Photo

So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

Movie Talk 2012 Films Ridley Scott

• Please log in to reply
1929 replies to this topic

#841 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Q&A With Ridley Scott And Damon Lindelof. Good stuff!

http://www.comicbook...s/news/?a=56563

Alex
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#842 alan1984

alan1984

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Here's the even longer (and very different) international trailer:

#843 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16003 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'd say this one promises a much more interesting film than the other one. Even though most of the footage is the same, the US trailer tries to sell it as a blockbuster (with blockbuster trailer music). I like the international one better.

But, for some reason, every new piece of footage makes more and more skeptical. Same with the latest Batman film.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#844 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70582 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Q&A With Ridley Scott And Damon Lindelof. Good stuff!

http://www.comicbook...s/news/?a=56563

Alex

Are you starting to believe, Alex? Do the Bale...Bale...Bale...

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#845 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

I'm dancing to a different tune now:

Fass ... Fass ... Bender

Fass ... Fass ... Bender

Fass ... Fass ... Bender

"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#846 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'd say this one promises a much more interesting film than the other one.

I don't think so. The previous one actually looked Alienesque, It had that old 70s vibe to it. This one looks more like another Avatar or something. :| I am much more interested in seeing the other movie.

#847 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9699 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

I don't think so. The previous one actually looked Alienesque, It had that old 70s vibe to it. This one looks more like another Avatar or something. :| I am much more interested in seeing the other movie.

I don't know how you can see anything like Avatar in the international trailer.

#848 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

I don't know how you can see anything like Avatar in the international trailer.

My initial impression. Trailer looks to me as if it was another movie set in the universe of Cameron's "Avatar" than of Scott's "Alien"/"Blade Runner".

#849 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21008 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

I didn't think that Blade Runner and Alien were part of the same universe.

And once you take the blue people and Pandorian aliens out of Avatar, all you're left with is generic uninspired science fiction that steals mechs from Aliens (and MechWarrior), dropships from Aliens, and various other established franchises.

#850 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9699 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

And once you take the blue people and Pandorian aliens out of Avatar, all you're left with is generic uninspired science fiction that steals mechs from Aliens (and MechWarrior), dropships from Aliens, and various other established franchises.

You don't need to take the aliens out. The alien creatures are either inspired on real animals or based off John Carter. They didn't even bother creating new sounds for some of them. And personally, I hated the blue people. The design was just so obvious, with the big eyes, the cat noses... ugh.

The mechs are different from that in Aliens, though. All that's similar is the bars over Ripley's head sorta resemble the form of the cabins of the Avatar mechs. And the Venture Star is the coolest spaceship I've seen in a film.

Prometheus looks different to Alien because the Prometheus is just not the Nostromo.

#851 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21008 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

And you think that a human civilization advanced enough to send human beings to LV-426 -- I know, not named in Alien until Aliens, but still -- would make every ship look the same? Our current civilization is only advanced enough to send people to the moon and orbit of this planet, and the space shuttle orbiter still doesn't look anything like a Saturn capsule. A pick-up truck doesn't look like a VW beetle.

The Nostromo was an ore freighter. The Prometheus is clearly not.

The key indicator is that the distinctive curvature of the space jockey's ship is clearly seen in some Prometheus trailers. And there is no space jockey on Pandora.

~*~

But I guess that's the point we've reached in film these days. Every new science fiction epic will be benchmarked against Avatar. That's sad.

#852 Bryant Burnette

Bryant Burnette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

This and The Hobbit are the two movies I currently am dying to see the most.

#853 KK.

KK.

Gandalf the Flasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8599 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

I think that might be the best trailer for Prometheus so far. I'm definitely very excited for this film.

#854 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21008 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

Wow...that was stunning.

I will be disappointed if Fassbender is not the Ash-like android in the film.

Like the top YouTube commenter said...shut up and take my money.

#855 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9699 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

I will be disappointed if Fassbender is not the Ash-like android in the film.

He is. David 8.0 I think.

#856 nightscape94

nightscape94

The Goggles Do Nothing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5854 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

I'm more excited about this film than any other in quite some time. I can't wait to see this, and yet I'm practicing controlled restraint when it comes to seeing trailers or promotional material. When Scott is really on, he's one of the great directors we have.

