1941 Release

JMan

Didnt know if this is new news at all, but I was at B&N the other day and saw a 1941 CD sitting on the racks. Im probably not going to buy it, considering I have 3 of those tracks on Boston Pops Recordings. Does anyone like the Swing song Williams wrote for that film?

Also, The Battle for Hollywood is on the Spielberg CD which I think is a very entertaining song.

JMan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CD was released on the old Bay Cities label then re-issued by Varese Sarabande and is still available thru them.

As far as I know Varese just did a straight re-issue. I don't think there was any re-mastering done. This is one of my least favorite albums as far as content goes. It has the explosion sound effects over the 1941 March and End Credits plus it has a couple of snippets of dialogue over "The Finale" and "To Hollywood And Glory". I wouldn't mind an expanded re-mastered score to this film.

The DVD has an isolated score and last time I looked it was under $7.95 at Walmart or Suncoast.

If I'm not mistaken, "The Battle of Hollywood" is a concert suite, comprised of multiple pieces from 1941. It doesn't appear all at once in the film.

"Swing, Swing, Swing" is from the big dance scene in the film. It's a fantastic piece of music, and some consider it among the finest moments in a Spielberg film.

Neil

Indysolo is correct. The Battle of Hollywood on the Spielberg Pops album is a concert version of various sequences in the film, and it's material is taken from the soundtrack CD tracks "Riot at the USO" and conveniently enough, "The Battle for Hollywood".

And I absolutely LOVE Swing, Swing, Swing. I think it's great how it serves a dual purpose, both providing the setting for the dance number, and accenting certain aspects of the rivalry that takes place between the Wally and the other guy (sorry, can't remember his name). There's a slightly extended (and more fully orchestrated) version on the Boston Pops album "Swing, Swing, Swing" (again, convenient).

...the rivalry that takes place between the Wally and the other guy (sorry, can't remember his name).

Corporal Chuck Sitarski played by Treat Williams.

Neil

Swing Swing Swing is missing from the bootleg. There is the short intro for the Dance Contest but the actual cue (it is brilliant how it fits the film and action so seemlesly and still comes off as a self contained and fun piece that flows effortlessly) is not on the bootleg which is a shame. And as many have stated the Battle for Hollywood is actually comprised of music from several sections of the score.

These are at least featured in the concert suite:

a) the "Planes on the Brain" motif refering to the Donna's infatuation for the planes.

B) The Rakes of Mallow, the traditional Irish piece used in the Big Brawl sequence

c) if I remember correctly also the Hell Cats over Hollywood (title from the boot I have) music is incorporated into the suite.

As far as I know Varese just did a straight re-issue. I don't think there was any re-mastering done. This is one of my least favorite albums as far as content goes. It has the explosion sound effects over the 1941 March and End Credits plus it has a couple of snippets of dialogue over "The Finale" and "To Hollywood And Glory". I wouldn't mind an expanded re-mastered score to this film.

Hmm..I actually LIKE the explosions and James Belushi. :P:wave:

You should buy it. Nothing is better than having a full cd release of the score.

That much as a full CD....

Let's say about 40 mins of music...

Yes. Short. At least it was paid for though.

You should buy it. Nothing is better than having a full cd release of the score.

That much as a full CD....

Let's say about 40 mins of music...

Yes. Short. At least it was paid for though.

and well done.

But sometimes i think we should pay for minutes, not CDs

Some releases of about 30 minutes are very angering.

You modest S.O.B. :P

I haven't listened to the original CD in awhile but I believe the "The Battle Of Hollywood" cue covers a section of the Night Club brawl and Capt. Birkhead's takeoff in the plane.

Hmm..I actually LIKE the explosions and James Belushi. ;):mrgreen:

That's John Belushi. James' brother. Died before you were born, probably.

He was best in Animal House. Not counting Saturday Night Live, of course. I still think of Belushi whenever I see a Toshiro Mifune film. He was also the best thing about 1941 (other than the music), but even he couldn't save it.

Come to think of it, Mifune was also in 1941. I wonder if he said anything to Belushi about "Samurai Delicatessen?"

Ahh... Blues Brothers! That brings back some memories of mine. I haven't seen that in years!

I love his shy nerdy character in Neighbors though. He was perfect in that role.

Plus, I'm biased... I grew up watching that movie. For whatever reason, it was always on when I watched tv.

Hmm..I actually LIKE the explosions and James Belushi. :P:mrgreen:

That's John Belushi. James' brother. Died before you were born, probably.

Ah. Ok! Silly me. :oops:

Jim Belushi wishes he were John. He doesn't possess any of his brother's spark or borderline psychosis. He's affable enough, but his movies are easily forgotten.

I saw Jim on Broadway once, as the Pirate King in The Pirates of Penzance (replacing Kevin Kline, who was off making the terrible movie), and it was like a different actor. Jim was turning somersaults and handsprings in true Belushi style. Of course this was back in the early'80s.

Addressing the original topic, I would definitely pick up the soundtrack, JMan. It's from smack-dab in the middle of Williams' golden era, and the march as heard on the original soundtrack (cannon fire and all) is among the composer's finest. It far outshines the Pops re-recordings.