Is Williams the highest paid orchestral composer on earth?

Quintus

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hans Zimmer.

Before that it was James Horner...

Then Hans Zimmer again (post-Lion King)

And many years before that it was John Williams.

Hans Zimmer.

Before that it was James Horner.  

Really, I must say I'm suprised by this. Are you talking annual gross or up front fee?

Hans Zimmer.

Before that it was James Horner.  

Really, I must say I'm suprised by this. Are you talking annual gross or up front fee?

Hans Zimmer's is the most sought composer in Hollywood because he has:

1) Mass appeal in this day and age (way beyond anything Williams, Goldsmith, or even Barry could dream of)

2) Very Efficient (see Pirates, hate it or not, it was scored in almost no time and the album sold like hot cakes).

Zimmer is pretty much one of the only composers (aside from Horner and his Titanic score) to be able to compete with the "pop" music releases, and because of MV he can cut costs that would otherwise be spent on normal music budget material (a full orchestra and everything else needed to bring the music to fruition).

1) Mass appeal in this day and age (way beyond anything Williams, Goldsmith, or even Barry could dream of)

As far as Williams in concerned some might disagree.

You pick out an average Joe on the street and ask them to hum some of Williams' themes you'll succeed. Ask them about Zimmer I doubt you'll get anything.

I don't think 30 years from now some aspiring composer and director making a remake of Crimson Tide will say "we have to use Zimmer's classic music."

As far as Williams in concerned some might disagree.

People hear Revenge of the Sith and go "Hey Star Wars!" they don't go out and buy it.

People hear Gladiator and go out and make it one the best selling film scores of this century thus far. :?

Sucks...but...that's just how it is.

That's the average music fan's problem, not the composers'. If they don't know mature and good music when they hear it - well it's only their loss, and composers know they have large, cult fanbases.

Sales don't mean anything. Do people honestly believe that 50 years from now Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez will be held in the same high esteem as The Beatles and Elvis?

Gladiator also occupies a majority of used CD sections as well.

that phrase is very wrong.Zimmer doesn't have mass appeal with anyone except action movie producers.He might have sold a soundtrack or two pretty well,that's about it(like Horner,to teenage girls who like DiCaprio,Russel Crow and Johnny Depp).I don't think most people that care about film scores get excited over the latest Zimmer release..except you maybe.

K.m.

Very true Mark - I've only seen Gladiator sell millions from Zimmer, and that was to a wildly popular movie (got me into scores partially too).

And yes, I think much of his work comes from Bruckheimer, who has the balls to call it the 'Bruckheimer Sound' :?

the only people I know that bought the Titanic album were girls that normally had no interest in soundtracks whatsoever.And they bought it for the song mostly.I presume Gladiator has a "gladiator song" too.

K.M.

that phrase is very wrong.Zimmer doesn't have mass appeal with anyone except action movie producers.He might have sold a soundtrack or two pretty well,that's about it.I don't think most people that care about film scores get excited over the latest Zimmer release..except you maybe.

K.m.

Please, people that care about film scores? Talk about a tiny fraction of the pie. Studio brass and many producers don't give a damn if film score fans wet their pants at the sign of the newest film score by Hans Zimmer. They care that a film gets a score that the majority of the audience is comfortable with, and Joe The Average is willing to buy if he likes the movie enough.

Zimmer and co. have consistently proven that their scores are very accessible, and appeal to masses, because they write in a style that most people who aren't into film scores can be comfortable with, and willing to buy.

I presume Gladiator has a "gladiator song" too.

If you count that crappy makes no sense jibberish cue by Lisa Gerrard then yes it has a song.

Sales don't mean anything. Do people honestly believe that 50 years from now Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez will be held in the same high esteem as The Beatles and Elvis?

Did anyone in this thread say sales mean a thing?

2) Very Efficient (see Pirates, hate it or not, it was scored in almost no time and the album sold like hot cakes).

Zimmer is pretty much one of the only composers (aside from Horner and his Titanic score) to be able to compete with the "pop" music releases, and because of MV he can cut costs that would otherwise be spent on normal music budget material (a full orchestra and everything else needed to bring the music to fruition).

One might take those comments that way.

Well that's not what it meant. John Williams obviously has the superior quality, by far. In the eyes of money, Hans Zimmer is the superior investment. Because of the simple fact that people "ain't that bright."

If you count that crappy makes no sense jibberish cue by Lisa Gerrard then yes it has a song.

I find Now You Are Free a very entertaining and memorable track, and have done since sometime in 2001 when I first got into scores.

I confess that back in 1998 I bought Celine Dion's Titanic song on cassette. Probably didn't even know the film had a score back then - so shameful I know, but even now I don't hold the score in very high regard.

I find Now You Are Free a very entertaining and memorable track, and have done since sometime in 2001 when I first got into scores.

Well you can't win em all. :P

The last CD I bougth by Zimmer was Gladiator.

A year or two ago, I stoped downloading his music. Did I miss much? I don't think so....

Elfman has the highest salary to date for Hulk, Horner has the highest take from royalties - Titanic.

the only people I know that bought the Titanic album were girls that normally had no interest in soundtracks whatsoever.And they bought it for the song mostly.I presume Gladiator has a "gladiator song" too.

I bought the Titanic album. For the score.

Got me into film music, actually.

Titanic was the kick-off. Jurassic Park cemented it.

I recently got back to Titanic. Love Horner's action writing in this one (yes, I know, anvils galore, yada yada yada, I still love it).

I bought the Titanic album. For the score.

Got me into film music, actually.

In all seriousness I find the Back To Titanic album to be a better listening experience because Horner uses the LSO and relies less on synths. The major parts of the score divided into 2 suites.

I think I still have that on tape somewhere...

But the dialogue in the tracks annoyed me. If I wanted to hear the dialogue, I could have just recorded the sound from the movie...

I think the dialogue is only over Celine's song and a couple of source tracks. I haven't listened to it in awhile but I believe the 2 main suites are dialogue free.

The suites are, but there's dialogue in the Irish party music (which was notably absent from the original release, and something I remember looking forward to in hearing on CD).

HEY! I LIKED that 'song'!!

My source was someone who would know. Zimmer makes alot sure, but he has to share it with all his drones.

Zimmer has his musical children that he is planting seeds in which I think is stupid. For ex Harry Gregson WIlliams, Klaus Badlet. Yuck. If Williams had someone like that then itd be safe.

You know it's amazing-I've been a Star Wars geek for the last 29 years and I have yet to even approach getting burned out on the greatest score of all time.Williams makes more than a comfortable living probably just off of "Cantina Band" alone and sometimes this "who makes how much" jazz just really detracts.If I was a composer with the number one soundtrack album and I was still alive to appreciate that fact-THAT would probably floor me faster than any amount of money ever could.As long as I could ply my trade and keep it up to the standards that I have set for myself-NOT against others,then I'd do music 'till I dropped dead.