a copy of the new 2-disc DVD that was released earlier this week. I love this film. It's the type of film, like JFK, that you have to watch as a thriller or mystery film. If you watch a movie like this for facts or information, then you are looking in the wrong place. Movies are about mood, atmosphere, character and story. Not true-to-life, factual data. I don't know how much of All the President's Men is accurate, I don't know if they made up or combined certain characters to fill in the blanks, but as a film, this thing works extremely well.

I hate when people complain that a movie got it wrong, that the filmmaker is skewing the facts. I don't go to the movies to be taught a subject, I got to be enlightened, scared, mystified, or filled with wonder.

All the President's Men covers a lot of those bases.

Tim

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like the film initially, but I caught part of it recently and was really impressed by it. I love the editors and heads of the post- Warden, Balsam and Robards are three of my favorite character actors, and putting them all over there.....just fantastic. The only thing I don't like is the Holbrooke part. I don't know why that is.

Hotel Rwanda. A powerful drama with some really emotional sequences. Don Cheadles is great although Nick Nolte I found to be somewhat distracting. A very good film but one that will probably end up slipping from memory short of a few scenes.

Gosford Park. I literally just turned this film off and I'm not sure quite what to make of it. I was slightly distracted for the last 1/6th of the film and must have missed some of the complete motivations for the characters. Otherwise I found it to be a very engaging mystery. I've not seen any other Altman pictures but I thought this was very good Doyle does a subdued but beautiful job with the score. Maggie Smith, Derek Jacobi, and Steven Fry are all wonderful in the film although Fry's character seemed rather pointless. Still he does what he can with it. In the end I'm rather thinking that I should go back and rewatch the final 20-30 minutes of the film, still very good.

Justin

Gosford Park. I literally just turned this film off and I'm not sure quite what to make of it. I was slightly distracted for the last 1/6th of the film and must have missed some of the complete motivations for the characters. Otherwise I found it to be a very engaging mystery. I've not seen any other Altman pictures but I thought this was very good Doyle does a subdued but beautiful job with the score. Maggie Smith, Derek Jacobi, and Steven Fry are all wonderful in the film although Fry's character seemed rather pointless. Still he does what he can with it. In the end I'm rather thinking that I should go back and rewatch the final 20-30 minutes of the film, still very good.

I just love the film, one of my favorites from recent years. It just keeps getting better every time I see it. Fantastic cast that is wonderful to watch, and a very good score that is beautifully complemented by Jeremy Northam's performances of the Ivor Novello songs, a couple of which are really fantastic.

A real **** out of **** in my book.

All the President's Men.  I've seen it a couple of times in the past, but I just picked up a copy of the new 2-disc DVD that was released earlier this week.

Mmmm, I'm waiting to buy that one. How's the picture quality?

Soylent Green

I had no idea what to expect. The main reason for watching this was probably the references on Futurama. It's a nice film, that covers some daring issues for its time (in the futuristic world this takes place in, euthenasia is quite common - they don't make a big thing out of it, it's just presented as common). Unfortunately, I already knew that "Soylent Green is people!" and if you know that, the movie is pretty much wasted on you, as it's the very last thing revealed in the film.

- Marc

Soylent Green

One of my favorites SF movies, from when I was a young laddie, in the 70s, of course. Don't get me wrong, it's not one of my favorites now. You do understand, don't you? I wouldn't be caught dead with it today.

Finally got around to watching Kill Bill Vol 1. I actually enjoyed it. Found it to be very tongue in cheek. I think Tarantino enoyed himself on this picture.

Watched Casablanca for the first time in quite a few years. Still holds up in my opinion as a great film.

Finally got around to watching Kill Bill Vol 1. I actually enjoyed it. Found it to be very tongue in cheek. I think Tarantino enoyed himself on this picture.

I think it's a very cold film with no heart. It's Tarantino experimenting with cables, nothing more. In Kill Bill 2 he starts to make movies again.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I liked the volume 2 much better that the volume 1. I don't really know what have would happened it he had finally made it into only one volume.

I saw Sideways yesterday, loved it again. Can read it here

Seen as one movie Kill Bill is an amazing achievement.

By the way; I loved Vol. 1. The hospital scenes, the anime-part, the finale... It's over the top, extremely violent, but there is something in Tarantino's approach sadly missed today: sincerity.

yes, please do, you sound as if you've seen his master cut of the film, which I doubt you have yet.

All the President's Men.  I've seen it a couple of times in the past, but I just picked up a copy of the new 2-disc DVD that was released earlier this week.

Mmmm, I'm waiting to buy that one. How's the picture quality?

The picture is great, but I hope you don't mind a little grain. Due to the film stock used, it was obviously made to look more like a documentary, so it's more about style then bad quality. The crispness of the transfer brings this out more, but the colors are rich and very distinguishable.

Tim

Jarhead

Loved it.

Howl's Moving Castle

A visual treat, Miyaziki never fails to please. He creates these awesome imagery for the audience. But I always have one gripe with his films. He never seems to have one cohesive plot line. There is always gaps missing or things unexplained. He almost says to the audience, "shut up and go with it"

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire

This movie sux.

Cast Away

Its not too bad except I find the begining a bit boring until they got a plane crashor whatever it was and one of them got stuck on a Island for about 4 years.

The Manchurian Candidate (2004). A very well made thriller. The critics loved this film more than the average moviegoer. Too bad. I give it ***/****.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The Manchurian Candidate (2004). A very well made thriller. The critics loved this film more than the average moviegoer. Too bad. I give it ***/****.

----------------

Alex Cremers

How do you feel about the original?

