Best Goldsmith Main Title (not including ST:TMP)

pi

For me its either Basic Instinct or Star Trek First Contact

Goldsmith is so awesome.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sand Pebbles -- and yes, I mean the Main Title, not the Overture. Chills my blood every time I hear it. Not that it's "scary music" per se, but ... if you've heard the album/seen the film you understand.

Runner-up: Alien.

Apart from First Contact, the main theme from The Edge gets my vote. I really can't understand why this beautiful and underrated piece isn't talked about more, I love it. In fact I love it so much that I imported it into my Elder Scrolls: Oblivion music folder. It plays when I'm exploring the wilderness and it really compliments the game.

Total Recall, Night Crossing, The Final Conflict, The Sand Pebbles, Patton and The Great Train Robbery.

All the ones mentioned here are wonderful. Of more recent Goldsmith, I think "The Edge" has a beautiful main title score.

One of my favourites has to be Damien: Omen II (quelle surprise!). I often think of that music if I am driving somewhere and there are pedestrians in the way - I 'mentally' shoo them out the way like Leo McKern does at the beginning of the movie.

However, even better than that is the opening music from Escape from the Planet of the Apes. I love it when that miltary guy says to the three 'astronauts', "Welcome gentlemen, to the United St......" then one of them removes his helmet to reveal that he is unexpectedly simian! The groovy 70s music that follows, featuring instruments as diverse as steel drums and a sitar, is just great.

Damien

Patton, The Omen, Night Crossing, Total Recall, The Shadow, Under Fire (if you include Baja Fuego which wasn't used in the film),

And one that no one will probably mention since not many have heard it...

Timeline

He managed to give us one last AMAZING main title before he passed (if not a whole darn amazing album.

to bad there isn't a JGfan.net

oh wait that would be FSM

As aggressive as the main title to Night Crossing is the rest of the score is gentle in nature.

A great and very underrated score from Goldsmith.

Papillon didn't have opening credit music BUT the first cue from the movie is probably my favorite opening cue from any Goldsmith film. That dissonant trumpet chord starts off a great score IMO. Papillon is still in my all time top 10 film scores. It's genius. Pure genius.

First Blood would have to be my favorite Goldsmith credit music. Mournful, lyrical and just plain excellent.