#857 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

When was the last time you thought he's one of the great directors? Personally, I think it's been quite a while ago. Most of the time he's not much better than his brother. I don't expect Prometheus to be truly great but I'm hoping there will be some great moments in it and by that I don't mean spectacular 3D effects.

Alex

#858 Richard

Richard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5555 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

When was the last time you thought he's one of the great directors?
Alex

Probably, with "Thelma And Louise", his last great, and truly muitl-layered, film.

#859 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5064 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

When was the last time you thought he's one of the great directors? Personally, I think it's been quite a while ago.

How long exactly?

#860 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17266 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

When was the last time you thought he's one of the great directors? Personally, I think it's been quite a while ago.

How long exactly?

30 years.

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#861 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5064 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

#862 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9699 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Well he's been tackling on mostly boring subject matters or taking them wrong (Gladiator, for example).

#863 Wojo

Wojo

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21008 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'll take the fake history of Gladiator over the fake history of The Patriot any day.

#864 nightscape94

nightscape94

The Goggles Do Nothing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5854 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

When was the last time you thought he's one of the great directors? Personally, I think it's been quite a while ago. Most of the time he's not much better than his brother.

Tony Scott has made one great movie, Crimson Tide, and a couple of good ones, Deju Vu (underrated) and Enemy of the State. Other than that, I have no interest in his work.

Obviously you didn't find Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut), Blackhawn Down or Matchstick Men good, based on your response, but I disagree. His last two movies, though, were not all that special.

Tim

#865 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

I think Kingdom Of Heaven is good but far from a masterpiece.

#866 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18031 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

I think Kingdom Of Heaven is good but far from a masterpiece.

I agree. I actually wish Orlando Bloom's character had died at the beginning and Liam Neeson's would have gone off to fight another round in the crusades. Also there is something intangible missing from a lot of Ridley's recent films, a certain humane touch. He is always so interested in the large canvas of history and place that he often, I feel, forgets the human side of things. In Kingdom of Heaven in the spectacle of the crusades I tend to forget Balian altogether whatever tribulations he is going through with allies and enemies, Sibylla or Tiberias or Guy. They all ring a little hollow and as consequence I do not care for them at all. Oddly enough Edward Norton in his mask projected the most poignant performance as the young king trying to hold his crumbling empire intact.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#867 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17266 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I actually wish Orlando Bloom's character had died at the beginning and Liam Neeson's would have gone off to fight another round in the crusades.

That's actually what happens in the alternate cut. The problem is Scott doesn't want to release it. Shame.

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#868 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

Yes. Incredible how a man with a mask was more affecting and poignant than the rest of the cast.

#869 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70582 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Ed Norton? Touching?

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#870 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Gary Oldman did the same for Hannibal.

#871 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70582 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Come to think of it, the best 2 performances from Watchmen are from actors who's face is covered.
Same for Burtons planet Of The Apes...

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#872 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Didn't I always say Snyder is the new Scott?

#873 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70582 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

That means he's already made his best 3 films, and the rest will always be a bit underwelming...

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#874 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Exactly. Suckerpunch is Snyder's Legend. Have you seen Suckerpunch already, Steef?

#875 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70582 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Not yet, there's something about it that turns me of.

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#876 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29619 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

It looks fucking shit?

#877 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

KM liked it ... so you might wanna give it a chance.

#878 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29619 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

I'll watch it when Film 4 eventually show it. Shame there's no button on the remote to tone the green down, though.

#879 Stefancos

Stefancos

• Members
  • 70582 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

You are not a fan of colour grading?

save_zpsf802f795.jpg

#880 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20707 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I just hope Man Of Steel won't be as ordinary as Someone To Watch Over Me (Scott's movie after Legend). But listening to Snyder ("Supes will be my most realistic movie to date"), it sounds like it will be.

Luckily I still have P.T. Anderson and Andrew Dominik.

Alex - who remembers watching Someone To Watch Over Me felt like watching TV movie of the week.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie Talk, 2012 Films, Ridley Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users