I just watched Renoir's The Rules of the Game, a very good French classic from the 30's which almost feels American, like a Howard Hawks comedy. The thing is that it has a big subtext where everything is just a parody of the French upper class. Very, very good film. And I don't even like French cinema.

And just in order to have Alexcremers pleased, this film takes the third place in the 100 Top Films of all Time, in this absolutely random list.

I saw The Deer Hunter yesterday. Christopher Walken was fantastic, and the final Russian Roulette scene where Nick shoots himself is as disturbing as ever.

How do you feel about the original?

I don't think I've seen it.

The City Of Lost Children

Great film with some of the most amazing art direction ever put on film.

La Dolce Vita

Already saw it before. Fellini's most accesible film? For me: yes. Can't really get into the carnavalesque spirit of stuff like Amacord. Some of the dialogue is really sharp; even after all these years. Great.

The Libririan.

I made for TV adventure comedy, starring Noah Wyle (E.R.), as an insufferble know it all on an Indiana Jones like quest to find the Spear Of Destiny before an evil cult led by Kyle MacLachlan get their hands...bla...bla.

Pretty much a spof on the Tomb Raider films, with frequent winks to Indiana Jones.

Silly, but fun. (you know you are not watching anything serious when Bob Newhart starts kicking ass)

Score by Joseph LoDuca, fits the film very well in that it's fun, less then subtle and full of nods and references to other, better scores. (Parts sound like a rip-off of StarGate, coincidentally enough, Dean Devlin is an executive producer for this film) :P

I just watched Renoir's The Rules of the Game, a very good French classic from the 30's which almost feels American, like a Howard Hawks comedy. The thing is that it has a big subtext where everything is just a parody of the French upper class. Very, very good film. And I don't even like French cinema.

And just in order to have Alexcremers pleased, this film takes the third place in the 100 Top Films of all Time, in this absolutely random list.

what a terrible list, many of them are not even in english,

What does English have to do with it?

Justin

What does English have to do with it?

You didn't know that about Joe? It ain't good if it ain't homebrewed.

Alex

Proof. This has a fantastic performance by Gwyneth Paltrow. It also has Anthony Hopkins and Jake Gyllenhaal in great roles. I was also pleased by Hope Davis, an actress I've admired in several films, not least of them Hearts in Atlantis, which also had Hopkins, though in a more central role then he plays here, and I almost wish they had shared scenes in Proof. It's a movie about a genius mathmatician's daughter, who we don't realize has a hidden level of genius of her own because the movie is told in a way where it's interwoven with flashbacks. So it's almost like telling two linear stories at once and splitting between them. Both have a tormented performance, though one is more advanced and extreme due to the development of years and hindsight.

I really want to bring attention to the screenplay. This is one of the best written scripts of last year, and it wasn't a shock to learn that it was transposed to the screen from an original play by the actual playwright.

I had heard very little about the film, and only vaguely recall the trailer from its theatrical release. Now having seen it, I'm saddened to know that the cast didn't get any recognition this award season. It's a great ensemble cast, and they bounce off of each other very well, making it work as a whole. It was directed by John Madden, who also did Shakespear In Love with Paltrow.

Tim

Proof.  This has a fantastic performance by Gwyneth Paltrow.  

I agree, she really impressed me here.

I really want to bring attention to the screenplay.  This is one of the best written scripts of last year, and it wasn't a shock to learn that it was transposed to the screen from an original play by the actual playwright.

I disagree. It was excellent for most of it......but then faltered in the third act.

I agree, I also had a good time with the film. Great turns by Schreiber and Streep, and a good Rachel Portman score, with a fantastic Herrmann-esque motif that I can't get out of my head.

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire  

This movie sux.  

It took a while, but finally you've come to see my point of view on a HP film.

The Wedding Crashers - the first half is pretty good but the second hour turns into your typical romantic comedy. Will Ferrell brings life to even the smallest roles.

What Lies Beneath - What can I say Zemeckis pays tribute to Hitchcock. Not too bad but there are plenty of hints throughout the film that give away who the murderer is.

Just Friends - The End Credits had the most laughs, an amusing film but not worth repeated viewings.

The Wedding Crashers - the first half is pretty good but the second hour turns into your typical romantic comedy. Will Ferrell brings life to even the smallest roles.

What really made me laugh was near the end when Owen Wilson, drunk as hell, trips over the drums. pretty standard humor, but I couldn't stop laughing.

This Friday I watched The Goblet of Fire and i would have to say it is really overrated. IMO the whole thing was way to rushed, and the directing and editing wasn't very good. What annoyed me the most was the way the kids completely over reacted to everything, that drove me nuts, and i have to agree with many people here the score doesn't help the film, but at least the only thing you can remember after the movie is Hedwig's theme, which i believe was used gerously enough.

:music: Desert Chase :music:

Most Harry Potter fans, and kids my age think its the best of the seiries, and somehow people all over IMDB think its by far the best. But yeah, here not as overrated.

:music: Escape/Chase/Saying Good bye

It's new. So apparently, it must be the best.

- Marc, who doesn't think so.

You are completely right, in the summer of '02 every kid my age thought ATOC was the best movie ever, but then TTT came out and ATOC became the worst, i'm sure something similar will happen with GOF.

Just wait until the 5th movie. It's an 850 page or so book. That should be fun to condense into a 2.5 - 3 hour film.  

Tim  

Well if there's a better director it can work, im sure more formidable tasks have been done well.

Saw Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Amiable enough, but it felt too long, and the ending sucked. Still, I loved the spirit of it, and there are some killer bonus features. **1/2 out of ****.

Layer Cake.  Interesting story and very well acted.  I thought it was pretty good overall.

Tim

Indeed - I was surprised by the generally "mediocre" reviews it got by the critics.