The Witches of Eastwick Collector's Choice CD

robthehand

I know there were complaints a few months ago that track 3 on the reissue of The Witches of Eastwick had an error. I also know that Collector's Choice were "looking into it", and trying to fix the problem. Does anyone know if they did fix it? Are there new CDs without the error? I held off ordering a copy when I heard about the problem, and I'd like to know if I can safely order a fault-free CD now. :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Collector's Choice refused to accept my defective CD so I have struck them off my list accordingly. Wankers!

David, the best places I use are Intrada & BuySoundtrax and they both have 'Witches'. Amazing Stories was on my doorstep from Intrada 4 days after being shipped - now that was quick!

- Tim.

So, if I'm understanding this clear, the error on the disc was on the master already... Therefor, the disc is OK, and will not get a better copy of this anytime soon...

So i can order a copy anyway... I was hoping this deal was solved to order... Guess it was, in a way (a very poor one).

I ordered the CD twice from Scandinavian internet retailer CDON.Com and both times they sent me faulty CD. Apparently Collector's Choice has not notified retailers about the error. But apparently they are making another pressing which is due to be released on the 27th of June.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed they are going to re-issue Elmer Bernstein's "The Three Amigos". Hopefully that won't have any problems.

I noticed they are going to re-issue Elmer Bernstein's "The Three Amigos".

Oooh, nice. I like that score. 8O

Hopefully that won't have any problems.

Well I won't be ordering this one straight away... when it's released, by the way? I can't see a date on the site.

• 2 weeks later...

So these problems appear to be solved then?:

Caveats: mastering anomalies allow minor digital noises during "Maleficio" plus track index desired after "Daryl's Secrets" instead occurs during following track.

I ran Maleficio through an eq and then listened to it on headphones. There is nothing to be found that should not be there originally. Really, if there is anything wrong with the track I just can't hear it. However, I don't understand this track index problem with Daryl's Secrets. Everything seems okay with these tracks.

I've got a mail from Screenarchives saying there was never a correction...?

Well, i can only comment on what I hear on the CD and there seems to be no noticeable error. I even compared the cues with my CD-r copy of the original release and the DVD score and the sound of the cues in question is basically identical.

Maybe screen archives has only ordered the new pressing run with the postponed release date and thus wasn't aware of any changes that were made during the last delay.

I hope I can post this clip (it's only 7 seconds :wave:).

First is a short clip from the original release of the score, second is from the Collector's Choice CD - notice the other sound (a sort of ticking) in the second clip. The sound goes on for much longer, but its probably clearest here.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S3W92C7O

I can't play your clip for whatever reason. But someone else posted a clip of the faulty version at intrada's board and I can assure you that the ticking does not appear in track 3 on my copy or anywhere else on the disc. What I can hear though is a very minor background hiss on some tracks but that also appears on the original.

Again, I bought my copy from screen archives and that's by far no guarantee that all other retailers received copies from the corrected pressing, so you should still be careful where you buy it. For now, it seems like screen archives does not sell copies with the error, so this might be the safest retailer so far. If you are still unsure, wait for further confirmation from more people who bought the CD from other retailers.

Is it a digital click or could it be like The Last Crusade where you can hear the clicking of the metronome (or something similar.)

It's a digital click.

It's actually something that appears on my copy of Jurassic Park too. But that's one of my oldest CDs and so beat-up, it might have something to do with all the scratches on the surface...

Got mine this morning, and the clicking is not there. (And I listened to Rob's clip to know what it sounded like.) So it looks like Amazon's batch is okay.

BTW, the actual CD cover has a red border all the way around it, unlike the cover that's been floating around:

B000F3A9MQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66890695_.jpg

Splendid, let's hope the batches are not mixed or something. I might order mine from Screenarchives, despite the mail that said the click is still there. But I trust Bigmacgyver's judgment (thanks for your comments by the way :mrgreen:).

So, Miguel, have you received your copy already? I'm wondering whether all CDs from Screenarchives are good copies, or would you just have to have plain luck?

See this thread: http://www.intrada.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...?t=401&start=30

Thanks BigMacgyver for posting your comments by the way :P

No problem, I am very interested in solving this mystery just like anyone else. Again, I can't give any guarantees beyond my flawless copy. My copy is just one among thousands, so please be aware that there could still be copies with the error out there. We can't be sure and that's a really big problem. It's frustrating that collector's choice don't want to clear things up. We deserve that.

I'll be getting my order along with Merkel's, and since he's the one ordering it this time (our last joint order was Amazing Stories, and I was the one who took care of it), he opted to go with Amazon. When we get our copies, I'm sure one of us will elt everyone knpws how things worked out.

If anybody gets a new one without the click, and has the old one with the click, I'll take it if you want to get rid of it via trade or what not. I don't care, I got the original WB version anyway, just want the new one for the sake of my CD shelf collection.

I found this on the Film Score Monthly message board:

I'm still following this case waiting for clarification/solution, if any of u guys is intersted too, there is usefull information on intrada board posted by Eh Tar.

"The wrong version of the reissue has this :  

"Z53065"

"MOS1"  

"45 CCM2 685-2 01"  

The right version (no wild edit, no sound problem) has this:  

"Z53065"  

"MOS1"  

"45 CCM2 685-2 RE-1 01"  

This RE-1 changing is the only way to make the difference beetwing bad sounding reissues and good sounding ones (except to hear it of course) ! So you don't know what's you're buying: good or bad version"

I was considering getting one from ScreenArchives (along with some other CDs). How many good and bad from there. Anybody? Again, if I get the bad one in a trade, I don't mind, but if I'm buying new, I'd want a good one.

Well, I also have the old one on CD-r and the DVD score and I really can't notice a difference in sound quality when I compare the CC re-issue to any of these. Some tracks of the CC even contain a very minor background hiss which I believe is identical to the other releases.

The current batch at Amazon.com appear to be from the corrected pressing. My copy arrived this morning, and it's numbered RE-1 as indicated above.

External packaging is identical to the faulty pressing. The only way to tell the difference is to crack it open and read the matrix numbers on the centre underside of the disc.

• 3 weeks later...
The current batch at Amazon.com appear to be from the corrected pressing.  My copy arrived this morning, and it's numbered RE-1 as indicated above.  

External packaging is identical to the faulty pressing.  The only way to tell the difference is to crack it open and read the matrix numbers on the centre underside of the disc.

Hey guys i would like to WARN you, after a/m confirmation on 31 july i have ordered Witches of Eastwick from Amazon US, its arrive today but unfortunatelly its old FAULTY pressing (not RE-1), so its still a lottery, ofcourse i have written mail to Amazon and i will see how they deal with it.