Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-ordered The Day Of The Dolphin from SAE.

Let us know if the sound quality is any better than the old SLC. The theme is pure gaelic Delerue gorgeousness.

Unfortunately I don't have the original album to compare. But yes the theme is quite lovely which was something Delerue excelled at.

Eh, I'm going to have to go with Koray on this one..

Picked up Lenny Bernstein's Candide and his suite for On the Waterfront.

At this point I don't care. Both films sucked but Revenge is just awful.

Revenge has a better score, although both are entertaining listens.

About the Jaws discussion:

Nick couldn't have edited his post, because when I first read it (before I typed my opinion on the subject), I read Nick's post. Otherwise, why would I have written that

I agree completely with Nick.

If Nick edited his post to harmonize with my opinion, I wouldn't have read his opinion and agreed with it before making the post in the first place.

Anyways...

About the Jaws discussion:

Nick couldn't have edited his post, because when I first read it (before I typed my opinion on the subject), I read Nick's post. Otherwise, why would I have written that

I agree completely with Nick.

If Nick edited his post to harmonize with my opinion, I wouldn't have read his opinion and agreed with it before making the post in the first place.

Anyways...

I can refute this, but I won't. Let's just move on.

I can tell you guys what scores I plan on getting throughout the rest of the year. Eh, let's make it this month. Babylon A.D. by Atli Orvarsson, Body Of Lies by Marc Stratenfeld, and Pushing Daisies by James Dooley.

Jaws 3-D? Oh dear....

It's actually not a bad score. Nothing amazing, but not bad at all.

I gave the CD a quick spin yesterday and absolutely agree. It's a decent score to a not so decent movie. ;)

Picked up Lenny Bernstein's Candide and his suite for On the Waterfront.

I have Candide somewhere, but only listened to it once so far I believe. I'm thinking about attending a local performance of the thing though. Of the overture I probably have 5 recordings or more by now.

Waterfront is cool. Lots of Rosenman-like tone pyramids.

The entire score to Candide is a little tough to get through. It's very plot driven. You need to see the play to really appreciate it. There are many revisions, though - the newer the better, generally. I think it's an amazing experience.

I'd love to see Candide. The recording I picked up was Bernstein's final revision that he conducted with the London Symphony. It really is great music, it's a shame it flopped on Broadway.

Wow, welcome back Renovia!

Thanks 'Ray!'

Yeah, it's been a long time, but I haven't forgotten you and I won't be able to spend 24/7 posting like I did before!

Yeah, it's been a long time, but I haven't forgotten you and I won't be able to spend 24/7 posting like I did before!

Did you indeed?! No wonder you had to simply stop at one point then ... :lol: Welcome back! :lol:

The last CD I bought is an obscure recording of an even more obscure composer - Vol. 7 of Padre Antonio Soler's harpsichord sonatas. :lol: But the music is wonderful!

;) Sonata No. 10 in B minor

I seem to have posted this in the wrong thread yesterday:

Ben_Folds_Five_-_Ben_Folds_Five.jpg

Good stuff.

Got these today:

10423.gif

10516.gif

3791.gif

10370.gif

knightsroundtable.jpg

1953.gif

So far, I've only listened to the Poledouris, which I ordered blindly because it was Poledouris and cheap. Turns out there's only 7 minutes of Poledouris on it, the rest being songs I mostly already have by the Blues Brothers (apparently it's a movie about Belushi). The Poledouris tracks didn't seem exciting on the first listen.

Good thing you came back before anyone suggested crowning MissPadmé the new queen.

Who? :joy:

The usurper. And I believe JWFangirl actually *was* queen for a short time, but she seems to have mostly disappeared. Better take your spot while it's still vacant. :(

Good thing you came back before anyone suggested crowning MissPadmé the new queen.

Who? :lol:

The usurper. And I believe JWFangirl actually *was* queen for a short time, but she seems to have mostly disappeared. Better take your spot while it's still vacant. :)

Long live the Queen!

So this is how the democracy dies... with thunderous applause. ;)

Finally got my Deluxe Matrix set and the Bernstein set in the mail. I got it for Gangs of New York but has anybody listened to the rest of it?

If you're not against trading in anyway, I'd love to work something out for that Bernstein set. I only want the Gangs rejected score, but not nearly enough to pay for the whole set.

I officially got Body Of Lies with the iTunes single of the end credits song. As well as Babylon A.D. (Orvarsson), Towelhead (T. Newman), and Songs Of The Sea: The Regatta Suite (Rona).

I got it for Gangs of New York but has anybody listened to the rest of it?

Of course. From what I recall (been a while since I listened), GONY and Natty Gann were quite nice, but Scarlet Letter was really impressive at times.

On the classical front I picked up Lenny Bernstein conducting:

Rhapsody In Blue - Gershwin

An American in Paris - Gershwin

The Firebird Suite - Stravinsky

The Rite of Spring - Stravinsky

On the film score side of things...

The Quiet Man - Victor Young

Alexander Nevsky - Prokofiev (the complete score, not the suite)

Williams on Williams - ...Williams.

I have to say, the arrangements of Hook on that album are excellent!

I received my copy of The Matrix - Deluxe Edition last week. Good stuff and excellent sound.

I've also placed an order at SAE for Boys from Brazil, The Bourne Ultimatum and the complete Indiana Jones package. It has Indy in it, so I'll be getting the whole bunch somewhere in November I expect.